Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 9: Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Mainly a snore fest

Sad that no one has to watch a race any more to know who will win. This is dominant on another level even merc at their peak had bad tracks and what not. Led every lap sice lap 42 or Miami and only lost one race in the last 19 this will just be a detrimental to the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Alex Albon has been super impressive all weekend. Some driving to hang onto position.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Cracking drive by Albon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It is a shame he isn't in that second redbull, would love to see what he could do in it now.

• Advertisement

That seat is a curse. Better off staying away from it.

Schumacher wasn't a detriment, neither was Vettel or Hamilton. Why would Max?

Didn't viewership crater towards then end of the ferrari 5 in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

41 of those 100 are from Max, and 31 of those in the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

And vettel and lewis dominance. Took dts to bring it back up that's not gonna work again I think.

Also didn't they all have actual competition either a team mate or someone from another team.

The fantasy that merc or Alonso or Perez will challenge max is well gone, died a few races ago it's a dead championship. People want a fight for first not best of the rest

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jesus adding Newey to that podium is pretty much the who’s who of F1

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

The 4 greats of the F1 grid on the podium!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

11 championships between the drivers, but how many other championships did Newey have a hand in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

1992, 1993, 1994 (Constructors), 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2021, 2022.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Newey-designed cars have led to 11 Constructors titles and 12 Drivers champions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,493 ✭✭✭✭klose

3 different constructors on the podium and 7? different constructors in the points, on paper that's a good look for the sport.

Decent GP all in all

Just watching Albon post race, he has a career in the media ahead of him when his race career ends. Very captivating.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I’d actually love that even if it’s not going to happen. Max has him covered but it would be a lot closer. Perez is on an awful run lately, losing points for the team hand over fist. It’s lucky Stroll is even worse for his team or AM would be a lot closer.

Great drive from Albon.

Nah, that was because RTÉ lost the rights around then 😋 Us Irish were a big loss 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Hulmet is absolutely ruthless so that's probably who Checo has to worry about, he won't take kindly to Checo not performing! I did see that Max wanted to do the RedBull event at the Nurburgring but Helmut wouldn't let him, in fairness knowing Verstappen he'd probably go as hard as possible trying to break the lap record or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Perez really not getting the job done at the minute. How many races can he survive if he is not getting on the podium?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I watched half and walked the dog then ,I haven't looked at the result since,I don't need to, not good for the sport being so predictable,who won ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I really don't understand how after 7 years of utter dominance by one team, we now finally have multiple competitive teams fighting for podiums for the first time since 2012 and lots of great close action every race and people are complaining.

To put the hyperbole into perspective, Mercedes averaged 10 front row lockouts per year between 2014 and 2020. That's not their best, that was just their average. In contrast Red Bull only managed one in the entirety of last year, and only have one this year too. The field is so competitive that it's been 4 races since that car has even made it into Q3 without Max in the cockpit.

Some posters above are saying Perez is underperforming and they should put Albon in the car - the reality is that they Albon had his chance (and you could say he was young at the time, but he's actually a couple of years older than Max so that's no excuse) and he was much further behind than Sergio currently is. I think the reality is that it's really not plain sailing in that car and you need an absolute top tier driver to keep winning races, in contrast to the extreme dominance of most of the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Max winning WDC

Checo picking up enough points to give Red Bull the Constructors and not challenging Max so causes no internal issues.

Red Bull might just be happy with that scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

People are jumping the gun a fair bit but I wouldn’t take too much notice of the recency bias. About 6 weeks ago there were people on the opposite end mentioning Perez’s title challenge. He’s had bad form for spells of each of his seasons with RB. It’s not far off how Bottas was constantly under scrutiny for years.

Waste of time putting Albon (or Ricciardo who was crap last year) in the seat for RB or entertainment. Shot in the dark whether it would improve over Perez, neither is going to give anything near a Hamilton/Rosberg battle for wins, RB will already easily win the constructors and already have multi team battles for podiums.

There’s maybe 3/4 drivers who could match Verstappen (on their day in equal machinery) and none of them is going to be available mid-season for a switch to Max’s team. Doubt RB would want it anyways.

I wonder if someone forgot to pack the black and white flag, because some of those "no further action" decisions deserved at least that. The Hamilton release for one, I said "skin of his teeth" OK at the time and I stand by that but a wave of the black and white flag would have been a good compromise to let him race on. Norris definitely deserved one, there was a need for Albon to brake heavy to avoid a collision. They ended up catching him for building a gap for the double stack during the safety car, calling it "unsportsmanship behaviour", which ironically is the description of a black and white flag offence.

The one that really baffled me was the DeVries Magnussen ruling of no further action. DEV forced another driver off the track (along with himself) and ruined his race. That was super dangerous at this level and I think DeVries should have gotten a hefty haul of penalty points for that.

A poor weekend in the stewards office in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fighting for podiums isn't really going to cut it with fans. No doubt about who will win each race and ultimately the championship.

Red Bull haven't had front row lockouts because Perez isn't very good. Nice guy, average qualifier, a little bit above average racer.

Bottas was a better qualifier than a racer. But perez and Bottas are about he same as a package. Both clear no.2 to a top driver, both have delusions of competing for a championship, both hopelessly outgunned by their teammates.

As long as Red Bull have such a dominant car, I doubt they'll mind perez being about average. They knew how good he is when they signed him and they'll still win both championships. So why rock the boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Perez form has dropped,he he downed tools a bit IF he was told he cant challenge for the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I doubt it. I'd credit him with doing his best and falling well short.

He had some top form earlier in the season but he's just regressed to the mean. He's having poor form now. Overall he's just not a top driver.

People said the same about Vettel whn he had poor form in his last season from mid 2018. Funny enough, they didn't apply the same logic to Bottas because he wasn't as well liked.

Perez is just a no.2 driver doing his best. There isn't a conspiracy or a complicated reason behind it. He's just not a top driver and the difference between him and max is just down to pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭bren2001

Why would they tell Perez he is not allowed compete? He just isn't good enough. If he was, I am sure Red Bull would let him but they are not forcing him to miss out on Q3 etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement