Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i doing something wrong in 2016 VW Tiguan?

Options
  • 16-06-2023 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

I am an experienced driver driving over 30 years. I recently bought a 2016 VW Tiguan with stop start system.

When i am driving and i slow down but not stop i go down through the gears to second gear but when i go to accelerate the car cuts out.

This happens on a daily basis and have had a few close calls. I have never had this before.

This is my first stop start car and was wondering if im doing something wrong.

E.g. I come to a roundabout and have free access. I slow down as i approach roundabout and go down through gears to 2nd gear and when i try to increase speed the car just cuts out. Sometimes it automatically starts again and other times i have to start manually.

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭b318isp

Have you bypassed the Stop-Start system, and see if it occurs? Personally speaking, I doubt that is the cause.

I'd check to see if your revs getting too low. There is a real risk of the engine suddenly stalling under ~900rpm when under load. Ours stalls very abruptly too. When we first got the car, it caught me unawares a few times - the engine is relatively quiet, and it may be hard to judge how low the revs have gone.

After that, it may be worthwhile getting a diagnostics run on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Haddonfield

Yeah I turned of start/stop but still happens. Have had a few hairy moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

found the 2013 tiguan, quite easy to stall (well modern diesels in general) especially compared to my old tank of an 05 skoda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Tiguan stop/start is sensitive to battery condition. Battery life is typically six years.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

Dacia duster has same issue, its like engine has no torque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

Maybe, on a quiet road just let it in second gear, it should then motor along at idling speed, then apply light/ medium braking and see does it still maintain the idling speed without cut out.

Can you take off in second gear on a level road?

It struggles to get going in 2nd gear. sometimes it will sometimes it wont.

"Maybe, on a quiet road just let it in second gear, it should then motor along at idling speed, then apply light/ medium braking and see does it still maintain the idling speed without cut out"

9 times out of 10 it will cut out when i try this

Daughter has the same year Diesel Tiguan (non DSG gearbox) and neither she or husband notice(d) anything untowards in any gear, your problem though seems common enough in these models so could be anything. A scan might show up something,

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you stall the car, it will restart when you dip the clutch, so the problem may not be anything to do with the stop-start system.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the battery was bad wouldn’t stop-start just not activate? Ie the engine will keep running.

• Advertisement

The OP said the stop/start is disabled but the car still stalls although also states that it sometimes self starts which it shouldn't do if disabled. I do notice on mine that the engine stops when the car is still rolling at ~ 3 to 4 kms/hr, well before one might expect when stopping at lights etc. it seems to manage the battery state quite well, sometimes after a prolonged period of very short trips, the stop/start will not operate for 1/2 day or so of intermittent driving, car 4.5 years old, time will tell just how good its battery management is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

As far as i remember car should be stopped for engine to cut out and pedal pressing should restart it again.

Yes needs diagnostics read for errors and would ask do people do aggressive driving in those diesels to get a regen going or just simple here to there driving.

Not all the time. Sometimes has to be started manually

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eronayne

Had exactly the same problem on a Seat Tarraco, which is essentially the same car. It took a few weeks to adjust my driving style to it

Found it happening mostly on roundabouts, too fast for first gear, tiny bit slow for second, Found myself feathering the clutch a little to stop it stalling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

At what point does the engine cut using stop/start? Mine only cuts when the car is in neutral and the clutch released. I think.

Press the clutch again and it starts in an instant.

This case sounds subtly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ask your local friendly mechanic to test drive it on the same roundabouts. As them is car faulty. It can take time to get used to a new car.

Many newer cars car will automatically restart car if they cut out. It's not really the start stop system, more a helpful aid if you cut out to get you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Car should not cut out while moving as supposed to stopping at lights.

Did people ever go and get diagnostics read to see what is stored?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Older VW. Didn't have that problem off it cutting out and not starting. But found the stop start quite slow and intrusive. Got into the habit of a quick squirt on the throttle before I needed it to keep it awake. Sounds like types has an issue though.

I certainly don't find it slow in restarting, even with my hand on the gear lever, it will restart instantly once I dip the clutch and before I can get it into gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Why not change to first if too slow for a clean start in second?

O r am I missing something?

I drive 2013 Superb so probably similar engine ( 1.6 diesel) but never had this problem,

Because car is going too slow for 2nd gear and 2 fast for 1st gear. Its at this stage that it cuts out

Have you idea of the engine revs when this is happening and the vehicle speed?

You did say this is occuring with the stop/start disabled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'm pretty sure this is your issue, it was for me. Even yesterday I noticed my wife driving at 1000rpm in 6th - she simply didn't hear the revs going too low.

Possibly something to do with the fuel injection resuming, the injection ceases completely on overrun and resumes, depending on model and whether diesel/petrol at ~ 1000/1200 RPM, 1000 RPM on my petrol Polo, and will not cut off again until the engine RPM are ~ 1300RPM, you can easily monitor this by having the instantaneous fuel consumption selected/displayed, the display will just show a seies of ---- if no injection, just blipping the throttle may help in second gear which will cause the injection to recommence before the RPM fall too low?.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think there is a setting to stop the fuel cut-off during over run. That could solve it if that is the problem. It could be your style of driving.

Alternatively, it could be a servicing problem. Is it a diesel with the cheat fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Is there a gear indicator and prompt on the dash? There is on mine and it will prompt to change down (or not). If it is indicating "2" gear then it should drive away in second.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭User1998

I always find it hard enough to cut out in 2nd gear on VW diesels. If the revs get too low the car usually starts to speed up and gets the revs back up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

When you want to continue on in 2nd gear when the car is moving very slowly, just release the clutch without using accelerator. Then gently apply the accelerator. The engine torque will move the car on initially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Waggle the steering wheel around as you get to slow down at a roundabout,etc, it helps the stop/start system kicking in.

I do this almost second nature now.

Advertisement