Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think is causing dementia and Alzheimer's?

Options
  • 06-07-2023 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Had a discussion today with work colleagues about why this has become so common. I know many people in my area who have sadly developed the disease, a colleague maintained it is the high levels of fluoride in the water that is possibly causing it or foods.

Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The causes of Alzheimer's are largely unknown, but extensive studies have never established any link with fluoridation of water. There is a genetic factor, meaning that some people are more prone to developing Alzheimer's than others, but it is quite weak. There are some lifestyle factors - people who maintain exercise, intellectual stimulation and social activity in later life are less likely to develop Alzheimer's; people who smoke, experience high levels of stress or get insufficient sleep are more likely to.

Rising rates of Alzheimer's are probably mainly due to the fact that more people are living longer. In the past, people died of other conditions before they developed Alzheimer's; now, they survive to develop Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's affects women more than men, which is consistent with the fact that women live longer.

It's important not to overstate the prevalence of Alzheimer's. Worldwide, about 6% of people over 65 have Alzheimer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The easy way to answer this is, does Ireland (which fluoridates water) have a much higher incidence than those countries which do not?

The answer is a resounding no, so fluoridation cannot be the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭juno10353

Early onset Alzheimer's is becoming more common. Such a horrible diagnosis to be given. It is said that about 1% is genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While these are dreadful diseases and a deeply sad way to see out the last years of your life, I don't see that the discussion as posed has a great deal of merit. It does not matter what I think may be the cause; sensible and open minded study of medical research would be more helpful. Offering speculation based on random notions is the way of conspiracy theory.

Looking for something to blame distracts from having to actually do something yourself. It has been established that leading a mentally active life probably helps avoid Alzheimer's and dementia. Even if it is not a guarantee it is better than resigning yourself to being a victim of outside events.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

Finding a cure for it is far more important in my opinion. It's a dreadful condition and the projections for the numbers of people who will devleop it int he comi

I wonder how many people with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia were packed off to psychiatric hospitals? We used to be very good at putting people away. There might also have been a stigma about it (somebody might clarify this for me) and it wasn't talked about. There's also a possibility that people with these conditions just died off young due to malnutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭thegame983

The longer people live the more common these diseases will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, not just malnutrition. Not even mainly malnutrition. People died of stroke, heart disease, other cardiovascular conditions, cancer, you name it. Some of these diseases we have reduced the incidence of; other we have improved treatment of. The result is that more people live long, and therefore more people develop the diseases of older age, of which Alzheimer's is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People living longer, being diagnosed correctly and communicating more about it in richer countries ?

Advertisement