Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,020 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yea, but like I said, Dee knows him years and is still with him. It’s not the first time these type rumors have been around him. Dee will be fine n dandy.

He is not a married man, and that is that bit different compared to his current situation. I’d also have little doubt that if he was married, that Dee would still be by his side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭prunudo

The more stories that come out and the more frequent they become, the more I'm convinced its not if but when that it will all unravel for him. Whether he believes his own bs, is playing up for his entourage, substance abuse or a bit of all 3, I don't know. But it will end badly for him and the sooner that happens the better as far as I'm concerned,.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

For his kids sake it’s a case of the sooner the better his kids seethat this is not how good men are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Dee won't leave him. Just like Wayne Rooney's missus didn't leave him when he was riding auld wans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭jj880

If McGregor did end up in court and it was televised stateside I could see an Amber Heard type scenario. Everyone running for the hills not to be associated with him and a list of detestable deeds from a very unlikeable individual. Probably coked up to his eyeballs on the stand too. His team would look to avoid it at all costs if they've any sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭jj880

Have to agree with this. Doesn't take much for the sponsors to jump ship and the house of cards to come down. He must be close to cancellation. Few more fvck ups should do it. He'll be grand cash wise. Could end up in jail though which would do no harm.

I think he thrives on the notoriety and being a bit of a bad boy. Loves the attention from it. Like a big child, but very highly strung. Definitely plays to the gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Incredibly harsh comparing what McGregor has been doing to what Wayne Rooney did.

Rooney didn’t have numerous, violent, sexual assault claims made against him and he never hit an old man for not taking a drink.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Seeing stories stateside that he could potentially be looking at 12 years at a minimum. Police involved too so it doesnt seem to be about getting a settlement alone.

Lads its not beyond the realms of possibilty that the guy burns through his cash reserves. Tyson done it. Cage done it. It happens. He'll have plenty of people bleeding him too. He'd be a nobody in a state pen either. Sharing with bubba. LOL.

• Advertisement

The comparison is more to do with cheating/straying allegations.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭RockOrBog

Mctapper looks drunk or wasted all of the time now. He is a functioning addict who is only heading one direction. With all his money and pompous attitude he is bound to expire like a dying star... Like watching a car accident as you are going past.

Rooney isnt in the same ball park as McTapper. Rooney cheated yes. Thats between him amd coleen.

Mctapper has been accused on sexual assault on more that one occassion. Thats the issue. Not cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭prunudo

Had this conversation with a mate recently, he wouldn't entertain the idea that he could loose it all, had made too much money to squander it and that he was too savvy to loose it all. Time will tell as the they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wasn't comparing McGregor with Rooney. I meant their partners are unlikely to leave them when they're so used to the good life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Unlikely. McGregor has a good business head on him. He is obsessed with his net worth and he's exceptionally transactional with all of his dealings. The likes of Tyson and Mayweather just assumed that the money would never dry up and spent it as it came in. I believe he's got a growing property empire and the way he essentially flipped his Proper 12 investment showed decent savvy.

He said himself that Tyson gave him good advice about what not to do, based on the mistakes that he himself had made when he was raking it in. He's got a pretty good radar for people who he sees as trying to leech off of him too.

Conor adores wealth and money. Very unlikely he squanders it. He’s worth a serious amount, and even if he did make mistakes, there’s plenty room for it!!!

btw, Mayweather is even more obsessed with wealth and material things, and he definitely won’t squander it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

I don’t think that Conor McGregor is savvy about his money and wealth. However I do think that he has someone in his payroll who is.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I’ll admit I was a big fan of his during his early UFC career. He had something special - was ploughing through opponents and had a funny wit to go along with his performances. Me and my friends had great nights staying up for his fights

It all seemed to turn once he got the big pay day for the Mayweather fight. Both in terms of his athletic performances and the mask slipped big time. No longer was he looking to the future and applying himself. Now he had achieved the wealth and fame he could let his true character come out - he is an out and out scumbag of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I’d be happy to bet 20 quid that he’ll be bankrupt within 15-20 years.

As for having savvy people on his payroll? They’ll be the first ones out the door when they say no to him on a comedown day.

