Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5G Broadband experience

Options
  • 30-06-2023 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭

We have 100/15 broadband via cable currently.

Have just found out that 5g home broadband is now available in our area at a similar price offering minimum 300/30 and apparently with excellent ping.

I've struggled to find any end user experience though before committing.

The provided router will be a Huawei H155-381 5G CPE 5 5G/4G-modem, if that impacts things.

We have a WiFi mesh setup with Fritzbox repeaters which I'd like to retain for WiFi signal.

Any thoughts or experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭galway1973

In the same dilemma too. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Three broadband? Is the external antenna passive or powered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Who is the provider? Must be very "brave" - even fixed line , fibre providers state " up to", not "minimum". Somehow it sound like door- to- door salesman brag. Years back imagine had attempt at my door...

Due to its nature, its hard to ensure any mobile bb metrics , to many variables that cannot be controled even by provider. This is not to say its not possible, just per case situation. I would recommend to do extensive testing before commiting to a long term contract.

H155-381 does not have external antenna ports. Other than that device seem good spec, but i'm not familiar with it

Wifi distribution could be done with your fritz, but this would be your secondary concern...

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

This is the provider; https://www.regionalbroadband.ie/

I am in Dublin 12 though, not really regional!

He said speeds would probably be circa 700 but that 200 was minimum

Your man at the door is full of sh* t

READ and make sure you understand their T&C, especialy FUP and Speed documents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Care to elaborate?

Thinking of trialling it under the 14 day cooling off period

14d cooloff , i think, does not apply at door purchase.

Doublecheck independantly, regardless what salesman say .

I don't know where the door salesman impression came from, I just saw this online after seeing what else was available on our area.

You didnt deny it when mentioned.

Their T&C mention 14d cool off on online sign up. As well as speeds, that is completelly different what you describe.

Update how it goes if you taking it for trial. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭corglass

Just got Three 5g broadband installed, 80MBS minimum download speed, max of 220MBS.

Did a DIY install rather than waiting for the three professional installation.

The hardware three provide is exceptionally good quality (mc7010 t3000 ).

Highly recommend it over 4g which was exactly 1/10th those numbers

Good result.

Still, all depend per user location vs mast + ton other factors. Online purchase recommended to avail for 14d cool off.

4G below now, ~ 200 off peak. 5G just about the same for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gastric Apple

I'm in a similar situation. My contract is up with Virgin (500mb) next month and their offer to extend is a bit crap. Alternative with Eir ('up to' 90mb) is worse, even if it's cheaper. To make it more annoying, the fibre line literally goes to my next door neighbour.

So now I'm looking at Three 5G. I'm getting speeds of around 300mb on my phone, so contemplating testing it for the 14 days. Afraid it'll fluctuate too much though, especially for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

Any further comments or experience since this thread was last active? I'm thinking of ditching Virgin Media in Dublin city centre for Eir 5G broadband. It'll be much slower, I presume, but I just need it for streaming & browsing on 1 device.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pureza

I've three 5g home broadband in the sticks of South Wicklow

Here's a phone test a few mins ago on WiFi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pureza

About 6kms from the one the little aerial box is pointed to,but it may be picking up others also,does it combine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭POBox19

Using 4G GoMo SIM and TP Link Archer MR600 router this is what I get in Dublin:

Which is quite sufficient for our usage.

Advertisement