Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on imported car

Options
  • 19-06-2023 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi there

I just bought an imported Honda Fit from a SIMI approved dealer but have only managed to get a quote from AXA. I bought a car from this dealer a few years ago and had no issue but for some reason this one does. I didn't get a chance to get quotes before I bought it because it hadn't been registered yet.

The dealer gave me a list of insurers he assured me would offer quotes but of all of them only AXA have offered me a policy. I rang Chill who have a page on their site boasting about how they insure imported cars but the agent today didn't want to know. It's really disappointing.

I've had a full licence for 9 years with no crashes, no penalty points and no convictions. I haven't had a policy in my own name for 7 years but have been named on one since May last year.

I'd appreciate any suggestions of insurers or brokers who might be able to help.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sarahsan

Hi, I'm facing the same issue, just wondering if you got sorted in the end? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭con747

Try https://www.kennco.ie/ I know a few people who used them when finding it hard to get insurance.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

Call the insurers directly. Online systems don’t know what a Honda Fit is.

Axa and Allianz definitely insure them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's been Fit's imported for years now, if the online system isn't registering it's not updated to their systems since it's newly imported or the company doesn't want to insure the car . Wait a few days for the car to see if the car comes on the system when you enter the reg. When I got my new car and went to transfer the insurance the model wasn't on my insurance companies database, it was one of the 1st sold in the country, so I picked what sounded closest. There was no way the person on the phone could manually enter my car model and the model closest to mine wasn't an option. When I got the cert I called the insurance company and my model was on the system.

There's no point in calling a company if the computer says no. My last car was a big petrol and one year I tried every insurance company and broker I could find online. I requested call backs from any that offered and none of the call backs resulted in a quote, one poor call centre worker got really confused as the system called me back but wouldn't allow them to offer me a quote. I called a few that didn't offer quotes or call backs and still got no quotes.

There's no way to know what companies will insure vehicles. Just because I get a good quote on Fit today doesn't meant that someone with similar history will get a quote tomorrow from the same company, it's all done on algorithms with very litter human interaction. I was doing some mess quotes a few days ago and picked a random reg and Eircode, got refused quote. I picked another random Eircode and got a quote. The only way to find the best quote is to get quotes from every company and broker you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sarahsan

This was really helpful, thank you! Both AXA and allianz were very helpful (could even get my allianz quote online). In case anyone else is looking, Zurich will also do it (although does depend who you're talking to, first person told me it's not possible, and then got a call from someone else there who offered me a quote), and Britton insurance also do Japanese imports. Kennco and Liberty don't do them anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

Just to update you all, I got a reasonable quote with Allianz in the end. I was surprised at how straightforward it was given the hoops AXA and others wanted me to jump through.

Advertisement