Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to Get Alarm System Installed This Week, A Few Questions...

Options
  • 21-06-2023 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hello,

We have a new build wired for an alarm. What I would like (if it's possible) is that the system can alert me on my phone if it goes off when I'm away and I have the ability to arm/disarm it remotely. What I'd ideally prefer to not have would be lots of ongoing subscriptions. The guys doing our house electrics have offered:

--------------------

Intruder Alarm Price:

• 10/270 HKC Hybrid Panel
    • External Bell Box with Siren and LED Lights
    • Decoy External Bell Box
    • Internal Siren
    • 1 x Remote Touch Screen Keypad
    • 7 Amp Battery to provide back up in the event of a mains failure
    • P.A. on keypad
    • 11 x MC Sensors & 1 x contact to cover windows & external doors
    • 8 x Passive Infra-Red Beams throughout
    • 1 X 10 zone Expander
    • Full certification for insurance purposes   
    • Alarms comply to IS EN 50131:1-2006
    • All alarms are PSA Certified   

Total Cost: xxx plus VAT @ 13.5%

Optional Extras:

• GSM WiFi Unit for remote control Phone App Integration and text messaging €195 inc VAT

This requires a monthly charge of €5.80 to the service provider. Please see the following with a demonstration of this app. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNvPGUqTQUc

• Annual Maintenance and Monitoring:

Annual Maintenance fee €150.00 plus VAT @ 13.5% €170.25 (1st year free)

Annual IP Monitoring fee €150.00 plus VAT @ 23% €184.50

Our maintenance contract allows for one annual service of the alarm, free call outs during the year, if parts are used they are only charged at cost. IP monitoring ensures a fast, secure, polled service which ensures alarm monitoring is protected against future network changes. For the monitoring contract, you can have multiple keyholders linked to your account. In the event of an activation the keyholders will be contacted and for confirmed alarms if they cannot be reached, the Gardai will be called to check on your premises.

---------------------------------------

I didn't include the pricing for the main bit but just for the added extras

What I'm wondering is if there is any way of having a system that I can control remotely via HKC app or whatever without needing ongoing contracts?

I had a similar HKC system to the above about 12 years ago with SIM module, I would have thought it would have moved on a bit since then technology wise but it seems to basically be the same.

If anyone could advise me quickly on this I'd appreciate it, was planning to get the above installed this week.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

Would you consider going for Ring security system? Wireless system that can be installed by yourself. You can get the basic set up if you want and then add extra door and window sensors/cameras/floodlights/motion sensors over time. It even has a sensor for sheds. Can be armed/unarmed from your phone. It can also be scheduled to be armed/unarmed through the app so you don't have to remember to turn it on every night bed you go to bed.

It works best with the subscription which is €10 per month or €100 paid annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭blobert

Thanks, I think we're best with a wired system.

We'll probably go with a decent camera/smart doorbell system but I'm leaning towards a more traditional alarm also.

The house is very big and a spaced out bungalow. I'd be wary of wireless sensors that will have failing batteries/need to be swapped etc, just looking for somthing as painless as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

No there is no longer a way that you can remotely control a HKC panel for free or a cheap SIM card.

It connects to HKC's server directly and with their latest App you have full remote control of the system, the mention of them of texting could be redundancy should your phone not have access to mobile broadband where ever you may be. Better to get a text that your alarm has activated rather than none via the APP should you be on the side of a mountain sometime.

As regards their mention there of Garda response should keyholders not be available, they are wrong there, Gardai always require keyholders to attend to an activation if they are called, the logic being, the key holder can allow them in should the worst thing have occurred.

Advertisement