Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda civic 191 auto diesel.

Options
  • 12-07-2023 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got one of these?

Really like the car but there’s a couple of things bothering me:

infotainment system is laggy as fcuk- are there any updates that could sort this?

No normal cruise control only ACC which is annoying on a motorway at 120kph when you have it set at the lowest setting (getting as near to the vehicle in front as the ACC allows) the ACC kicks in really early and reduces speed.

This is my first auto so maybe this is normal, but sometimes it really overrevs and can be kinda clunky or something going up gear? This is very random though no pattern to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chefjom

Have a manual one.

Infotainment is the way it is for me. Laggy and a bit out of date.

ACC does seem a bit safe.

Service intervals are too short.

all in all though super economical, totally reliable and not the worst to drive. I’ve done 80k in years and nothing gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

That has the ZF nine speed doesn't it? They're known for being a bit cranky with sometimes poor changes. I think the way it's designed means that either one or two of the possible gearchanges feel different to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Yeah it’s a good car just improving a couple of little things would make it a really good car like the infotainment system and offering CC aswell as ACC.

Surely that would just be a software update I’d imagine.

Yeah the 9 speed.

As I say it seems very random when the clunky gear change happens but it’s not very often either.

If it’s known for it that grand, as I was worried it might be developing something.

Do you know is there anything to look out for in them- I’ve already got the air con condenser replaced under warranty, but are they known for anything else to go on them?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Honestly the diesel is probably the best model of that generation civic. That and the 1.5 petrol auto.

While the ACC can be a bit annoying at times its actually fairly good once you get it set the way you want it.

The infotainment unit shouldnt be that laggy - have you ever restarted it? Most people dont and it doesnt shutdown when the car is off but Id recommend a restart once every few weeks.Turn car on and Hold the power button for up to 1 minute until it powers off and keep holding it until you see the Honda badge with like a row of dots going around it then let go of the power button. From experience it makes it a bit snappier - Id say it clears out the old files etc in the background. Then theres the "app" store - Not the google one but Hondas one - see if theres any updates in there. Then you could also see if theres any actual android updates as well.To be honest theres always updates being released but its a main dealer update - you could ask at next service.

Regarding the gearbox - Ive always found it responsive. Have you had the oil changed? Its due between 50-60kms on these. Its also a special Honda atf oil so dont throw any old atf into it.

• Advertisement

Excellent advice thanks very much hellrazer.

‘I’ve never done a reset on the infotainment so I’ll give that a bash.

I’ll have to check the service history to see if the gear box oil has been changed- would that cost much on top of a full service, and I presume I’d have to request that?

I went to cranleys at the red cow who are a main Honda dealer and they replaced the air con condenser under warranty which was great- so I might go back to them for the service and oil change?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

Can’t comment on the rest of the car I’m afraid ( I have a Civic but it’s an older one) but if you’re worried about the gearbox and if it’s still under guarantee maybe mention it to your dealer while the going is good and just in case? Mr Google tells me that owners in America of various Jeeps with the nine speed had issues with it randomly going into neutral but that was years ago and was apparently specific to Jeep and their software.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I don't have a Civic, but from what I read online, you can switch from ACC to standard cruise control by pressing and holding the radar range button for a second or two, and the options to switch from one type to the other will appear on your dash.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Feature is disabled in the EU.Its ACC or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Totally disabled, or a dealer only setting?

My Toyota has ACC, standard cruise and speed limiter all cycling on the one switch. You'd think Honda would be able keep up.

Yeah as hellrazer says that doesn’t seem to work. Looks like ACC only which is a bit of a head melt to be honest.

Totally disabled. Its only in the EU though for some stupid reason. US models what you said will work no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭User1998

VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat also have ACC with no normal cruise control. You only get normal cruise control if ACC isn’t an option

Thats crazy tbh.

Really wish I had the option.

one other thing is i am trying to order two side light indicator units (one side had the cover broke off, the other is full of condensation), for the car like below:

Honda Civic's Side Marker Lamp and Turn Signal Light Housing for 2016- (carlightbulb.com)

but I've put this website into trustpilot and the website has no reviews.

Can anyone recommend a site to buy these?

You might get them under warranty as a known issue even though its outside. Call to Honda Ireland might work.

Otherwise theyre around 90 each from Honda.

Hi all,

Ive just been out in the civic and there was a fairly loud clunk as the car changed gear.

The D on the dash then started flashing and it felt like the car wouldn’t rev (like it was in limp mode).

I got to where I was going which meant driving it for a min or two more until I got to a car park- I tried to go into reverse but it wouldn’t let me and just went to P instead.

I turned off the ignition and pulled the keys out, gave it a min or two, and then started it back up and she was back to normal.

Ive looked it up and it seems to be a transmission problem?

Anyone come across this before?

Low transmission fluid level usually - did you ever get the gear oil done as I said a few months back?

• Advertisement

I rang the garage to quote me on that and I was told it would cost €500 to do it as the oil was mad expensive- however I now regret not doing it then as it probably needs it.

Im going to have to ring up again and book it in 🤦‍♂️

Just buy the oil off the parts counter and pop me a PM and Ill give you the name of a very good lad that will do it cheaper.

It should be ATF-Z1 - its not that expensive. Around 15 a litre and you`ll probably need 3.5 litres - I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

€500 won't buy a new gearbox: change the ATF.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

hi all,

I'm back looking for a bit of advice on a couple of things, but firstly just to confirm i got the transmission oil changed as recommended by other posters here- thanks for the help so far!

ok so:

1) I've an issue with my alarm that has just started this morning- the alarm is going off no lights flashing and i cant turn it off at all. It stays on for about 10 seconds and then goes off for probably 5 seconds, then repeats even when driving! This went on for 15mins or so. I left it alone for 30mins and then unlocked the car- all was fine- i then opened the door and the alarm started again, cycle repeated itself etc.

any ideas?

2) I've recently bought this:

CarlinKit 3.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter for Factory Wired CarPlay Car, New red UI interface upgrade, Compatible with Audi/Porsche/Mercedes/VW/KIA/Hyundai...Two-wire configuration: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

to upgrade the car to wireless apple car play and now i need a wireless charging mat that fits nicely into the 191 civic.

Can anyone recommend a wireless charging mat?

I had this in mind:

Car Wireless Charger for 10th Gen Honda Civic 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 Center Console Accessory Panel 10W Fast Charging Phone Charger Pad for iPhone 11 Pro Max XS XR X 8 Samsung S20 S10 S9 S8 Huawei : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

but its setup for LHD cars only as the cutout on the mat for the existing cable gap is on the RHS as opposed to the LHS.

Also- there's no way the wireless apple car play dongle i purchased would affect the alarm going off would it.........................

1 - Alarm - Hold the power button on the radio until you see the Honda logo with like a circle of dots going around it.Let go of power button. The alarm goes through the audio unit and this just resets it.

2.Cant help with the wireless mat.

Its not the apple car play that affected the alarm. Used to see it all the time - just restarting the audio unit fixes it most times.

Advertisement