Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelscoil or no

Options
  • 05-07-2023 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice, my daughter started junior infants last September 2022, I sent her to school a little early, as she only turned 5 April 2023, we were unexpectedly relocated and I have enrolled her in a gaelscoil. I am going to start her in junior infants again, as I don't want her leaving school too young.

I have some concerns regarding the Irish speaking,

Is she going to be behind with her English as a subject, and all the elements taught with it

The gaelscoil is the only school I felt truly comfterble in, as a school, not just because of the Irish aspect

Is the fact that everything is in Irish going to be trouble for the other subjects?

It would be fantastic if she was a fluent Irish speaker, but not at the expense of her other subjects

I hope someone who either went to a gaelscoil or teaches in one can help

Any advice welcome 🙂

TIA

X

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭backwards_man

My 3 kids went to a gaelscoil primary and are fluent in everyday Irish. Its total immersian and honestly I think all primary schools should follow this ethos. My other half is english, we are non practising in any religion and I am irish born and bred and my spoken irish has inceased exponentially since interacting with the school for the past 9 years. Honestly go for it, there is one critisism in that students with learning difficukltes dont get support they need and tend to drop out but its has not impacted me so I cant speak about those details. If it is an option I would highly recommend it. It has given my kids an identity and they love the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mcgragger

1000000% send your kids to a Gaelscoil.

Languages are no problem.

My 10 and 8 year old are thriving

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Katie 94

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Just to advise Katie - you are not allowed to do this. Schools and the Department will only allow Children to stay back if there is a serious issue and it would be massively detrimental to the child. I assume you have not told the Gaelscoil that your DD has already done a year in Primary School. Don't want to sound like a vigilante here but what you are doing is talking up a place in 2 schools which is disallowed.

Yes I have told them

• Advertisement

Also, not taking up a place in two schools, she will be attending one school. The school has no issue that she has a year done already. I would be enrolling her in senior infants if that was the case. FYI I was advised by her previous Junior infant teacher that due to her being so young I would be extremely beneficial to her to repeat junior infants, so I am actually going on the advice of her previous school. No need to jump to conclusions that i am going against the rules. Thanks for your input

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I teach in a Gaelscoil. The children benefit from being bilingual at an early age. In the infant classes, the child may sometimes be a little behind in English, but studies show they will catch up and frequently overtake their peers in English speaking schools. Many of the literacy skills apply to both languages and there is a transfer of skills between them. There won't be an issue with other subjects, because the children are being taught the vocabulary to access all of them.

It's not true to say that children with additional needs aren't supported. All schools get the same number of support teachers as English speaking schools. I've seen that certain psychologists recommend English medium schools for Gaelscoil children as a matter of course, no matter the ability of the child. This is very unfair on the child and indeed their family. The parent/s may feel they have to move the child, no matter how happy and supported the child is.

Advertisement