Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House more than 50m from road for esb connection

Options
  • 02-07-2023 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm building a new house and we're getting ready for an esb connection.

However our house is around 70m from the road in straight line.

The requirements state that if distance greater than 50m from pole a 125mm duct have to be used and service vault installed at the connection to hockey stick.

I've looked online and the vaults that I found are these concrete boxes used for estate junction boxes and are like 700 quid plus lid. And duct is €10 a meter.

Is there any solution for this or am I looking at wrong valt thingy?

Can the vault be placed 20-30m in and then use 50mm duct for remaining distance?

Did anyone had similar issue before?

I've seen planty of houses with big front yards so it can't be that uncommon.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Where did you get the requirements from ? Did they send you a specification ?

They'll be pulling a bigger cable over longer distance and the vault means they avoid the right angle on the draw

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭JL spark

What ever you do , do it right , on your connection day , if they turn up to connect your house and it’s not how they want it , that’s when it gets expensive,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

You'd have a bit of voltage drop on 70m , not sure i'd be too keen on a new connection

It's preferable to have the pole closer to meter cabinet and step down from an MV supply

I wonder is this a 12kva supply, hopefully not coming off 230v on the road anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rivervarrig

Hey there,

I find myself in a very similar situation to yourself. I've the 125mm duct laid for approx 70 metres, I'm just wondering what you ended up doing for the service vault area where the duct meets the hockey stick? I've seen precast boxes for €700 I'm just wondering if a few standard blocks would do the same job.

Regards,

Mike

Advertisement