Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Metal Detecting Be Legalised In Ireland Too?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lad does or did metal detecting on Dollymount beach in Dublin… I haven’t seen him since before the pandemic but he at least looks to have quite a professional looking set of detecting equipment…..

bit of a mystery as to what he expects to find, because a beach would have reasonable amounts of metal, from dropped coins, bits of drinks cans, old maritime waste from boats

• Registered Users Posts: 26,054 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It is a shame, but we have to deal with reality. There's a thriving international trade in illegally-obtained antiquities. There's enough people who can't be trusted to make this a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

True . I hadn’t thought of that . I was going on the basis that you’re a farmer on your own land.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sure what would you be looking for when you go metal detecting? Roman coins? Anything you found of any importance would belong to the state. Otherwise you're just pulling up metal belts from the 50s or old rust farm machinery.

The negatives far outweigh the positives to deregulation, amateurs going around damaging artefacts thinking they're going to get rich finding a bag of gold or the next Ardagh chalice when in fact these would automatically belong to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’d be looking for pulled steeples from rotting posts and various other steel items that were dropped and grew over by grass. So I hope to find, and remove , any pieces of metal that fell off tractors etc .I’m not looking for ancient coins or chalices . And as you say anything of historical value belongs to the state .

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

No doubt there's lots of interesting stuff just below our feet. I can see where this law is coming from though, You'd have people digging up everything and anything, and then you'd have those tourists and would be interested in doing so coming here and if they found something really historic and valuable and then left the country with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

Advertisement