Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Play Arcade-Orientated Club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jaysus man, another classic! Love that a lot of these have come from sites around Ireland. It's a bit special.

You must have one of the best hoards of larger DX machines now in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Embrace your 40s man.....where things really actually were better back in our day 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭dav09

Thanks folks, I'm not too far from 30 myself but yeah most of the Arcade hey day was before my generation. I went to a retro console/ E Sports event on a trip to London recently and was also an eye opener, will implement things I seen there into this. Trying to think outside the box with this as much as possible as for years it's been proven in the UK stand alone arcades just don't work. This thing has actually sort of spawned from trying to think outside the box as I rent a couple of units that I could put towards just renting one unit accessible to the public. I have been involved with some arcades here too, and I know well that certain good games only get played by people 40+ for nostalgia (i.e. Golden Axe, Shinobi) and those people will likely visit once a year if even. What I've learned is generally important is a recognizable theme (Pacman, Spiderman, Time Crisis, Simpsons) and interactive cabinets (music games, drivers, gun games, etc). The DLX thing is just something I personally want to collect, will probably just operate 2/3 of them as a sot of center piece ideally Cycraft, Afterburner DLX and Ridge Racer most likely, maybe eventually swap in and out the other few. I know cabinets I have like Paperboy won't get a lot of play, I suppose again more or a center piece as it's rare along with some other bits.

I have absolutely 0 interest in the likes of E Sports or Fortnite but I know those LAN setups work well, I suppose the main thing is to keep it hardcore arcade focused, but maybe have some other things on the side to keep it all viable, have looked at partnering with some people to potentially run that side of it. I'm definitely taking my time with it as I don't want to get it wrong, hence why I'm aiming next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Token are doing corporate events/work do's/parties and wedding functions as well.

They're so busy in there now and quite space restricted so I don't think it matters what mix they have everything gets played.

Just going on anecdotal stuff I've heard the guy runs Arcade Heroes and maybe the guy runs Level Up in Limerick said. Older people will come once in a blue moon but the more traditional stuff doesn't get as much interested as the more modern stuff. I'm old and I make a beeline towards Mai Mai and Groove Coaster myself as well cos I can't play those at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The lads up the north running base arcade have a good business model, would you consider something similar?

1 weekend/month ticketed event. They tend to keep the same venue and have storage space in the same building for most the machines, finding that venue, transport and storage is the difficult bit though.

for anyone who hasn’t been or doesn’t know about it, check it out here

https://basearcade.com/

Advertisement