Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Profanity in Mayo

Options
  • 28-06-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m currently living in Mayo and the c-word gets used a lot. And I mean a LOT beyond the amount Karl Urban says it in THE BOYS. - and it isn’t always intended as an insult.

Just a word instead of “dude” or similar or a way to describe the weather. And it is by men over the age of fifty.

Is this just a common word nowadays or is this a Mayo thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

TBH, I'd rear up more if someone said the word "dude" to instead of the word cunt.

Dude is just so American.

Cunt is profane and it's terribly sharp, but it's more familiar I suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Try North Connemara ya'cunchya!

I'm pretty sure I've heard it in mass :-)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone ever see that teen film called 'Cúnt where's my car'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I dont hear dude a lot but it was the only thing I could think of when typing.

Just curious if this is just a Mayo thing but I think it must be be going on decades as it is all ages and especially among old men.

An example - I was in a cafe a for breakfast and a two old fart was welcomed by the waitress asking how he was and he declared the weather to be “c**tish”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Not to be confused with 'dude where's my cnut,'

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Really op, you need to get out more. That's refined conversation round "them thar parts"

If by that you mean you think I’m shocked or offended or something - it is not that.

It is simply a curiosity - everywhere else I’ve been that particular word is kept for the most serious and deserved of situations.

And that is what I’m asking - is it just the norm in Mayo?and always has been?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

It's pretty much the norm. The normal conversations in a schoolyard in any village in the west or midlands would embarrass a fishwife, never mind where the adults gather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’d rather hear that being said than dude.

• Advertisement

• funny to me that in Ireland “dude” is seen as intolerable and absolutely horrendous thing to say whereas in the states calling someone a Cnut is the same.

It is a shame but profanity has lost all its impact. It used to mean something once.

The makers of THE BOYS think the use of c**t is funny or something but it became boring very very quickly. Loki saying quim to Black Widow bears it hands down.

Anyway I guess the question is answered. It isn’t Mayo but a Midwest and west of Ireland thing - although I’ve never witnessed it anywhere like in Mayo.

I must pay more attention and see if it is mainly men or if women are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In australia it's basically a terms of endearment for mates.

That's how it should be. No word should have some magic ability to offend in and of itself. Context is everything

Disagree with this.

The point of such a word is to insult - that is the purpose.

However, that purpose is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Eldudeson

It's used a lot in North Meath too. Laughed out loud at the ya-cuntchya posted before as I've heard that a lot from people I work with!

With the insult of that word being lost, what's the new one to cause outrage?

I don’t think is one.

Can’t imagine there ever being another that would have the impact that c**t used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

In the book 'The Commitments' when Jimmy first goes to recruit Deco in the canteen his opening gambit is 'How's the soup' to which Deco responds 'cúntish'

So 'proper dubs' like Roddy Doyle (and Deco I suppose!) were using it like that in the 80s

The 1991 movie adaptation by Alan Parker plays it a little safer (international market yano) and upgrades the soup to a mere 'poxy'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can disagree if you like, but you are wrong. No word exists soley as to be an insult. It's always contextual. Saying the soup or the weather was cúntish is not an attempt to offend. Saying somebody is a "good cúnt" is a compliment, ot an insult. It was a word for vag for centuries before it became an offensive insult. That offense as worn off over the last of decades, as it's just a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, it's used as a regular word in some rougher parts of the country even in front of kids.

My kids were introduced to it by adults and a Paddy's Day parade in Kilkee, Clare. Unbelievable, half pissed men and women in their mid 40's roaring "c4nt" at each other in the middle of the day as tractors towing floats for kids drive by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

"You B0llocks Yuh" would also be a term of endearment in Mayo. Used to greet a fond acquaintance or colleague

Look who is after coming in now....Howya John you b0llocks yuh"

• Advertisement

The word cunt used to be used in respectable society. It wasn't viewed as a "bad" word up until a couple of hundred years ago. In fact, There used to be a street in London called Gropecunt Lane. I'm sure you can guess what trade went on there. There were other Gropecunt Lanes elsewhere too.

But in England, especially in the London area and the south, the term cunt is used with great regularity. Someone can either be a "good cunt" or a "bad cunt". Which is why the character played by Karl Urban is always saying it. I know a lad from London living here and he uses to word in every second sentence. But not in an aggressive fashion.

In America, you'll find more people who'll be abhorred by the word. But, frankly, Americans have a very strange relationship with the English language. They have a very strange relationship with a lot of things.

As to whether it's men or women who would use the word cunt with more regularity, well then I can tell you in my experience it's mainly men. And some women will take you to task for saying it. Even if they're more than comfortable themselves with using their own profanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Shakespeare used it all the way back in Hamlet. Act 3, Scene 2, between Hamlet and Ophelia he says:

Hamlet: Do you think I meant country matters?

There would have been every expectation that audiences in the time would have known exactly what he was implying.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

More evidence of us being right and then being wrong, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭waywill1966

When the Americans say fanny it sounds so funny in comparison to our use of the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OP, don't ever go to Australia is all the advice I'll give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, it's the go to expletive for rednecks in Australia too. Cant's.

You can say I’m wrong all you like but I’m right and you are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Advertisement