Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another cinema

Options
  • 10-07-2023 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just heard that Omniplex has bought Scotch hall! I know a cinema was meant to be opening up stairs but does Drogheda really need 3 feckin cinemas!? Of all the amenities Drogheda is lacking, why does such a small place need multiple cinemas all within walking distance of each other?.. I dont know but any time I go to the cinema which isnt very often, maybe twice a year, theres not exactly ques lined up out the door! Whose approving all these cinemas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

"Of all the amenities Drogheda is lacking...."

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

Given that the HSE have apparently been buying up the shops in the Boyne Centre, how long will the cinema last there (if it's still open, that is)

The cinema catchment area extends way beyond the town, so somebody did the sums and reckon it's a runner.

What Drogheda needs is a cinema that shows more than just the latest blockbusters.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Teapot30

I know allot of people in Drogheda go to the cinema in Ashbourne, Skerries or Blanchardstown as the food is fresh and its more value for money.

The cinema in the Boyne centre is still open, its extremely over priced and they show a small selection of movies that are already shown in the town centre. Genuinely cant see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Teapot30

Well for starters theres very few clothes shops in the town, go to the Marshes and they have H&M, New Look, Tiger, Rituals, Diesal, Sketchers and a food court upstairs. Its very difficult to buy anything thats not very run of the mill in Drogheda. The parking & traffic is dreadful, theres nothing like a decent spa facility like there is in Dundalk & Carlingford. Theres nothing for teenagers to do, the Boomerang club is primarily open when the kids are in school. theres no facilities for local artists like Dundalk has creative spark among others where artists can use facilities to create work and network. Theres no institute of technology and its a shame for anyone wanting to return to education or start a third level education as not everyone can travel to Dundalk or Dublin. We dont even have a testing centre for learner drivers, anyone in Drogheda wanting to do their driving test has to go to Dundalk or Navan. I could go on all day about the lacking facilities in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

No improvements to the road network in last 20 years while the population grew by tens of thousands? Thousands of new houses have been built for sure.

Town centre all decay and dereliction, and no real public spaces (even Dundalk has some)

Just one childrens' playground for town this size.

etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I went through West Street town center, and it's heartbreaking seeing half the stores empty.

I refuse to believe that absolutely no one wants them; I go to other towns and their main streets are full of shops, even if it's "mom and pop" style businesses rather than big chains.

Is it a rent/rates issue in the town center?

Agree with Positron and Teapot though, Drogheda is massively neglected, on some fundamental levels. Occasionally some paint gets slapped onto an area and we go "Isn't that nice", but the basic planning of the town is massively lacking.

Advertisement