Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Questions

Options
  • 08-07-2023 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

We have a fixed term lease, 2 month in. Landlord wants to change the lease, and install cctv to monitor who is coming and going from the property. Is this ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Do you live with the LL? Otherwise I very much doubt it, why does he want to monitor comings and goings, are you running a business from the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭wench

No, it is not ok. You are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of the property, and that kind of intrusive oversight would breach that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭dennyk

First, the landlord can't unilaterally change the lease; you would have to agree to any changes, and you're under no obligation to sign a new lease at any time. If your current lease is longer than 6 months, you'll have Part 4 rights and your landlord can only end the tenancy for certain allowable reasons even after the lease ends; you don't have to sign a new lease to remain in the property, and your tenancy will continue indefinitely under the terms of your original lease (aside from legally permitted periodic rent reviews to change the rent amount).

Regarding security cameras, that's an area that isn't really explicitly covered by current legislation. A landlord installing security cameras on the exterior of their property might be legal, as they could claim it's just a reasonable security measure to protect the property from criminal activity, but using those cameras to spy on their tenants and harass them about their activity on the property or bringing guests over or whatnot would most likely not be allowed. Installing cameras inside the property would be much, much harder to justify for the landlord, however, and would likely be deemed a violation of data protection laws, as there is no lawful purpose for such cameras that would outweigh the tenants' right to privacy.

If your landlord does install security cameras, they would be required to follow GDPR regulations at the very least; the personal or household exemption wouldn't apply in this case since the property isn't the landlord's home.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ConfusedNow13

Thank you! Lease is for a year. I’m not unreasonable if the changes are minimal I would be open. But there’s talk of cctv and of an app to monitor the heating. Which seems wrong as we pay utilities and internet. So this would cost us wouldn’t it? And the landlord also wants us to cover their bank fees as the rent goes to a foreign account and there is a fee. 20£ they want us to cover when lease doesn’t mention that. I know we should be happy to have a place but this all seems a bit pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,174 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Honestly, it sounds as though your landlord doesn't really understand the nature of the landlord-tenant relationship. This is your home, not his, and the notion of him monitoring who goes in and out of your home is outrageous. And as for why he imagines that you are in some way responsible for his bank charges, that is utterly beyond me.

The guy is probably not malicious, just clueless, but I would be drawing some polite but firm lines here, to help guide him towards an understanding of his position. The lease agreement has already been finalised; you are not really interested in making any variation to it unless it is substantially to your advantage. You don't want what you do in your own home to be monitored by CCTV, apps or any other technology. And you don't want to hear anything at all about your landlord's banking business, including what fees he pays to his bank; his finances are none of your business just as your utility bills are none of his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the money is going to a foreign account you need to keep back 20% of the rent and pay that to revenue, this is the process for non resident landlords who don't engage a local agent. .

Expecting you to pay extra because their account charges then to receive Euro, tell them to F Off for the €20 and that they can't put any cameras around your home while you are renting it. Try to drag out the replies till you get to the 6 months and enter Part 4 tenancy.

Sense we have a 1 year lease there’s really not much they can do right?

Ok we are thinking of leaving. Landlord came for inspection. No issue but said one room was a hell hole as it’s the room we are using to unpack there are cables and broken down boxes. It needs to get sorted I know but it’s not dirty it’s cluttered. Then said kitchen was lovey but they prefer the bathrooms cleaner and then asked if I was wiping the car tires before using the garage. This is madness.

Advertisement