Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooker wiring query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Yea it's unlikely an overload occurs on fixed appliances. If the oven has 13 amps of elements, it's unlikely it can draw more than 13 amps except in fault conditions, the magnitude of which are not related to the ovens max load. I'd say other appliances with 13a fuses in their plugs possibly have flexes smaller than the 13a rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

It's just not likely. Cable damage involves a short, in which case the mcb trips, or the point of damage clears itself as strands of the cable burn away. A sustained overload is not probable. Plenty of fixed appliances have internal wiring smaller than supply cables. And while we will hear it said the protective device is for the supply cable, we still don't see internal wiring in cookers etc getting overloaded, even though it's often only sized for a single hob element.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Afaik that rule is applicable to cooking

I don't think there's anywhere on domestic fixed wiring that overload protection is omitted

There was unprotected tails and unfused spurs on rings

Still though the advisory is 4sq and then there's manufacturers instructions

A possible issue with connecting appliances direct is someone uses the appliance lead as an extension to a higher wattage cooking appliance later so 4 maybe safer I reckon

Advertisement