Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkleigh, Seven Mills, Dublin 22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Afurosan

Hi, I registered interest with Hooke & MacDonald and they said the first release of homes expected this Summer/early Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandy27

Hi,

Did the selling agent tell anything about the prices? Can we expect the 4 bedroom under 500K?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lulu98

Hi,

Don't know if you ever got an answer to your question but I got an email today that the 3 bed houses are from €425,000 and the 4 bed houses are from €485,000

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Lucyloo123

Hi everyone, do you think there will be queues to view these houses? Don't have much experience with open viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Afurosan

I would err on the side of caution and presume there will be queues. I went to a viewing earlier this year that was booked out within 30 mins of the viewing starting.

• Advertisement

Okay great thanks for that, i'll arrive a bit earlier so. Once I don't have to camp out in my car the night before!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pg7

Hi

How's the area ? Have heard about some rough areas or not so safe areas in clondalkin.Would it be a good idea to buy a house in Parkleigh? Are there good schools and public transport nearby? Any advice or suggestions highly appreciated.

It's very close to Neilstown and the grand canal can be quite rough so I suppose the lower price is reflective of this. Not too sure about schools.. might be worth checking out on Google maps

Another thought from researching, is it possible this estate is on a flood plain as its in close proximity to the canal? Might be an issue for house insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Canals don’t usually go through flood plains, and the only way that the canal can flood anywhere is if there’s a breach in its banks. And the fact that it’s gone through here for 200 years without flooding the place out is enough for me to conclude that it’s not gonna breach its banks anytime soon. There were breaches in the Grand Canal years ago, but that was way out in the sticks where it runs through an actual bog and the banks were originally made from a peat mix, which gave way.

Anyway, canals are designed in such a way that if the water level rises too high in one section, the water just flows over the top of the lock gates and down into the next section, and so on and so on.

So no fear of flooding methinks, (not from the canal anyway)

Hi,

So should it be a great concern it terms of buying a house there ?

It's up to yourself and what you deem too close to rough areas.. maybe go for a drive to see the area in general and google neilstown crime rates etc every part of Dublin is going to have a certain level of anti social behaviour

Yes.Thanks much .

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dkRulez

I am expecting complete chaos on Saturday wherein I am sure more than 400-500 or maybe 1K people would turn up to book these places. How are they going to take bookings? what if someone misses out on a house just by 1 place or is 5 mins late?. There has to be some thought on taking the reservations and bookings so far it seems there is no clarity at all.

The price are attractive and eligible for HTB and FHS, expect huge no's of people interested on this. As for Nielstown, don't think that area would ever change or improve. You just need to wish that you don't dwell on that side.

I completely agree, Cairns other developments e.g. Graydon in Newcastle had appointments to view I don't know what made them believe an open viewing from 12pm was a good idea! However the development may only become attractive to first time buyers once the schools are built in future phases because as it is now there is very little available for families with small children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I think it'll be a nice area with dodgy areas nearby such as Neilstown, Bawnogue etc.

These estates at the edge of the city can be very deprived. Locals will tell you they've calmed down a lot in past 10/20 years. Despite the bad perception, these deprived estates are improving all the time.

It'll be a building site for 10 years at least also. Probably no amenities for a few years.

10,000 homes are planned for Clonburiss and these are the first.

It's a good example of "Transport Oriented Development" which is de jour as it's bookended by Dart stations. Also Grand Canal cycleway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 topal

Can anyone tell me why such a large site avoided development up until now?

Seems like a no brainer with the canal and rail so close?

I’m assuming because the land is in between neilstown and bawnouge…

• Registered Users Posts: 35 topal

• Advertisement

True! It was mentioned to me this morning that it’s on a flood plain but somebody said earlier in the thread it’s not so I honestly don’t know

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

It looks like a lot of apartments are planned for the area. These will be sold to Housing Associations for social housing like what is happening in other new estates like Parkside in Balgriffin. Here they are selling an entire phase to social housing, some 400 apartments. So be careful.

The area is already hemmed in by not so desirable areas. Just google Neilstown, Ronanstown, Balgaddy, kilmahuddrick etc etc etc. I personally wouldn't go near this area.

There's also a couple of traveller accommodations in the general area. You can clearly see them on google maps.

I used to live in Adamstown, the part nearer to Lucan. I think it's a better area than here.

I took a spin out this evening and there is a huge block of apartments at the very front overshadowing the whole estate….. definitely reconsidering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yeah, I'm definitely going to steer clear of this. Too many red flags.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This is the start of a huge wave of development in the area. Honestly, I think that they want a huge crowd of people to turn up and queue, and for the place to sell out quickly and generate a lot of attention. In the next phase prices will go up at least 10% if not 20% so they create a sense of desperation and panic, and before you know it people will be paying €500,000 for a small 3-bed terrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Honey50000

People must be high earners to have mortgages that high what are the repayments on a mortgage of that size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This is the problem with many new estates. Its basically given over to social housing so you are buying into a modern day Ballymun.

I would avoid new builds for this reason, far too much social housing being bought up in them because the govt cant be arsed to build their own.

Why pay half a million quid for a home that the social welfare brigade get for free? And with it comes all the anti social behaviour.

Calling it a new housing estate is true, but its lipstick on the pig. Its a new social housing estate with some units for private purchase.

Much better to buy an older property in a settled estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Honey50000

I couldent breathe with a mortgage that big with all the violence in Dubin in the last while not sure why people want to live there to be honest.

• Advertisement

Which County do you live in, if I may ask?

The problems you hear about in Dublin are confined to certain areas, generally.

There are plenty of areas in Dublin with no such issues. But you dont hear about those areas on the news.

I would say there is no better place to live in the country than South Dublin Bay. You have everything the country has to offer and you have it in spades. None of the antisocial problems you see in poorer parts of the city.

The downside, of course, is the price to live there. Its the most expensive part of the country for good reason. But hey, you get what you pay for.

Advertisement