Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot pain - Orthotics

Options
  • 20-06-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all

I am recovering from foot fracture which seems to have healed but walking is not the same. Struggling with foot stiffness and pain in knee and ankle. Someone suggested to see an Orthotics for insoles etc. Just wondering are they beneficial and how much a pair of insoles costs. I guess insurance won't cover it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I got a pair for 250 euro designed for me, I had achilles problems for playing sport. They worked for me but can't comment on anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,552 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've had all my metatarcels & all my ligaments broken on one foot in a freak sports accident. I now have a titanium cage around the middle of my foot after two big operations which have changed the actual shape of my foot. It was almost a life changing injury that could have led to hip, knee, ankle and back problems if it were not for a good physio (a proper, qualified one) and sticking to the regimes.

I would 100% advise a good physio & I'd advise doing all the exercises they advise. This will be standing on pillows or cushions while catching balls, stretches, weird stances, odd postures, but you'll be fixed. Don't be afraid to push it. I'm back at the extreme sport that destroyed my foot.

I wish you the best of luck. PM me if you want.

Edit... North Face runners are excellent for this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Depending on your insurance, if you have a letter from a physio, you may be able to claim some of the money back for the orthotics under 'medical appliances' cover. You'd need to check your exact policy. It doesn't apply if you buy a standard pair yourself. You have to go through practitioner I think.

But if you didn't have issues before, and it is post recovery, then orthotics may not be suitable as they relate to specific conditions, exercises may be the way to go.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Thanks everyone. VHI is covering all cost after initial €300 for insoles. And physiotherapy is also covered partially. Decided to go for custom insoles and also booked physiotherapy. Its time to do a proper rehabilitation.

Advertisement