Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in renewing an expired passport?

Options
  • 30-06-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

I don't plan on travelling outside the EU in the next couple years at least.

Is there any point in renewing an expired passport?

I'm sure there's some good rationale in doing so, but I'd like to hear it before dropping 75 large (it's large to me) on renewal.

Thoughts?

P.S. perhaps it's just one of the documents that is always of benefit to have in date?

For verification I normally use my drivers licence.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If you are Irish? AFAIK the only country you can travel to without a passport is the UK.

We aren't in Schengen and a Passport and API data is needed for intra EU travel.

If you aren't Irish? And are an EU Schengen citizen? Then your national ID is acceptable as a travel doc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You should check but I don't think Ryanair allow you to fly anywhere without a passport as ID regardless of where you are going. So if you intend to take any Ryanair flights, even within the EU, you may need a valid passport.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Renew it even if you're not using it. You don't know what unforseen events may happen that may require you to travel at short notice. Trying to sort out a passport at short notice can be very stressful for people. Always handy to have another current form of ID as well. If you let your passport lapse for a few years you will be treated like you're applying for the first time as well and you'd need to submit all first time documents with your passport application. It's just easier and less hassle for you to renew it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Even if I don’t plan on using mine, I treat it as it’s €7.50 a year for the peace of mind that if I do need it, it’s readily available and I’ll be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Other thing is, I'm a dual UK citizen so have an active UK passport.

Could use that for short notice travel.

But then of course as one contributor mentioned, the Irish passport is 2 years out of date as is.

Another three and I'll have to re-apply from scratch.

Whilst I have a UK passport (and am Irish), I'm a long term Irish resident;

Would that effect my travel status with a UK passport?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Travel on a UK passport within the EU means using the non-EU passport queue at every EU destination. Is the cost of an Irish passport worth the hassle you will save in avoiding that?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Also, British citizens will be subject to the European Travel Information and Authorisation System to travel to most EU countries from about 2024 onwards. Think of it as the European version of ESTA if you're familiar with travel to the US. I don't think it will apply to British citizens travelling to Ireland because of the Common Travel area but it probably would if you were travelling from Ireland to Spain, France, Germany etc on a British passport. There will probably be a processing fee as well for applying to the European Travel Information and Authorisation System. None of this will apply to Irish citizens using their Irish passports to enter other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

an active UK passport.

Could use that for short notice travel.

I'm a long term Irish resident;

Would that effect my travel status with a UK passport?

Not necessarily, and no. If you're travelling on a UK passport, you're limited to a total of 90 days in the whole of the Schengen Area in every rolling 180-day period and you can be refused entry if you can't demonstrate that you've made plans to leave - so you may not be allowed in on a one-way ticket, especially if you've already clocked up several weeks in the previous 180 days and/or you have less than three full months left on your UK passport, and more if that passport was (re)issued before the formal renewal date.

Your status as a long-term resident in Ireland is something you'll have to prove on the spot, so remember to bring all your "settled status" documentation with you, every time. Or renew your Irish passport and travel in any time and any way you like.

First-hand experience : I had someone lined up to visit and house-sit in France in June, dual UK/Irish citizenship. When she went to book flights, she realised her UK passport wouldn't have the full three month's left, so she couldn't use it. She'd let her Irish passport expire years ago, but thought she could get it renewed quickly. Nope, still waiting several months later ... But she won't now renew her UK passport because of the limitations that come with it and it costs so much more than an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Glittering_Fault_720

Nope. All they will check is if the passport holder is wanted in the EU.

Advertisement