Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim adapters or methods of using btw devices

Options
  • 30-06-2023 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭

I have an old dumb phone with an old style sim.Can I continue to use this phone with the same sim if I want to also have a smartphone with the same number?

And do I have to go to a Vodafone shop to set this up or can I go to my local phone shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭wandererz

What are "btw devices"?

You cannot use the same number on both phones at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭amandstu

btw is my (and I thought a common)abbreviation for "between".

I was hoping to be able to alternate the sim between the two phones.

I mean to physically remove it from one and put it into the other.

Would that be possible when the two phones call for different sized sim cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭blackbox

I was also wondering what a btw device was!

When you buy a SIM it comes in the larger size surround for older phones. You remove the SIM from this for newer phones. You might be able to use the surround as an adapter if the contacts work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

BTW = By the way...I was wondering what btw devices was myself 😅

If its a old style sim you could perhaps best get onto vodafone or go instore and port to a new sim card, The new sims i believe have the 3 adapters set for any phone. But you will need to have the adapter with ya all the time for the old phone.

That was stpd on my part.I did know that btw meant "by the way "but imagined it also meant "between".

Moving on ,thanks for the replies.

It seems like I have to head into town to a Vodafone shop in order to order a sim for the new smartphone and it can't be done online due to "temporary technical difficulties" as per the Vodafone App.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Check that the new SIM works in the old phone (ie connects to network) before transferring your number to new SIM.

The other option is to cut the mini SIM but only if it's for micro SIM (not nano, too difficult to be accurate). A size adapter will be needed to use in old phone but they're easy to get.

Is there any point in looking into the eSIMs? I went back to the Vodafone App and ordered an eSIM which led to me getting a text on my dumb phone plus instructions as to how to proceed.

But when I went to the Vodafone website as the text told me to , it did not have my 2017 Samsung Xcover4 phone listed in the eSIM section.

Do those eSIMs just work on the newer phones or phones that Vodafone are dealing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭28064212

eSIMs have to be supported by the phone. They're essentially just a rewritable SIM card embedded in the phone. The Xcover4 does not have one, an eSIM is useless to you.

There's no issue with swapping SIMs between phones, so long as neither of them are locked out of that provider's network. However, SIMs come in different sizes. From largest to smallest: standard, micro and nano. The Xcover4 takes a micro SIM, so if you currently have a standard size SIM, it will not fit. You need to port your number to a micro SIM (Vodafone should be able to do this, although I don't know if they'll do it online or if you need to go to a store). As well as a micro SIM, you will need a SIM adapter, which will fit around the micro SIM to resize it to standard, which you will need to use anytime you want to put it into your old phone

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement