Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Profanity in Mayo

• 28-06-2023 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’m currently living in Mayo and the c-word gets used a lot. And I mean a LOT beyond the amount Karl Urban says it in THE BOYS. - and it isn’t always intended as an insult.

Just a word instead of “dude” or similar or a way to describe the weather. And it is by men over the age of fifty.

Is this just a common word nowadays or is this a Mayo thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

TBH, I'd rear up more if someone said the word "dude" to instead of the word cunt.

Dude is just so American.

Cunt is profane and it's terribly sharp, but it's more familiar I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

Try North Connemara ya'cunchya!

I'm pretty sure I've heard it in mass :-)

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone ever see that teen film called 'Cúnt where's my car'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I dont hear dude a lot but it was the only thing I could think of when typing.

Just curious if this is just a Mayo thing but I think it must be be going on decades as it is all ages and especially among old men.

An example - I was in a cafe a for breakfast and a two old fart was welcomed by the waitress asking how he was and he declared the weather to be “c**tish”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Not to be confused with 'dude where's my cnut,'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭mikewest

Really op, you need to get out more. That's refined conversation round "them thar parts"

If by that you mean you think I’m shocked or offended or something - it is not that.

It is simply a curiosity - everywhere else I’ve been that particular word is kept for the most serious and deserved of situations.

And that is what I’m asking - is it just the norm in Mayo?and always has been?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭mikewest

It's pretty much the norm. The normal conversations in a schoolyard in any village in the west or midlands would embarrass a fishwife, never mind where the adults gather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I’d rather hear that being said than dude.

• Advertisement

• funny to me that in Ireland “dude” is seen as intolerable and absolutely horrendous thing to say whereas in the states calling someone a Cnut is the same.

It is a shame but profanity has lost all its impact. It used to mean something once.

The makers of THE BOYS think the use of c**t is funny or something but it became boring very very quickly. Loki saying quim to Black Widow bears it hands down.

Anyway I guess the question is answered. It isn’t Mayo but a Midwest and west of Ireland thing - although I’ve never witnessed it anywhere like in Mayo.

I must pay more attention and see if it is mainly men or if women are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In australia it's basically a terms of endearment for mates.

That's how it should be. No word should have some magic ability to offend in and of itself. Context is everything

Disagree with this.

The point of such a word is to insult - that is the purpose.

However, that purpose is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Eldudeson

It's used a lot in North Meath too. Laughed out loud at the ya-cuntchya posted before as I've heard that a lot from people I work with!

With the insult of that word being lost, what's the new one to cause outrage?

I don’t think is one.

Can’t imagine there ever being another that would have the impact that c**t used to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

In the book 'The Commitments' when Jimmy first goes to recruit Deco in the canteen his opening gambit is 'How's the soup' to which Deco responds 'cúntish'

So 'proper dubs' like Roddy Doyle (and Deco I suppose!) were using it like that in the 80s

The 1991 movie adaptation by Alan Parker plays it a little safer (international market yano) and upgrades the soup to a mere 'poxy'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can disagree if you like, but you are wrong. No word exists soley as to be an insult. It's always contextual. Saying the soup or the weather was cúntish is not an attempt to offend. Saying somebody is a "good cúnt" is a compliment, ot an insult. It was a word for vag for centuries before it became an offensive insult. That offense as worn off over the last of decades, as it's just a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah, it's used as a regular word in some rougher parts of the country even in front of kids.

My kids were introduced to it by adults and a Paddy's Day parade in Kilkee, Clare. Unbelievable, half pissed men and women in their mid 40's roaring "c4nt" at each other in the middle of the day as tractors towing floats for kids drive by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭statto25

"You B0llocks Yuh" would also be a term of endearment in Mayo. Used to greet a fond acquaintance or colleague

Look who is after coming in now....Howya John you b0llocks yuh"

• Advertisement

The word cunt used to be used in respectable society. It wasn't viewed as a "bad" word up until a couple of hundred years ago. In fact, There used to be a street in London called Gropecunt Lane. I'm sure you can guess what trade went on there. There were other Gropecunt Lanes elsewhere too.

But in England, especially in the London area and the south, the term cunt is used with great regularity. Someone can either be a "good cunt" or a "bad cunt". Which is why the character played by Karl Urban is always saying it. I know a lad from London living here and he uses to word in every second sentence. But not in an aggressive fashion.

In America, you'll find more people who'll be abhorred by the word. But, frankly, Americans have a very strange relationship with the English language. They have a very strange relationship with a lot of things.

As to whether it's men or women who would use the word cunt with more regularity, well then I can tell you in my experience it's mainly men. And some women will take you to task for saying it. Even if they're more than comfortable themselves with using their own profanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Tavrin Callas

Shakespeare used it all the way back in Hamlet. Act 3, Scene 2, between Hamlet and Ophelia he says:

Hamlet: Do you think I meant country matters?

There would have been every expectation that audiences in the time would have known exactly what he was implying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,374 ✭✭✭✭endacl

More evidence of us being right and then being wrong, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭waywill1966

When the Americans say fanny it sounds so funny in comparison to our use of the word!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

OP, don't ever go to Australia is all the advice I'll give you.

Yeah, it's the go to expletive for rednecks in Australia too. Cant's.

You can say I’m wrong all you like but I’m right and you are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭I see sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭I see sheep

I think 'Where's my car ya ****' would be better.

Okay. I thought maybe you were going say that Australians are all c**ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm from mayo and would have used the word growing up without ever knowing anything of its meaning.

It would be used as regularly as fuc k or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,681 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Curses are common in Mayo. Ask the footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭Archeron

Very rarely hear c*nt in general, but prick, geebag and wankstain are very popular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

Good film that. I'll watch anything with Paddy Considine in it.

Sorry, back to thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,742 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

This is an understandable reaction.

Not at all the same thing as being unable to speak without profanity.

Why is this lad filming himself cycling? For reasons like what happened there?

Yeah, drivers use them in cars for the same reason, they're called dashcams. Don't believe for a minute you've never heard of them.

Here we go again. There seems to be quite a few members who don’t bother reading posts they are responding to and just want to be seen as foolish.

Where in my post did I say anything remotely resembling “I’ve never heard of dashcams” or “never heard of cyclists using video cameras”?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭scotchy

On a related note. How common is the use of the word Gee (Hard G, Ghee. as opposed to the American soft Gee, Jee)?. I had an incident a few years back in Ennis where I was told the Lady hosting the party I was at, was famous for her Ghee. Now I knew it was some kind of Indian butter, but I had to explain why I was laughing, no one else had ever heard of its eh, other meaning.

I know there was a similar mix up on the Pat Kenny radio programme too that was very funny.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Common enough , not exclusively Mayo , though there are alot of cu@ts in Mayo 😬

You asked why is this man was filming himself cycling. It's fairly obvious. Turns out you knew exactly why.

I haven’t heard that used in years but recently I did see the Indian Butter mentioned on something and a similar mix up.

no idea what it was though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Nothing to worry about as long as you're a sound cųnt or a decent cųnt. Don't be a prick of a cųnt

No it isn’t obvious why because there are several reasons he could be doing it such he is cycling for charity, perhaps a charity related to mental health hence why the Twitter account is called Cycling for Mind.

You don’t have a clue why he is filming himself.

Regardless that has little to do with your original post to me about never having heard of dashcams - something you now want to ignore because of the foolish mistake you made earlier.

THE BOYS was the first time I heard the use of “a good c**t” and thought that was a first time such an expression was used until I got to Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I live in rural Ireland. Proper culchie card I carry.

C*nt would be a fairly common expletive used by most farmers.

The thing is, to them it's just another curse word like b1tch or ba5tard. There's no connotation to a woman's anatomy.

So I don't even bat an eyelid if I hear it, no more than if I heard a litany of fcuk yous.

Stay out of cattle marts and old man style pubs, OP is my best advice.

To thine own self be true

People swear. I swear.

Just the reason that led me to post is that (as you and others have said) the swearing in Mayo is just indeed words.

And the end of your post suggests you think I find it all highly offensive and that I’m a sensitive soul or something - I’m not. It is just as I said to others who thought the same - just curious about it all.

Just occurred to me now - is it the reason why the vast majority of front of house staff in hotels in Mayo are foreigners?

• Advertisement
Advertisement