Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking Fine with wrong reg on ticket

Options
  • 10-06-2023 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

Today I received a parking fine for parking in a loading bay from the Donegal county council on my car. 45EUR

I went to pay the ticket but then I realized that the reg they have on my ticket is wrong by two digits.

My initial thought is, this ticket is now void as the details are incorrect. That I shouldn't be paying for a ticket with the wrong reg.

I'm sure this has happened to many before, hoping somebody can advise on what happens in this situation. Should I just let it sit? Should I appeal it and let them know?

Any advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated

regards

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with disputing a ban on boards.ie. Moved to a forum that's actually related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,549 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do parking wardens now take pictures of the vehicle before issuing a ticket? If they do and it is either disputed or ignored they may reexamine the photos and it might be reissued with the correct reg. this time .

Haven't been in the situation so I can't really say but if you dispute the ticket aren't you implicitly admitting that you were parked in the loading bay?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Any advice on what to do will be greatly appreciated

pay the fine and don't make yourself look like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

The reg was incorrect, but they managed to get the ticket to your address?

(i assume you received the ticket in the post)

If that is the case, they probably have a record of the 'real' reg.

• Advertisement

The clamper that works for one of our property management agents carries solvent, MEK or Acetone with a cup that clamps onto the lock. It dissolves the glue generally in about 15 to 20 minutes. He often puts it on and returns after an hour to inconvenience the person that tampered with the lock further. He also said heat is very effective with dealing with the glue and carries a small blow torch for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

If your car received a ticket with wrong number then don’t do anything as the fine will not be sent you as it’s not your car reg details. They will send reminder to the car reg owner who will then contact them telling them he was never parked in said place .

id presume they will then check the wardens photos or notes they make after issuing a ticket and will realise that he / she made an error and cancel ticket . I wouldn’t pay it .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

we don't know how the ticket was issued, whether it was sent in the post or left under a wiper blade. however, since this is a first post by a new user who has not returned to the thread, it might not be worth expending much more energy on until they return to clarify the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

So what you are saying is that the ticket was issued for a car that is not yours. Why would anyone follow up on that?

Case closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Do not pay it. They got it wrong.

The notice didn't refer to your car.

If they correct and pursue it, you will have to be given opportunity to pay again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Log into site using the data on ticket and it should contain photos of the car and offense date and time .

If its not your car and then you dont pay.

Cheap fine as had to pay 80 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭bmc58

He is far from a fool.I'd go to court and challeng the fine.It is not op's reg and I think the judge would throw it out.

i'm not sure the court is a rubber stamping machine they way you think it is.

the judge could well ask 'did you park in that loading bay' and if the OP said 'yes', the judge might look on them in the way a parent would look on a child who misbehaved and then claimed immunity because the parent shouted the wrong name at them.

i'm not the only one who thinks that if you get caught in the wrong, to claim immunity based on a simple paperwork error is childish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How much time is €45 worth wasting?

Chance taking it to court and it could cost far more in time and money (increased fine and court costs).

The district court can amend a summons. I'd think transposing two adjacent digits of the reg. in a ticket when other evidence showed the OP's car was parked in a loading bay would fall within what the court might amend

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal-law/criminal-trial/summons/

https://www.courts.ie/rules/miscellaneous-matters-si-no-687-2005

Personally, for €45, I don't think it is worth the trouble or risk.

Advertisement