Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Croke Park on Saturday

Options
  • 05-07-2023 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi

Am driving up on Saturday from Limerick with the aul lad for the semi-final and just looking for some advice on parking options.

Trying to work out the handiest way to do it to try to avoid too much walking as he wouldn't be the best on his feet.

Appreciate if I could get some suggestions on where would be handy to park up where we could hop on a train or bus to the ground

or even short cab ride etc. Trying to research it but I wouldn't know Dublin that well or know what tends to be busiest on match days etc.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dannymole22

I've parked on Iona Road a few times for Croker with no issues. About 15 minutes walk so not sure if that is any good to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

Grace Park Wood has a number of visitor parking in the estate, i'm sure if you get there early youll have no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭guanciale

Drive from Limerick to Maynooth.

Train to Drumcondra or Connolly. Either way you will have to walk a few hundred meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭C4000

Another option is to drive all the way round the M50, come off at Santry, park in the omni shopping centre santry (plenty of free parking, no time limit)... then take the 33 or 41 bus from directly outside the shopping centre, which will take you straight down drumcondra road (10-15 minute bus) leaving you with 5 minute walk to croke park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bop1977

this one. train to drumcondra.

croker is 5 minutes away from here.

you need to pay for parking at maynooth train station as well. they clamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Red Cow Luas, park and ride to Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Eldudeson

I'd second Maynooth and get the train to Drumcondra. It's a great service! On Saturday, most of Maynooth is Pay parking though. The car park there might be full though if you don't get there early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Redkite200

Sounds very handy, thanks to all for the replies, might be useful for others in the same boat also. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

It depends on which stand they have a ticket for. For someone not good at walking I don't think this would be a good option for the Cusack Stand. Its half a mile from the station to the back of the stand.

Two things on the maynooth train

1. Finding parking at maynooth train station is not easy on a match day and the general vicinity is not parking friendly
    2. After the match is not fun, you have to rush for the station asap or the queue is extra mental, the queue is always long and slow with annoying skippers even though there is a barrier along the road. India train style

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Good advice there re the Cusack Stand. Last time I went I messed up by inadvertently getting a Cusack ticket and had to traipse all the way from the Drumcondra station end. If holding a Cusack ticket u need a totally different plan of attack coming in from the Ballybough side. Best advice I read so far was the Omni option. U might even be able to free park in the estate near the bus stop opposite the Omni saving more legwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

Parking on the University campus is not enforced during the summer months - just saying ...............................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Or park in the free car park beside Whitehall Church - there is no requirement to be going to the church or indeed anywhere else. The entrance is actually from Collins Avenue. Lots of bus routes stop here too.

As a local, I would not be so keen on the Omni shopping centre option. If there is a large influx of non-locals who are not going here for shopping, this may be noted by security etc. I would not be surprised if this was already an issue, given proximity to the airport and the well-known issues there. Not sure that they do clamp there, but if the facilities are used as general parking you would expect enforcement measures to be adopted.

Post edited by EchoIndia on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

These are very traditional, well known GAA paths. But Dublin is quite well connected now, there's buses from a lot of suburbs in to the capital. Here's an example:

M50 - Exit Malahide - Park on the Malahide or Howth Road. Get any of the buses to North Strand Road (look up Da Mimmos). Get off when you see the canal and Croke Park, walk up the tow path.

Example, take the Malahide exit from the M50, google map to park here - Car park st. annes park, Then Get the H1 bus to North Strand Road and stroll over to Croke Park. You'll actually see Croke Park out of the bus window on the right hand side. You get the bus home from the opposite side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

It's only a 10min walk from Drumcondra Station to St James's Avenue which is the entry for Cusack stand.

Leave the station, cross over onto Clonliffe Road, walk past Jones' Road and its the 2nd right. After the small Daybreak shop on Clonliffe Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ViperMAN

If your Dad is really not up to walking - just park anywhere and use a taxi to get between Croker and the car.

I once parked 'facing for home' near the quays - strolled up to Croker over the space of a few hours (stopping for food, drinks so it wasn't too long a walk). Then flagged a cab after the game and got it back to the car! Handy out!

Obviously, just be mindful that cabs could be hard to get so be ready for that. Either leave the game ASAP, use FreeNow app to book... or flag down a fellow Limerick supporter to give ye a lift. I am sure there'll be loads parked near the stadium and so you'll see them jumping into their car after the game. Just make sure your car is parked on their route home and it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjohn3423

The OP said the person isn't great on the feet and it seems like they don't know the lay of the land. Given that I don't think its good advice to say to get the train into Drumcondra station. Its a full km from the station to your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭dobman88

There'll be a walk involved no matter what though. And a 10min walk, 15min if you really want to take your time is about as good as its going to get.

I was more replying that there is no need to come from Ballybough side. Its just as handy for the Cusack from Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It’s possible to park in Croke Park , but the ticket sales start on the Monday of the week of the game . There might be a fee involved. . I’ll be ringing on Monday morning for one, as I’m can’t walk far . But it may only be for people who use canes / wheelchairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Is o'connell school parking book in advance or first come first serve that is as close as you can get .There is space for a couple of hundred cars as far as I can remember .

• Advertisement

Can i hop on to this thread . I was hoping to get parking in CP but didn’t get a spot . Driving from Monaghan (M1) what’s the closest i can park . I Have a disabled parking badge if that helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

there is parking in and around the housing states in drumcondra

out as far as the dcu all hallows campus .

Its a hit&miss/ lucky dip scenario, but i always get a spot out that way.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Looking at it on the map, it’s the right end too for the Davin stand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Would need someone to confirm it's still being used and ĥow many spots and time it fills up by I haven't parked there for a few years and then it was for a league game .

Advertisement