Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Hat Strikes again

Options
  • 29-06-2023 12:03pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems cancelling Centos did not lead to an embarrassment of new RHEL subscriptions - so on with "Plan B"

I'm genuinely interested to see how this turns out legally... restricting the distribution of GPL code would, on the face of it, seem to be a clear breach of GPL. Let's see what the professionals (lawyers) say!

I switched to Almalinux after the demise of Centos. They're still evaluating the impact.

But have said,

"In the immediate term, our plan is to pull from CentOS Stream updates and Oracle Linux updates to ensure security patches continue to be released. These updates will be carefully curated to ensure they are 1:1 compatible with RHEL, while not violating Red Hat’s licensing, and will be vetted and tested just like all of our other releases."

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Anyone know how you quote in the "new" interface?

Found it!

The lawyers are surely rubbing their hands anyway investigating potential piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭28064212

👆 Like that? Just use the quote button on each post

Or like this?

Put a "> " (without quotes) at the start of the sentence. Or use the ¶ button and select “, then Quote

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Probably the only bunch who will benefit from such an obscure move by RH.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rs232

I’m just starting dabbling.

Is it even worth the time trying to learn my way around RH/Rocky etc?

Use case: cloud-hosted, most-likely-to-remain-obscure/private low-traffic server (probably). Just to mess around, really, to see where this hobby leads to. Also, desktop, although fedora 38 seems pretty good that way now.

or would you suggest I go fallback to something like Debian?

I suppose I’m looking for something I can just get used to, something that is stable and reasonably secure and all things seemed to point to Centos. Until Centos became stream, and then it was rocky alma and now this situation.

I don’t have a lot of time to learn the intricacies of everything on offer, you see which is why I thought I’d go by reputation. I thought RHEL/CentOS was the way until recently anyway.

Thanks for your opinions, lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement