Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of RTE after Tubsgate.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The main actors are all on a 31 week contract... they are now staff. The only saving got is for contract writers, actors and some crew. What do the full time staff do when Carrigstown is a desert, you'd assume that with filming Fair City 4 eps a week that some of the writters might continue to write through the summer months, but then their are the other cuts that RTÉ are making:-

• RTÉ’s in-house Sunday evening summer factual programming will not be produced in 2024 

I assume this is The Summer Show ... would Fair City staff not move to this show?

• RTÉ will not produce an in-house Saturday evening entertainment show in the Spring of 2024

I don't really know what show they are talking about (Ask Me Anything), but again would staff who would normally work on Fair City not move over to this show for the 2 months fair city ioff the air

Not withstanding holiday (but both shows don't go out for a full 2 months one could be pre-recorded).

• Production of a third season of The Money List will be deferred until 2025 (a second season, produced in 2023 will air in 2024)  

Again an in-house production, why defer production if you have staff on hand due to the reduce number of Fair City episodes.

Is everyone on the Fair City set a contractor?

Or is it simple the Summer months that are the issue?

It would make far more sense to film Fair City from February to November, and not be around during the Winter months.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

It's repeated on the RTE News channel until the next bulletin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I dont currently have access to RTE on the TV, but I'll bear that in mind for when I do.

and the following bulletin! Nine repeated on most nights until the start of EuroNews on the news Channel, except on the days when Prime Time is on, its not repeat until after prime time on the News channel.

And they aren't changing anything on the News channel you can be gaurenteed.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

RTE defer The Young Offenders fourth season until 2025 as part of huge cutbacks

Does this, combined with the news about fair city suggest that neither of the productions turns a profit?

Post edited by Red Silurian on

Possibly the most popular programme on RTE, if it's not turning a profit its because of MOD EDIT: we might not bandy accusations of this nature out so lightly.

Post edited by icdg on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The words used implied much more than that, and there should be no further posts on this topic. 48 hour ban for anyone replying to this post or the three above it.

• Advertisement

That's fair

I suppose the argument I made was RTE are cutting production because it costs them money. But you need to spend money to make money. So this suggests that YO and FC are loss-making ventures

The young offenders is partly funded by the BBC. I wonder how they feel about delaying production.

I'd imagine they are on board or else RTE wouldn't have gone ahead with it

If it's a 50/50 deal with BBC and RTE say they can't afford it this year, there's not a lot the BBC can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Unless I misread, BBC are going ahead with production, but RTE are delaying showing it. Just making themselves even less relevant really as the audience for that show will just watch it on another channel.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

So you're saying that RTE will still pay to produce it but then it will be shown on BBC before it's shown on RTE?

Surely not!

Thats just stupid. I would say most homes in Ireland have access to BBC.

Wifey: So what are we going to watch tonight?

Hubby: On RTE 1 there is a rerun of Killinaskully.

Wifey: Next!

Hubby: But on BBC One there is the new season of Young Offenders.

Wifey: Oh yes please!

By the time RTE get around to showing it, most people will have already watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes that's true but as Virgin Media has shown there are plenty here who will watch something that's been seen before on another channel. In the case of Saturday Night Takeaway many people watched an old repeat on Virgin Media while UTV Ireland had a brand new episode on.

Yes as outlined in RTÉ press release.

Drama is expensive to produce there is no question on this. Fair City had been largely cost neutral ... so we are lead to believe.. however I estimate its cost at €15m a year according to RTÉ's annual report and RTÉ's "IPU/commissioning" annual report.

Why? I expect to see Young Offenders on the BBC in 2024.

It is very unlikely that this is a 50/50 co-production. RTÉ at the very most only provide 2% of their total budget towards independent TV drama.

1. Fair City €15m (RTÉ In House TV Drama)
    2. Radio Drama €500k
    3. IPU/Commissioned Drama €2.5m
    4. Acquired Irish programming/content (though this also includes non-dramas) €4.5m

Total for independent TV drama ~€7m at most.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The only survival advice I can give RTE is to remain impartial to all political groups in this country.

The new Polish government has liquidated the state broadcaster TVP. And in the UK the Tories are itching to do a number on the BBC and Channel 4.

There is obviously no love lost between Sinn Fein and RTE but RTE had better get with the programme when the Shinners get in.

I would say that the days of inviting a Sinn Fein spokesperson on a current affairs programme and constantly talking over them in a rude manner are probably over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The situation in Poland appears to have less to do with a desire to “do a number” on public media and everything to do with a dispute between the Polish government and the President who belongs to the party that was in power up until recently (they have a French style constitution which gives the president stronger powers than normal in a parliamentary system).. I don’t think it’s any indication of what the future lies for a public media there. They are trying to repair years of damage under the previous administration and that is being resisted.

As for the UK, I think the winds have changed re Channel 4 and Labour will be in power before anything permanent is done to the BBC.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭saabsaab

All terrestrial TV is in trouble. Younger crowd not using it anymore. On top of that RTE is looking for the licence fee and reducing its content/service!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is there any indication of what imported programmes (other than Neighbours and Home & Away) that RTÉ will show in the first half of 2024?

RTÉ most likely have bought most of their shows at this point, I was surprised that it is part of their new direction to reduce bought in shows.

Fremantle (The soaps from Down Under) and BBC Studio (BBC Soaps) are possibly very important to RTÉ, so they will be kept. Though Doctors has finished on the BBC so it will be due to finish shortly on RTÉ. I suspect that any costs savings from imports will actually be on non-drama bought in Irish programming. But it hard to say.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

In the break of RTE News at 6 - "Inside Penney's", a look behind the scenes at Penney's. Maybe there is an audience for this tripe?

Next up, "Inside Penney's Pt.2 - Inside Dunne's"

It's easy to resent paying a licence fee ( I currently do) when brain deadening stuff like this gets turned out.

(Yes, my opinion, perhaps loads of people looking forward to what 'Mary in stocktaking " did when they ran out of XL t-shirts. Or will it be more "Johnny in customer service " secretly fancies Maura (or Mick) in accounts.

Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Plus ça change

RTE is in one sense run like a D4 co-ed secondary school with NKM in key board of management positions:

When rte gets rapped on the knuckles by the government the grovelling apologies will be issued but when the school inspector is gone and forgotten about, it back to the old shenanigans again.

2.7M lost over Toyshow the musical and it didn't get approval from the RTE board! Who was running the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We will never be told who booked the venue or gave the go ahead to start spending.

It's like the bloody Mafia at rte.

Names redacted in the report.. Why? What action has been taken against those who went ahead with this without authorization? Who would have benefited if it had been a success?

• Advertisement
Advertisement