Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Birds

Options
  • 11-06-2023 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi,

I live in a terraced street with a nice long rear garden. I have plenty of greenery and shrubs and attract plenty of birds.

Does anyone have any unusual birds outside the traditional, robin, blackbird, thrush, starling ,dove, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

We have grey crows. They are quite noisy but otherwise ok and interesting. They seem to happily coexist with all the other birds except magpies. The magpies left when the grey crows arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We have buzzards with apparently a nest very close to the garden, they hunt over the garden (rabbits) and adjacent field a lot. Not likely to see them on the bird feeder however. Resident wrens and loads of very stupid bluetits. Also wagtails, chaffinches, goldfinches, other tits and lbjs that I am not very good at identifying. And huge pigeons and lots of corvids. Dratted things eat anything I can grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

We just had a doves next between both house at the front of our terrace. They chose a very unusual spot, but it worked and they had two babies which flew off this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's too many to list. I've had over 50 species in my garden over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭jonnreeks

Nice 1 Jim,

What would have been the most unusual or rare bird you might have seen in the garden so?

• Advertisement

I've had a Dipper and currently have Great Spotted Woodpeckers. In an average week weld have 16 to 18 species.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

Goldcrest were frequent visitors over the last few years and occasionally long tailed tits, I have only seen one Goldcrest this year. Generally the number of birds visiting has dropped dramatically, mainly as there has been a huge increase in cats in the neighbourhood, one neighbour now has three. I hate cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Because Jim didn't give us his full list ;-) and because I've never made one....

Dipper (was daily visitor but not seen for more than a month)

Pied Wagtail

Grey Wagtail

Mallard

Buzzard

Raven

Hooded Crow

Jackdaw (surprisingly uncommon but very common less than half a kilometre away)

Chough (weird - one nests in a neighbours barn)

Magpie

Sparrow Hawk

Pheasant

Racing pigeon (he left this morning, they often get exhausted and drop in to see our birds)

Wood Pidgeon

Collard Dove

Redwing (winter)

Chaffinch

Greenfinch

House Martin

Sand Martin (they nest in the cliffs on the beach)

Spotted Fly Catcher (rare visitor)

Wren

Gold Crest (only in winter on peanuts)

Blue Tit

Great Tit

Long Tailed tit (back this week after long absence)

Gold Finch

House Sparrow

Hedge Sparrow

Bullfinch (very occasionally)

King Fisher (about once every couple of years)

Blackbird

Starling (just back, trying to drink the nectar on Phormium flowers)

Song Thrush

Heron

Cormorant (fishes in river)

Redshank (occasionally flies up river)

Surprisingly few really considering we have rough scrub woodland to one side and about 300m of river bank. I could exaggerate the list a bit by listing all the birds I can see from the bottom of the garden where it meets the sea but that really isn't part of the garden :-0

Wake me up when it's all over.

I hope this Copy works.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can't compete with Jim's list, but I only have a small suburban garden on the outskirts of Bray whereas it looks like he lives a bit more rurally, but at the moment I'm seeing the following on or around our bird feeders...

Goldfinch (lots!)

Greenfinch

Bullfinch

Chaffinch

Siskin

Blue Tit

Great Tit

Robin

Blackbird

Starling

Feral pigeon

Woodpigeon

Collared Dove

Magpie

Jackdaw

At other times of the year we also get ...

Black cap

Redwing

Redpoll

And also get the occasional Sparrowhawk attacking something in the garden, often get Buzzards circling overhead, plus a stray Grey Heron on our neighbour's roof once :)

• Advertisement

Would love to see the Willow Warbler and Read Bunting, but not something that is likely to drop in, although on the super rare list there was a sighting of a Hoopoe not far from here. Another blow in like most of us in this area :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

I downloaded an app for my phone called merlin bird ID. You set it to record and it listens to the birdsong and identifies which birds are singing. Been great over the warm evenings findings out what's there. I had about 15 different birds in a ten minute recording. Everything including a redstart and a lapwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

We have willow warblers on the edge of the garden. There are willows in the next field. Saw a bull finch yesterday. Also great tits, wren, blackbird, thrush, goldfinch, wagtail, swallows, dunnock, tree creeper, robin, wood pudge on, collared dove and hear the cuckoo constantly. I see him on my walks - nesting nearby. Magpies obviously and thee odd seagull. Rural area, lots of trees. In the west so no woodpeckers here yet. Lots of birds - I’ve never seen a greenfinch here.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

@Jim_Hodge That recording is impressive. You must do the bird surveys for bird watch Ireland.

Forgot the chiffchaff

I don't do Birdwatch Ireland surveys but there is a Weekly BTO Garden Birdwatch Survey I do. It's an interesting exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thanks for pointing that app out. 👍👍👍

I just tried this app. Literally stood at the back door and it recognised the sparrows. Also it distinguished tree sparrows from house sparrows. I knew we had tree sparrows as the males have smaller bibs, but I didn't expect it to spot the difference from a cheap phone.

Edit ... It's brilliant ... Picking up a load of birds. Didn't know we had Goldcrests or at least hard to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Great list!

Must say I’m shocked at how infrequently you see hooded crows - they’d easily be a weekly visitor in my garden!!

They are around, and fly over, but rarely come into the garden. Their number are huge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭HorseSea

@mallards I tried out that app Merlin Birds ID yesterday, very impressed, thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

I saw a woodpecker in the garden this morning (Wicklow). The first time I've actually seen one in Ireland. I've often heard them pecking.

• Advertisement

Just looked them up and didn't realise we only have the Greater Spotted Woodpecker as a recent blow in to Ireland? I was used to watching the Green Woodpeckers everyday where I used to live in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

blue tits

robins

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

despite having had the intention to put a list together over the years, i've never done so - but off the top of my head (we've a decent sized suburban garden on the northside of dublin)

wrens, goldcrests, pigeons, blue tits, great tits, blackbirds, sparrowhawk, various gulls, magpies, starlings, sparrows, robins, blackcaps (though i've not seen any in a few years), dunnock (rare), goldfinches (rare), bullfinches (rare), chaffinch, collared dove, jackdaw. at least one of the thrushes, but i've never gotten close enough to tell which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yeah it's weird, been extinct here for hundreds of years until recently.

Ireland was pretty much completely deforested through the 16th and 17th centuries so that probably led to their demise. It was said that once upon a time you could travel from Dublin to Cork without ever touching the ground and it was far quicker to sail around.

Thankfully snakes can't fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭macraignil

Not that unusual but one of the regular visitors to the garden that I find interesting is the pheasant which I caught on a video clip posted here. Lots of the birds already mentioned. Particularly like to see the swallows demonstrating their aerobatic skills at this time of year but could do without the poop they drop from the nest over the back door.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Living in Kilpedder, North East Wicklow, I have noticed some great spotted woodpeckers in recent years. Yesterday morning I pulled back the curtains to see one clinging on to a cordyline tree in the back garden and hammering away. That is the closest I have seen one to the house and it was great to see it in action.

Common Buzzards have become more so here in the past few years and I have seen them swoop down on smaller birds in the garden. In good weather I have seen up to six doing Red Arrow display stunts overhead. I also saw a Jay in the garden once.

I started up a ' birds wot I saw' Excel spreadsheet just this week and the woodpecker is the most exotic entry, for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We have large trees on our boundary, and we appear to have pigeons living in them permanenty.

Rumours are that a local guy kept racing pigeons, but released them all. Not sure if that's true.

They can be quite noisy early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got a question about sparrows.

In these nice evenings, there would often be 20 odd of them all out flying about mad. Are they playing with each other? Or feeding? As I read they catch insects on the wing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement