Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood test results

Options
  • 21-06-2023 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there, can anyone advise what the general procedure is with getting results of your blood test from your GP. I paid 60 euro for a consultation and was told I need to get my bloods done. Paid 30 euro for bloods to be taken. Now when I want to know the results I'm told I have to pay for another GP consultation of 60 euro. In the past a nurse would call to advise over the phone and let you know if there was any problems with your bloods. Has anybody had this experience? I'm thinking its my blood, surely I'm entitled to the information relating to it without having to pay for another consultation? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ThreeGreens

In my experience, it's normal to get a call telling you the results without any further charge.

You could always ask the secretary to email you a copy of the results, but you'll have to interpret the results yourself then. (The form does tell you what is normal for each measurement, but unless you know what you're talking about, you won't know which ones to worry about and which to ignore).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Paying €60 for another consultation is ridiculous.

Paying the €30 to have them taken is a bit steep as well. The HSE pays for all blood tests; the tubes, the forms, the transport, the laboratory and labour costs. The fee your GP charges is for their time to take the samples and interpret the results. If they want you to pay another 60, what was the 30 for?

Anyways, you have the right to your medical records, you shouldn't be charged for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

The girlfriend lives in Navan and does the same as me in Dublin, both on medical card so not sure if you are

Book bloods on https://www.swiftqueue.com/

Ring doctor for envelope and then get it off them an go and do bloods for free in hospital

Nurse usually rings with results

Or

I know my doctor said there is a new scheme where they do your blood tests free twice a year (usually 15/20 again with medical card) once you have a long term illness (im type 2 diabetic)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Legally you are entitled to any data that is held on file relating to you. Send an email to the doctors and tell them you would like to make a subject data access request for all the data they hold on file with you.

Making you pay for a consultation is just utter madness and not needed, you could also complain to the Medical Council. My doctor is in Ashbourne and they give me copies of all my test results as and when needed and you would get a call or a message with your results.

If there is something in the bloods that needs further medical treatment / medication then I would expect a consultation at half rate since it's related to the original complaint you went in with if it's within a very short timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

My dr always ring with results the following week or he says if I don’t hear anything after a week give them a ring and they give me the results over phone.

I have heard stories that some drs are now charging to give results as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Good luck with getting a blood test in Navan in a sensible time scale, the average wait these days for a test is at least a month, and getting the test through the GP (and having to pay for it) is not much shorter, Covid gave the system the perfect excuse to change how they managed the queues, and now, getting an urgent blood test is impossible.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Yeah not far off it, you are meant to plan your sickeness is how the HSA operates

Advertisement