Its pretty depressing. To come from a modest upbringing, have friends that definitively had tougher lives, and do nothing with it, just snort it up your nose.

The good that he could do instead of this ar*ehole route though…

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Courts couldnt get the kinihans back from the Costa I doubt they could make him pay her from dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Apparently the girl sitting beside him at the NBA finals is the victim. That's a serious dollar seat so was obviously invited to it by someone famous. McGregor maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

So you think that he’s going to abandon his 4 children and their mother. What would that do to his reputation. His kids living in a council house in Finglas while he jetsets around the world. Really?

Can we scrap this idea of Dee and kids ever coming close to living in need..even if Conor disappeared with every cent he has ever earned, Dee and her children would still be living a very comfortable financial life..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I get that he's an obnoxious, narcissistic, scumbag who flaunts his money and people like that are often morons. He isn't though.

Even from the very beginning of his UFC career he began making intelligent decisions, both on his pathway to his titles and on the financial side of things.

1. After his UFC debut McGregor used his post fight interview to immediately request one of the $60k bonuses on offer that night. That wasn't the done thing at the time but now it's ridiculously common to see it after fights
    2. He got that bonus and partially used it to buy himself a designer suit. That might sound like an idiotic decision but he had a plan. UFC Fighters didn't wear suits but McGregor wanted to portray himself as a business man from the get go. He wore suits from then on when promoting his bouts and before and after fights.
    3. He was a relentless self-promoter. Many fighters despise the media side of things but McGregor relished it as he saw the opportunity for self-promotion and to get more eyeballs on his fights. He also figured out the attention economy and became a veritable content factory for memes and quotations.
    4. On his run to the UFC title he was infamous for learning everything he could about his opponents. He would then use this information to come up with witty put-downs in pre-fight press conferences. This was all part of a strategy. McGregor has an unusually strong punch from his left hand. Any decent opponent would realise that and know to avoid it. However McGregor often had them in such a blind fury with his verbal barbs that many of his opponents lost all their discipline and ended up getting knocked out (most famously the long-time champion Jose Aldo) in the first round.
    5. After becoming champion he immediately requested a shot at the champion in the next highest weight category. While this kind of thing is common in boxing it was entirely unheard of in the UFC. In the past the UFC simply wouldn't have allowed it but McGregor was now their biggest star and he used this leverage to ultimately make the fight happen.
    6. McGregor was by now a millionaire and was starting to dip his toe in the business side of things. He noticed that he, as the biggest star in the sport was giving a lot of interviews to various dedicated MMA media companies who had their own ad-generated revenue streams. He therefore set up his own media company, The Mac Life and gave them a disproportionate amount of his interviews (also where he had editorial control).
    7. After he became the first person to win two belts he again used his leverage with the UFC to get them to do something that they had always refused to allow in the past: cross promote a fight with another promotion. This was the infamous boxing match with Floyd Mayweather. When McGregor initially discussed this as a possibility everyone thought he was crazy. On paper the idea was absolutely ludicrous. Someone who had never fought a professional boxing match was trying to fight a 49-0 multiple world champion. He was relentless about it though and willed it into actually happening where he made something like $100m
    8. He used part of that money to invest in some anonymous blended whiskey company. He created a name for it, marketed it relentlessly and then sold most of his stake along with his partners for a reported $600m. It's not known how much of that he got but safe to say he did well out of the venture.

I don't personally like the man. I think, especially since the Mayweather fight he pitches himself at the lowest common denominator whilst behaving appallingly. However I cannot deny the evidence that he has a talent for thinking outside the box and relentlessly making money for himself and has done so since the very beginning of his career (ie when he didn't have the money to hire business consultants)

I understand the wish to see him humbled and penniless but I cannot see it happening. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up in jail though especially for some kind of sexual assault, given his track history and general air of invincibility.

Many super-wealthy and successful people are morally bankrupt.

Some are just better at covering up their crimes than others, irrespective of how business savvy they may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Sure. He's just been unlucky. I've lost count of the amount of allegations against the lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I never liked him from the start, only complete low lives like him now.

I disown him when a foreigner says oh you are Irish like Conor McGregor.

he will definitely end up in prison or be dead before he is 40.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement