Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip to Manchester and Old Trafford

Options
  • 03-07-2023 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All, I hope you can you help and suggest a few tips / suggestions...

I am looking to taking my son (10) to a Manchester United match in December. His (and mine) first (and probably only) time.

I'm looking mainly through the Travel Agents as not confident of getting tickets myself! Firstly any thoughts on going through Travel agents? [They generally seem to be similar in price....]

Any Hotel recommendations? Should I look at City Centre or make sure closer to Old Trafford? i.e. is Old Trafford 'easy' enough to get to by bus/train from city out or is the city centre even worth a walk around...

Is there any tips anyone would suggest to make this a memorable trip?

I'm hoping for it to be a surprise and imagine it will be our only time going so would love to make it as special as can... I know he would love to meet a player - I assume thats never going to happen! Any thoughts on what chance to have a players to sign a program after the match - and if so how / where would be best to go? Car park (any clue as to where the Players car park is?) How long to wait.. etc.?

Perhaps some people here have been to Old Trafford before and know lots more of it than I do so appreciate any tips and suggestions. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Jurys Bridgewater is right beside the tram that goes to the Old Trafford cricket ground, short walk from there to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

About 10/12 years ago, I bought package of 2 nights with Celtic Horizon for my husband's birthday. V well organised, driven from ferry to nice hotel in Manchester which wasn't too far outside city. Got train into town that evening, had nice walk around, meal in Chinese quarter and few drinks in a bar later. Train back to hotel. Next day, coach collected us to bring to ground, gave us our tickets, (season tickets and you got I think 20% off merchandise when you showed the ticket)

All sitting together with the driver and bus back to hotel after match. (Some people made their own way back to town, short bus ride) Overall, we thought it well organised from start to finish, ferry was enjoyable too as hadn't been on one for quite a long time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

You can get a tram from the city centre to within 5 mins walk of the stadium. If you have time you can do a tour of the stadium which is worth it but I don't think it's available on match days. I did it years ago on the day before a match and at the end of the tour I was able to buy tickets. It might be easier to get tickets for when they're playing a much lower ranking team and if you're going between Christmas and the New Year I reckon it would be more difficult to get tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭fdevine

Have a look at sportsbreaks.com - They're an official partner & advertise on the MU website

Used them for a 2 night trip over the May bank holiday & couldn't fault them. Based in Manchester & have real people manning phones should you need to contact them

There are Dublin based options as well but don't have any experience of them

As this is potentially a one-off special trip may be consider Hotel Football which is right next to OT. Tram from airport leaves you a 15 minute easy walk from OT with media city within walking distance of there so no need to go into the city centre unless you want to

There's a 5-a-side pitch on the roof with views over the OT concourse

Certainly not the cheapest option but significantly cheaper through an agent & guaranteed match tickets

Also includes an MU membership via code to redeem after your trip

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gdforan

A few options.

Match tickets are often available on Done Deal, you could then book flights and hotel yourself.

You could join your nearest Man Utd supporters club as trips are regular and supporters club staff will assist you as best they can.

As Utd are in Champions League next season always a good chance of buying tickets direct on club website as in group stage tickets often on sale to general public. Matches are midweek and may need to register on Utd website to buy tickets.

Im sure a tour of MUFC museum would go down well with your son...booking on MUFC website.

• Advertisement
Advertisement