Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Hotel room for work conference

Options

Comments

Yeah, I agree. Even in a suite, I think I'd still be uncomfortable with it. But others might not.

I shared a twin room at a union conference once, many, many years ago and it was not something I'd do again.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I snore. I don't think anyone should have to suffer that. But seriously, that's a hard pass from me. Surely there is a level of privacy you can expect, which should not include sharing a room with work colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I would point out how vunerable one of their employees is, when they are asleep in a room with someone they barely know and how the company has a duty of care towards their employees.

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That would be a flat refusal from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Not a hope I would share a room with a work colleague, if they insisted then I wouldnt go or make my own arrangements.

Huge can of worms asking people to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Did it once many years ago. Wouldnt again. I snore ...loudly.

Ear plugs and pillow over head did not save him.

Lucky i didnt get a pillow over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Hooked

WTF!

I'd barely share a room with some of my FAMILY/MATES!

A WORK colleague. Not a chance...

I assume all same-sex? They'd hardly be assking men and women to share a room, would they? Bizzare!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Not a hope would I share a room with a colleague unless there was some sort of disaster that made it completely unavoidable and even then. I'm reluctant to share a room with a friend these days, no matter a stranger from work.

Do you at least get to chose who you're supposed to share with? If everyone else is OK with the arrangements I imagine I'd come down with the flu or food poisoning at the last minute and be unable to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Segregating by sex doesn’t prevent shenanigans, whether by choice or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ah ok, maybe we actually thinking the same thing then. It would be a legal quagmire for HR to even ask employees about Gender Identity..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Not unless they want a few months gone to sex assualt/rape investigation

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Similar happened to me, there were electrical storms and we were brought somewhere on a bus over an hour away from the airport to be put up in a hotel and wait for the next flight the following morning.

I was with a work colleague also but he was a good pal of mine and luckily enough we got put in the room together so didn’t kick up a fuss just went to the hotel bar for the night but yeah if I was put in with some randomer I wouldn’t be happy at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

When I was an apprentice we used to do country work a lot and always shared, when I got a bit older I insisted on single room. These days there’s not a hope I’d even expense a trip I’d insist on them paying up front and I might expense a meal if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Quitelife

You dont work For Keelings Fruit by any chance, they squeeze about 8 of their East European employees into a caravan every night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

When abraham Lincoln was working as a lawyer he often had to share a bed with a complete stranger, let alone a room. Its no big deal. Just get on with it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've had it in the private sector.

Way to avoid it for more minor things was book and expense the rooms, but for big company events that wasn't an option. Twin rooms all the way unless you were lucky the be the last one to turn up and there was an uneven number of your gender.

Other employers have not had that rule, but it's not unheard of. Another preferred single as there had been a few incidences of heavy after hours hotel room drinking which seemed to be less when everyone had their own room!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Limerick_dude

I travel a lot for work and there isn't a hope in hell I would share with a colleague and to be fair I would be pretty certain that this kind of scenario would never be put forward by the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

• Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You could, if you're willing to top up the allowance to meet the bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭billgibney

I work for a govt dept.

We get an overnight allowance of €167 per night per person for hotels.

You can share a room together and keep any savings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I sleepwalk in strange environments. Really bad. Have ended up climbing into wrong beds.

When solo, I block hotel doors with baggage and keep a sock on with the key card in it.

Share at your peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You can stay where you like, but the 24 hr subsistence allowance is 167 euro.

You can stay with relations, you can stay with your mother, you can stay in the Shelbourne, but the max normal 24hr allowance is 167.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What happens if you get sent somewhere that you can't get accommodation for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, since accomm costs jumped, especially in Dublin, there is an extra rate for Dublin. I don't know much about it:

It seems to be vouched to 167 for accomm plus 39.08, all within 24 hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Other members of the public service get even less.....107 per night. Try getting anywhere to stay for that these days!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was amazed to get a same day booking in a 4* in a large provincial town today for 129. 107 is winter money if even

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Are you saying the o/p will be assassinated if he shares a hotel room? new one on me!

@TonyOR - if worst comes to worst, tell them you sleep naked.

They can't force you to wear pyjamas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Advertisement