If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiFi setup

Options
  • 11-06-2023 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to treat myself to a HiFi separates setup but don't want to break the bank. I would like a half decent turntable, don't need perfection and have limited vinyl. A tuner/amp like a Marantz NR1200 or similar (I think this is what I need). CD player again half decent. I would like to be able to play old cassette tapes but options seem very limited- any suggestions.

Right now I will be outputting through Sonos Play 5 speakers so no speakers required immediately. Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post mikewest and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

The Marantz is an amazing amp - it has all the inputs you'd need and is also great for streaming via Bluetooth and Wifi. If you're looking to add a CD player to it I would match it with the Marantz CD6007:

For a turntable - for occasional use I think the Denon DP300 would be the best to go for - it has a built in phono stage so can connect to any system, it's automatic and it has a great cartridge/tonearm so gives a great sound:

There is really only one way to add cassettes to the system and this would be with a Teac W1200 but we are completely sold out of them at the moment:

Finally, on the speakers, I would recommend adding a pair of passive speakers to the system as the only input the Sonos Five has is a 3.5mm auxillary input. This would need to run from the audio output on the amp but you bypass the Marantz amp completely and wouldn't be getting the full benefit of the system.

Please let me know if you have any questions though!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Hi, thanks for the reply. I don't really want adding more speakers to the room right now but what are the options on more compact but decent passive speakers (I know, unicorns etc).

Any idea if the Teac cassette deck is coming back in stock?

Also, regards ordering just place it normally via your website?

Thanks for getting back to me mikewest.

We actually have a great deal on the Fyne F300 at the moment - they're pretty compact and sound great. They'd be a good cost effective way to get a good sound from your system that can be upgraded down the line:

We're hoping to see the W1200 back again but we have no ETA for them at the moment.

You can also order via the links for delivery but if you have any issues please don't hesitate to drop me a post.

Kind regards

David

Those little F300's sound brilliant. Thank you

I am asking if the cassette unit Teac W1200 is available? I know it's showing on the website but is it actually available.

Also can you recommend a better room filling speaker solution than the F300's

Sub is also an option.

Approx dimensions of room are 6m X 3.5m with the stereo centred on the long wall. If sub is used it probably needs to be on opposite wall to central hifi unit. Cabling cannot trail over floor, probably 12+ Meters from hifi to sub via skirting and fireplaces etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for getting back to us mikewest.

We are currently completely sold out of the W1200 and I have no ETA for new ones coming back in yet I'm afraid.

On the Fyne F300s - I wouldn't have anything that would be more compact that would be better for filling out a large room. There is a floorstanding version available, the F303 which would give a much bigger sound. They're down in price from £699 to just £199:

Let me know what you think of these!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.