Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd child on the way - time to upgrade to 7 seater

Options
  • 29-06-2023 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade to a larger car, ideally a 7 seater.

7 seater to have the larger boot as ideally the 3 kids would remain in the 2nd row

I was looking at the Tiguan Allspace but I don't think I would get 3 safety seats in the back.

The Kodiaq has the same problem

5008 looks like the natural choice as can fit three seats in the back.

Any other suggestions / considerations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,762 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ford S-Max. Much nicer to drive than them SUVs and more practical too as well as more stylish and classy.

Renault Grand Scenic. Again the same as the Ford more stylish than an SUV, better to drive than an SUV and more classy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

We went the Citroen c5 aircross route. Our kids are older though at 8,7,5. A bit tight for seats but we manage fine, picked up a narrow high back booster for the middle and we’re happy out. Granted we don’t have the baby bits and pieces to deal with anymore so the boot might be too small.

We had a scenic for 5 years before that which managed everything perfectly. Didn’t want a big bus. To be fair the scenic didn’t give a days bother in time of ownership and we put 110k km on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You don't actually need a 7 seater. A decent hatchback or estate has as much space as you'll need. Ford Mondeo got us through the buggy and car seat stage of our 3 kids (2 years apart)

I never liked 7 seaters just from a drivers perspective. Too wallowey

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brogiebears

Dacia `Jogger is an option with a chicco fold and go high back booster in the middle - its a nice narrow base

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Mercedes GLB/EQB.

Best value 7 seater around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I mentioned that car in another thread on here and someone said you will not fit three child car seats in a row in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Just get a transit... missus and baby seat in the front... other 2 floating in the back somewhere... bonus point for loose tools or building equipment they have to contend with each corner

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brogiebears

These 3 car seats work across the middle.

Britax Adventure Group

Chicco Fold and Go

Joie Spin 360

Maxi cosy as a baby seat works too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,568 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Problem with the Jogger, with car seats in the middle row, there is no real access to the third row of seats, unless ye enter/exit via the boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

Dacia Jogger is also a 1-Star Euro NCAP rated car. Now admittedly it's way safer than an old car - but things have moved on.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/dacia/jogger/45231

It's still way safer than an older car as they changed the rating system. It is all about the electronic safety toys now which more expensive cars would have. Look it up I'm not joking. In the past it was all about side impact safety regarding how the occupants would do when in a wreck now as I said it about blind spot awareness of the car and auto braking etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭standardg60

I wouldn't be seen dead in a Dacia, if they decide to make hearses i will put that in my will

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

the safest car is the one that doesn't get into the crash in the first place

But the Dacia getting 1 star indicates that they do neither crash avoidance, nor passenger protection very well

It does passenger protection very well. Better than older cars on the old system and same as current cars now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭kirving

It may be better than old cars, sure, but the Dacia scores 70% for Adult Occupant, and 69% for child occupants.

A VW Polo in comparison, scores 94% and 80%. This is a comparison hitting a static barrier, and it doesn't necessarily translate to the Polo being safer in a car on car collision it must be said.

It is also true that Euro NCAP applies heavy weighting to ADAS, but it's far better to avoid a collision than be saved by the crash structure.

Just something to consider when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Thanks for the above

Any thoughts on the Hyundai Santa Fe - the internal styling is much nicer than then 5008 but it will really come down to the space in the back seat.

Looks at the 5008 over the weekend - its the leading contender so far but will be checking out the options from Ford / Hyundai also

• Registered Users Posts: 15,762 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭RINO87

Any thoughts on a Skoda Yeti folks? Could you fit two infant seats and a booster across the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭richardbradley

Have a 5008 for last few years and delighted with it - so far maintenance low, cost effective and reliable.

Also, (and clearly it depends on lifestyle and future lifestyle) the 7 seats is incredibly more useful than you would think. Everybody is different but we use our extra seats regularly enough for:

• Sports Training - by lift sharing and filling the bus with local kids I have to do half the journeys as other parents will do the same. This is true for lift sharing of kids for all kinds of activities. I also coach so if any kid is stuck for a lift I will collect them on way rather than have them miss training.
    • Can I bring a friend? - even if we just off somewhere local for a walk one of the 3 kids will often ask to bring a friend or neighbour - sure pull the seat down and hop in!
    • Days out when grandparents/friends visit - we have grandparents that live abroad so when they stay with us it makes it very convenient for all 7 to head out in 1 car
    • Doing my bit as designated driver - we live fairly rural - there are some nights out that someone needs to drive - if its my turn i can fill the car and don't need to do it as often if we have 3 couples.
    • Our Kids parties - admittedly only 3 x a year but being able to bus a significant number of kids to wherever we go also helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

If one of the kids is 5+ you can you get a booster seat in the 3rd row easy of most 7 seater SUVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If you're not going new, woudl you consider a Touran? Can get 3 seats on 2nd row.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,132 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What age are the kids? Some of the Volvos have built in booster seats, either 1 or 2 depending on the model. They just pop up from the back seat. XC60 has 2 in the old and new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimbobmalones

As always it comes down to money. If you are loaded you can buy whatever you want no issues.

Many of the recommendations made by posters are not related to budget.

If you are on a budget then things change...

Jogger is circa 28k brand new

Next up is Kodiaq, 5008, Tarraco at around 48k - 50k for the lowest spec models

Sorento and Santa Fe are 55k+ but more realistically 60k

Then you have the luxury brands

Volvo, BMW etc 70,80,90,100k etc

You can also look second hand but there is little value to be had imho. That's where jogger comes in

as it is essentially a brand new car for the same price as a 3 - 4 year old kodiaq etc...

Hope you get a good car that suits your needs and budget

J

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Bubonic

I have a Seat Alhambra for the last few years and its excellent, same as a Sharan basically but cheaper.

Its fits the three seats and even has up to two integrated. Also has sliding doors which is very handy when getting kids

in and out.

The stopped making them in 2021 but there are still plenty around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭ofcork

First time i heard mercedes and value together must be north of 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

The Touran is an unsung hero, 3 independent seats in the rear so more space than the Kodiaq / Tarraco / Tiguan, and even the third-row has ISOFIX points.

https://www.whatcar.com/volkswagen/touran/mpv/review/n17348

• Registered Users Posts: 1 figtoffee

Note alot of the MPVs are are no longer available as new and are relatively expensive 2nd hand so depends on your budget e.g. Alhambra & Touran. I was between a 2nd hand Skoda Kodiaq and a new Dacia Jogger, ended up with the Jogger as felt it was better value for money given the flux in the car market. The following 3 seats fit in middle row: Maxicosi with belted isofix, Britax Adventure HBB and belted Halfords seat which does both toddler seat and HBB.

You were right I took the same decision in 2021 with a Sandero. I was fed up with NCT's so said I will get a brand new car. It's nice not having to rock up to the NCT test centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Interesting...

I also went with a Jogger to replace my aging verso. The only other options for my budget were

3 - 4 year old tourans, smaxes, grand scenics etc or I could have added 10k for a 3 year old

kodiaq!

Be interesting to see if the new Dacia SUV will be a seven seater (Bigster I think it's called) but

it's not out for another year or so.

V happy with Jogger so far. Was in a VW T-Roc recently and found the interior no better and in many ways

worse than the Jogger and that's not a cheap motor

Advertisement