Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Hydrant sign in Garden

Options
  • 22-06-2023 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Curious if anyone has ever been told they need to have a water hydrant sign erected in their front fmgarden?

i would expect this from council or Irish Water but not directly from the developer. Again keeping it hypothetical but it would seem strange to be told 5 years in that we need a small headstone in the flower bed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

You could always ring IW to confirm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I there a water hydrant in your front garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kilkenny_30plus

Thanks I'll try IW but as they're not involved to my knowledge they may just refer me back to the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Usually access to the hydrant is via a small metal cover on the pavement itself and the signs are installed opposite them right on the very edge of the garden next to the pavement, not in it, so hardly much of an intrusion. I'd say you don't really have much choice in the matter, I mean, you would want the fire brigade to be easily able to find the hydrant in an emergency if you house was burning down, wouldn't you?

EDIT: Just read that this is 5 years later .. yes, a bit odd, but maybe it was an oversight that needs to be rectified, maybe it was discovered during one of the regular checks the fire brigade or IW carry out on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

It was likely requested by IW as part of the developer trying to handover the estate, we're 15 years here and similar signs appeared last year as they attempted to rectify all the issues prior to handover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d say the developer originally forgot to our in the market plate. And now the estate is going through a taken in charge or some other process where it required an audit and this deficiency was spotted.

Hydrants are required to supply the fire services with water and the fire services are required to be able to get a vehicle to within 45mm of the front door.

Now, notwithstanding that, the hydrant is in place so a marker plate in accordance with BS3251 must be installed.

These can usually be installed on a solid wall, boundary or house but in the absence of that, a marker post can be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kilkenny_30plus

Great. Thanks for all the feedback. I think the developer forgot to do it and has now been told to fix it. Just a pity it has to be in the garden when most of these are on footpaths. Agree on the necessity to have these just a shame it's now being placed on private property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

"the fire services are required to be able to get a vehicle to within 45mm of the front door."

???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As mentioned they're usually placed right on the boundary between garden and pavement not actually in your garden to any real degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement
Advertisement