If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Active speakers or Passive speakers with amplifier

Options
  • 25-06-2023 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys long time customer hoping can provide me with some guidance.

I currently have audio technica at-lpw50pb turntable and was wondering whether to buy active speakers like the triangle AIO twin or klipsch r-51pm. What would your opinion be of these speakers.

Or should I go down the route of passive speakers with amplifier.

I would like to use the speakers for both home theatre and music and do not want the equipment to take up too much room so bookshelf speakers would be best.

At some stage would probably add a sub but that would be it.

I was wondering what you think of the mission 778x amplifier combined with speakers Kef q150. Or would you suggest a different speaker and amplifier.

Either way I would require a system that would have inputs for my turntable, Bluetooth for streaming music from my phone, optical inputs to connect to my tv and the ability to add a sub down the road.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Zathrus.

Thanks for the post.

Personally I feel you always get the better sound quality from separates.

The Klipsch are a great Active speaker but the Mission 778 with the Q150 would be the superior setup.

The 778x is currently priced at 599€ and the Q150 at 349€ (The KEF's are very well priced in Euro as they also retail at £449 sterling).

You may require some speaker cable for this setup.

Cambridge Symphony 200 priced at 1.99€ per meter

You could maybe check out the Monitor Audio Bronze 50 which I could offer at 399€

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Zathrus

Hi Kenny thanks for getting back to me, can I ask what your opinion is of the mission 778x or the following. Cambridge audio axr100, Denon pma600ne and Yamaha music cast wxa 50. Would you have a preference. Also what do you think of the monitor audio bronze 100 speakers and how would they compare to the Kef q150?

Hi Zathrus.

The Mission 778x is a fantastic amp and in my opinion has superior sound quality to the others you have listed.

We use the 778x everyday as our Shopfloor demo system and it handles anything we have thrown at it.

I prefer the Bronze 100 over the Q150. The Bronze 100 are a more well rounded sounding speaker. You do jump up to 549€. I could offer these at 519€.

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your response, I have just one more question. I see that the 778x doesn't have a dedicated sub out. Is it still possible to connect a sub?

• Company Representative Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for getting back to us Zathrus.

You would need to connect a very specific sub like the Rel T series - these subs can be connected passively in the absence of a sub output:

You wouldn't be able to connect a normal sub with an LFE input I'm afraid.

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Hi David given this which of the following would you recommend as an alternative as I believe they would have cover all the connections I would need. Cambridge audio axr100, Denon pma600ne and Yamaha music cast wxa 50.

Thanks.

Hi Zathrus.

As I mentioned before the 778x will sound much better than all those other amps.

If you didn't want to go for the Mission then the PMA600NE would be my 2nd choice, following by the AXR100.

Hi Kenny,

Sorry for all the questions, but how would you connect a subwoofer to the mission 778x and is there a specific type of subwoofer that I would need to look for. If you could explain as simply as possible, I’m not an audiophile 🤪

Hi Zathrus.

The only way to connect a subwoofer to the Mission would be to use one that would connect into the speaker terminals on the amp along with the speakers.

The REL T5X mentioned above comes with the cables to allow you to connect into the speaker terminals and is designed to be ran that way.

Most other subwoofers run on a dedicated subwoofer input which is connected via a single phono to phono cable rather that speaker cable.

I hope this helps a little, any questions please let me know.

Hey, I’ve just been doing some research into different devices and came across the power node edge. It seems to have a lot of connectivity from sub to hdmi arc as well as access to many streaming services. I was wondering what is your experience with this device. Also is it possible to connect a turntable and if so how would you go about it. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi Zathrus.

The Power Node Edge is amazing to be honest.

We have used it several time for demo here t the store and use the Node as part of our normal HiFi instore.

Bluesound really have made some excellent products that work as they should and as you say their connectivity is 2nd to none.

It does have an onboard phono stage for a turntable but you can use an external one or if your turntable has its own built in then you can connect yia the 3.5mm analogue input on it. You will require some sort of 2 phono to 3.5mm adaptor as a turntable will only have phono cables. Or if you are using an external Phono stage then a 2 Phono to 3.5mm cable will work between the pre amp and the Node Edge.

I could sweeten the price a little and offer the Node Edge 680€

Cheers Kenny, I will get back to you when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

No problem at all Zathrus.

Any questions please let me know.

Hi Kenny, I’m back to wreck you’re head again. I think I’ve narrowed it down to a few set ups. First some background my room is 12ft x 15ft, type of music I would listen to would be Queen, Nickleback, Sia, Pink etc. So just wondering which of these would suit better or if you would recommend something else.

Denon PMA600NE / Kef q150

Denon PMA600NE / monitor audio bronze 50

Mission 778x / Kef q150

Mission 778x / monitor audio bronze 50

i would also require about 6 metres of QED performance micro cable and also banana plugs for the cables. If you could let me know the best price you could do for the above options and the cables plus banana plugs.

Hi Zathrus,

Kenny is off at the moment so I hope you don't mind me replying on his behalf.

For me it would be Mission and Bronze 50 all the way. We had a Mission 778X on display and it sounds incredible - similarly the Bronze 50s are an amazing compact bookshelf speaker that are well suited to rock and pop.

The only issue is - we are completely sold out the Mission in black, we only have on available in silver (it does look lovely in the silver finish though).

Would you be interested in the silver finish? Also what colour of speakers were you looking for?

Let me know and I can get back to you with a price.

Kind regards

David

Hi David, thanks for replying. I think the audio bronze 50 in urban grey could work. When you are replying with quote for the mission 778x could you also send me a quote for the Denon as well I only have so much in the budget. Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to me Zathrus.

I can do the following pricing for you:

Mission 778X Silver - £519/599 euro

Monitor Audio Bronze 50 Urban Grey - £279/339 euro

Denon PMA600 Black - £339/410 euro

For cabling I would recommend the QED XT25 which I could offer for £5.20/6.20 euro per meter.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hey guys, I’m afraid I will have to go for active speakers at the moment instead of separates. I was just wondering what your opinion is of the triangle elara ln01a and the klipsch r-51pm. Also what is the best price you can do on both, I know the klipsch r-51pm is being discontinued with newer model r-50pm replacing it.

Thanks.

Thanks for getting back to us Zathrus.

I haven;t actually heard the Triangles running as we haven't had a pair in for demo. I have heard good things about them though. We have the Klipsch R-51PM on display though and they sound incredible. I would highly recommend them after listening to them in store.

I can do a pair of R-51PM for £499/549 euro (the euro price is well reduced at the moment.)

The Triangles are currently £439/529 euro (the web price would be the best I could do on these)

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hi David thanks for response but I was able to get the klipsch for €509.

• Advertisement

Hey Zathrus.

Ahh.. You should have told us of the better price and I could have beat it for you and done them at 500€ delivered.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.