Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doorbell issue

Options
  • 03-07-2023 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Probably rambling on more than i need to in the post but only way i can explain it.

Electrical work is not my thing at all so any suggestions will have to be in layman’s terms including the use of a multimeter.

I put a new push button on a while back and it was working fine and not sure when it stopped.

At the push button, i do not get a voltage reading when touching the probes off the screws.

When i check it for continuity, i place the probes on the screws and i hear a noise when i press the button.

So push button is fine and wiring too?

So the cable with two two wires connected at the chime box go out to the hallway and it goes into one of those connector blocks which is accesible and all i know then is that there are two wires at the push button and whatever else goes on and into into the transformer.

Where the chime is, i placed the probes on the screws where the wires are connected and get no voltage reading.

I did the same on the other side and get no voltage reading.

I put batteries into the unit and again placed the probes where the wires are and got no voltage reading.

On the other side, i do get a 6v reading.

Could i switch off all the power and put those two wires on that side instead to get it working?

Or would i have to get a new 2 core cable and go direct from where the wires are now directly to the push button?

Or connect a new cable to the other side of the unit where i got the 6v reading and go direct to the push button?

In the hall where the transformer is, i took off the transformer cover and checked for voltage and got nothing. I placed the probes on the screws where the grey wires are, on top of the other screws and then the phone rang giving me a minor heart attack.

The transformer will need to be upgraded down the line if i go with a video doorbell which i would want hardwired. I be getting work done at some stage on the front of the house and would rather wait till then before wiring up one of those as the work might affect the placement but will obviously have to get a new transformer now if that is what's knackered unless i get the battery operated chime option working.

Yeah i could just go wireless and avoid all the hassle but i’d like to fix it as it is because it's doing my head in. Will just get an electrician if needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

At the push button, i do not get a voltage reading when touching the probes off the screws.

When i check it for continuity, i place the probes on the screws and i hear a noise when i press the button.

you should have voltage there without push. Continuity with button pressed only prove the button is OK, that leaves transformer at fault , i guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Ok so, that's what i will have to get done at some stage anyway.

Will see if anyone has any idea on the battery operated option of the chime and how to get that working.

Advertisement