Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on eating before you cycle

Options
  • 08-07-2023 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭

The rule of hand is that you usually wait 2 to 4 hours after eating before you start your cycle, depending on the size of the meal of course. But why is that and what is happening to you if, say, you eat something and then head off on a 90 minute cycle 15 or 30 minutes afterwards? That something being a bowl of soup or a baguette maybe? Or bigger like an 8oz steak?

Why is it verboten to eat before cycling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

Never heard of that "rule" and certainly never followed it, I'd eat a big bowl of meusli and go out for a spin most mornings, as long as you're not going to be flat to the mat there would be no issue. Even for races I'd have breakfast/dinner an hour or so before hand and eat away all through to keep the energy up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's probably something to you read about properly digesting your food and avoiding the likes of cramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’d say it’s avoiding certain types of foods that will prevent rapid digestion of CHO on the bike.

For a 90min cycle a light breakfast is sufficent & just your chosen electrolyte drink for the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Think that rule applies more to swimming. I'd often head off straight after a bowl of cereal or a sandwich etc, just don't go mental straight away and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Waiting 2 to 4 hours after eating is a mad amount of time btw, if I waited even 2 hours I'd prob need eat again to get out the door 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Personally I feel crap if I cycle within even 2 hours of eating. If I go in the morning would just have a coffee and have breakfast when I get back - could be 2 or even 3 hours. In the evening usually make dinner and leave mine til I get home, while the family eat theirs without me. I also don't like eating too late in the evening either though, so bit of a dilemma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Depends on the type of cycle.

3 or 4 hour spin. Need to eat something before or I'd be stopping for food. Don't tend to go mad heavy. Today had bit of pasta, plenty veg and some fruit after.

For a hard 60 to 120 min I'd deffo wait at least an hour. Probably two. Be very careful I'd not have anything that could cause me indigestion. But I'm susceptible.

A lot better than running. Any sort of decent run and I'd need 4 hours gap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, I'll admit, it's a "google thing", returned when I typed "how long to wait to cycle after eating".

It seems the general recommendation appears to be to wait a couple of hours before you head off and the size of the meal is obviously a factor. I wouldn't be trying to cycle up Howth after a Vindaloo.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If I was heading out for a decent spin, I'd always eat beforehand. If it was morning thennid have eaten a bowl of porridge with honey. I'd also be eating bananas while out (usually 1 every 30km or so)

Advertisement