Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The minefield of used cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes you need your wits about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

You'll probably find that that is a UK import and someone has their miles and kilometres mixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

That wouldn't account for this discrepancy it looks.

EDIT: or actually maybe the clocks previously were displaying KM and the owner changed them to display miles two years ago, but the tester is just blindly putting in the number displayed as KMs - so current 'mileage' is actually over 400k KMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭User1998

Its rare for miles and km to be mistaken once, nevermind 2 years in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Also why take the picture down instead of just offering the explanation.

I'd wager he clocked the 3 to a 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When you mentioned facebook market place, that was enough for me. That's where the bottom feeders of barter town dwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hardly a master criminal given that he put the cert up on the add.

The usual tactic is to give the disc only as this just shows the mileage at the latest test and then direct buyer to nct website to confirm that test is genuine. Result - dodgy mileage readings hidden until next test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Just got a run a round for the wife.

A poxy Citroën C1 which had low milage and the surprise I got when she came home delighted with the NCT cert..

I mean, who clocks a car like that ffs

Anyhow it's mad its not investigated when a discrepancy is so blatant..should be a fail straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I wouldn’t bother doing a Cartell check on a cheap car if it seemed decent. That’s what the unscrupulous people are relying on though. And if they don’t fool one person, they will fool someone.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Clocking is a crime and can be investigated if reported.

NCT would not be the appropriate body to carry out an investigation. They just record what is on the clock on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I had to replace an instrument cluster on a car I sold and it lead to a loss of milage. Explained it to the buyer it was an old car not worth getting it reprogrammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Wouldn't expect NCT to do the investigation but would definitely expect them to report to the relevant body.

Its not illegal to clock a car and NCT have no authority there.

What are they going to do? Report every single mileage discrepancy they find to the Garda?

If you buy a clocked car its your own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭lau1247

RSA would tell you differently (Link). Though it is more for trade rather than private sales below, none the less, Garda is really the main go to.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

As if the Gardai are going to prosecute a private individual for clocking a car. Like you say, it’s usually only if a trader is caught clocking multiple cars that a case will be made. CCPC won’t interfere unless the person in question is a registered trader

The NCTS are only recording information. It will be useful to the guards etc in the investigation of a crime in the future.

If I roll back the clock on my car and the NCTS record it, why would they report it? I’ve committed no crime by changing my odo reading.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Don't buy without a vouched service history. A stamped book isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭sligopaul

In an ideal world all cars will have a stamped service history backed up with invoices etc, unfortunately most cars in Ireland are not like that particularly in the sub 5k bracket , you need to buy on condition and with any evidence of maintenance you can gather .

I would say a vehicle check is invaluable , I have just bought a first car for my son and even at the lower end of the market I have used checks and 3 out of 5 cars came back as insurance right offs ( All in UK ) and none were declared by the owners when I queried in initial contact . Some sellers may not know but my gut feeling was the sellers I dealt with did .

I would also say from experience for those who watch YouTube don't waste your time on a Car Vertical check , I found they even missed information freely available from the UK Gov website on mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Yip, I wouldn't buy anything from Fakebook market place.

Full of scammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Exactly, on my sub 2k cars I expect fully stamped OEM dealer service history including OEM oil and filters every 10k km.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Not at all, plenty of good cars for sale there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Its happening all over the place, was looking at cars and seen one advertised as low mileage. 40k miles circa. Clicked into ad and it had leather seats

Now unless it was a couple of hippos having sex during eat of those 40k miles the thing had been clocked and clocked substantially. Asked the guy why such huge wear on the leather if only 40k miles. No answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Spent the last while looking for a car around the €3.5k mark with the young lad for his fist car (he has spent all of the last year saving like mad!!). It certainly is a minefield at that price range. The trick is not to be in a rush to buy and look around and also consider the seller. We ended up getting a Golf from a family who had had it two years and had put it through the NCT only a month ago. All NCT mileages stacked up and the car was fairly clean for one that was 15 years old. The viewing was done with an older chap who seemed sound enough and then his wife and kids came down for her to sign the paperwork so that gave some peace of mind. I'll ignore the tippex on the engine and change the belt soon but can't fault the car.

But we did see some shitboxes though when looking. Tyre's with the threads showing, NCT's with no paperwork to back up the mileage, NCT paperwork showing that the car was clocked (in one case the mileage went backwards twice over the years), cars advertised as being owned by the same person for years but motortax.ie showing a change of ownership 2 months ago, cars with oil leaks that'd destroy your drive, and so on. If my young lad had been on his own he would bought the first wreck he seen with allow wheels and a shiny exhaust, I had to clam him down (breaking his leg when playing a match helped as he wasn't able to drive for ages and that made him relax and wait for the right car to come up)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Any thoughts on where best to sell a 2nd hand car? I have the task of selling a car for a deceased relative. I tried on DoneDeal but so many messers. And then the odd Dealer (I'm presuming) offering ridiculously low amount for "quick cash sale". I just want a somewhat reasonable price! Is CarZone the best option?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,169 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Carzone is mainly used by dealers rather than private sales. Unfortunately messers are part and parcel of selling stuff on the popular platforms. If it were not donedeal it would be somewhere else.

If you are willing to take a hit on the price in order to avoid time wasters then try contacting some reputable dealers to see if they would buy it from you. They will probably offer you less than you would get by selling it yourself but it will be quicker and painless. Really depends on the model of car and it's age though.

How much are you asking ?

Assuming it's not worth a lot you are probably best persevering with DD.

You could also try spreading the word among family/friends. There's always someone looking for a handy money car.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

It's an i10 2011, 22,000 kms. Automatic. Asking 5k for it.

Advertisement