Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No tank temperature showing on eddi (new install) and max temp reached too quickly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

I had the same problem of Eddi displaying Max Temp Reached even though the water was cold. This seems to have got me sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ollin

Thanks for your reply, I tried that today. Seems no better, max temp reached way too quick again. I might just bite the bullet and replace it, although a week prior to solar install I had a spark out to check it out and he said everything looked 100% with immersion. Things never seem to be straightforward in my house but once we get to the bottom of it I'll post back to let yee know.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tandcapply

Got relay board and pt1000 self installed today.

Trying to figure out where is it best to attach to as it currently early evening) shows 26degrees Celsius when just (temporarily) sits near the lower thermostat. And 34deg when was near the pipe above where it shows below

UPDATE: sunny day today, lunchtime.

Max temperature reached came up after 1.6kwh drawn. Probe near upper pipe on the left showed 44deg and when moved lower (as per photo above) showed 34deg.

Is it likely that only the short element (of the dual) is heated by eddi?

Also, Ive just limited eddi to 4A (1kw) under device limit..

Post edited by tandcapply on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Seems likely that the Eddi is on the small element, top is heating and not circulating.

The limit is a stop gap to getting the eddi hooked in to the bath element and your temp probe in a suitable place. The Eddi has a cut off heat setting so best to set that below the cut off of the immersion heater tripping point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If you remove the device limit and boost the eddi manually, what power does it use for each tank? I am looking for power, kW not energy kWh.

If it's about 2kw it's on the sink, 3kw it's on the bath.

• Advertisement

Increased the top Thermostat on the cylinder to about 80deg as a test.Tank2 drew 2.5kwh today and pt-1000 Probe placed at 1/3 down from top showed 50deg and had plenty of water but definitely not leaving the thermostat at 75-80 degrees

Post edited by tandcapply on

To clarify drew 2.5kW or 2.5kWh?

So you got it to take more energy overall by limiting it to approx 1kW draw at a time.....

That's good. The next step would be to turn the limit off, manual boost and see the max instantaneous draw as someone mentioned earlier - 3kW means bath element, 2kW or less and it's likely connected to the sink element.

If you confirm that it's the sink element you can either connect the bath too and reconfigure the Eddi accordingly or swap it to just hook up to the bath element.

@Nelbert sorry for late reply. It drew 2.4kw in bypass mode. Not sure if it helps determine long or short element.

• Advertisement

Depends on the exact model but it's most likely connected to the shorter element (would expect long one to pull ~3kW). So it's heating the top part of your tank and triggering the temp cutoff too early as the water isn't circulating....

Quick solution is to knock everything off at your consumer board and swap it to the other element and then retest again with no current limit. If that pulls ~3kW you then have it connected to the long element and it's likely to be able to heat up find without a current limit imposed.

Edit: that assumes you're comfortable! If not get a sparks!

Or try boosting the other "tank" and see if that is connected.

It drew 2.4kw in one go.

Not sure if that solves it

Only tried tank2. Tank 1 only every got to 1.3kWH (and never switched to tank2 as showed max temp reached) so pretty much left it alone, assuming it's the short element so lesser priority and trying to get tank2 to get as close to 3kWH without turining up the Thermostat to 85Degrees celcius

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nothing wrong with turning up the temp to 85degrees as long as you don't continually trip the internal cut-off, just throw a mixer value on the output to avoid gross 85degrees hitting the taps etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Lots of shower pumps aren't rated for that temperature so you need to be careful.

I'm also reluctant to go higher than the current 70ish degrees the cylinder thermostat is sets to as the mixer tap can scald if someone moves the lever to the most left position

You're bouncing between kW and kWh so it's hard to be sure what you mean at times...

kW is instantaneous power - i.e. it's pulling 3kW (e.g. 240V x 12A).

kWh is total energy. So if your 3kW immersion was on full blast for an hour it would use 3kWh.

Without any limits in place you need to establish which element is able to pull the higher instantaneous power as that will be the longer "bath" element and will enable getting the most overall energy in to the tank.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My pump is 65max which is the reason for mixer which lowers temp to 60 by mixing in from the cold tank as necessary

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I'll summarise if makes it clearer.

Will take yesterday, cylinder was cold as all hot water used the night before.

In the morning, Eddi was sending between 0.4 to 2.4kw over 2 hours.

Once it reached 2.4kwh it stops and shows max temperature reached.

And what we were asking was the power under boost in the top right.

Sorry, thought I've uploaded that too. See below got to 2.4 for a bit

It never got to 2.4kW instanteous pull..... Looks like max power is ~2kW (it pulled 2.4kWh of total energy!) so it's likely connected to the shorter element, heating the top of the cylinder, tripping the temp cutoff and then stopping heating while having had minimal impact on the overall tank.

As you can see graememk's peaks about 3kW of instanteous power which most immersion "bath" elements are.

Check if both elements are connected and if so boost the other "tank" in the app to see if it'll pull the 3kW that's expected. If both elements aren't connected you (or a sparks or your installer) need to connect your Eddi to your bath element.

See today, 2.4 so still unsure if short or long is wired at present

Is that via solar or boost?

Solar only, wasn't home and it even got to 2.5kw:

Just do a boost from the app and once up to full power, see how much it is drawing and then cancel the boost.

Do it for one heater, and then try the other one.

I knew the answer........

Do the boost that has been suggested multiple times.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the boost advice I'll try it some morning, normally by the time I even get to look at it, It's full or getting there

Advertisement