Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the man in a couple always drive?

Options
  • 09-06-2023 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,076 ✭✭✭

When a couple is in the car, why does the man always drive? Just saw a couple switch seats at the airport, she got out of the drivers seat and he took over driving.

I see it with my own sister, very good competent driver who drives hundreds of miles each week, but iv never seen her drive when the husband is in the car.

It's usually men who are cocky bad drivers in my experience anyway.

Post edited by pgj2015 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Your dead right i must get onto my local Social Democrat councillor & organise a protest March in Dublin !

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd say in general men enjoy driving more, woman probably see it as a way of getting from A to B so when it comes down to who drives I would say in most cases the man would put himself forward and say "I don't mind".

I remember they did a study a while back on why men are more likely to drive with one hand on the wheel that women. They theorized that when women drive they are more likely to see themselves as separate from the car they are driving and are simply operating it, whereas men were more likely to feel part of the car itself almost as if it was an extension of themselves which may feed into this.

These are wild generalizations mind but may be some truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

To save time on parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I equally see the female of couples in cars driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I usually, 95% of the time driving when with my wife. The other day, we went down to Sherbrooke, a city an hour and a half away from here to check out some garage/yard sales. I was about to cross a well engaged green light when I saw this woman drive very fast in the red. My wife would have been crushed if hit had I not anticipated it and done my bit of defensive driving.

Not so sure about women and driving skills. I see plenty drive without care and neglecting speed limits in special zones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Driving is a macho activity (you are in control of noisy dangerous machinery) a useful skill and cars are a display of wealth. It's therefore not surprising that men are more into cars/driving than women and that both the male and female partners in a couple prefer it if the man drives.

Also, IME, men who haven't learned to drive by about the age of 25 are seen as pussies by women. I would expect such men to struggle getting dates and partners, Most women do not want to be driving their partner around like they would their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭mulbot

Cars are a display of wealth? WHATTTTTT?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Because nagging and driving at the same time is dangerous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I actually notice the opposite tbh, vast majority of times i see the woman driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My missus gets me to drive so that I have to pay for the fuel. The tight b1tch. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Notmything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Nonsense, I'm a 42 year old male and never bothered with driving and it's never been a problem with getting women. Although it does irritate my current girlfriend a little when I can drink and she can't but its not enough of a reason to get a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So the alloy wheels don't get mangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭touts

I asked my wife this and was told matter of factly that she wants to

1. Keep the milage down on her car.
    2. Reduce the chances of dents in the doors from crowded carparks at weekends.

I don't know if her cold logic horrifies me or turns me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭YellowLead

It’s often because men can’t help being back seat drivers and would drive their female partner mad with their commands and criticisms 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I don't trust my wife driving, and I get stressed out when she parks next to cars in carparks, I try to avoid parking next to any cars in carparks when possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 AxelF84

Quite the opposite with us, the wife does most of the driving as she seems to enjoy it more, I don't really mind who drives, she does feel sick from time to time as a passenger so it just makes sense to have her drive

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Avaya2020

Probably 9 times out of 10 the man knows how to get there . Plus parking , I actually feel sick when my other half tries to back in to a space . Amount of times she has a panic attack when she can't then we have to switch seats 😕 then it's my fault because I wasn't looking at her to back in ..... too much drama

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Me and me moth share the burden if we go away for weekend etc.

I prefer being a passenger, seems I'm alone with this.

I dont know about that.

To this day, two of my brothers have never learned to drive (one age 40 the other mid fifties) and neither of them ever had a struggle getting dates.

And their partners drove

The day I bought my very first car another brother offered to reverse it into the driveway for me. He was showing off because he knew I was still learning. He reversed straight into an iron gate post and ripped a 12 inch hole in the passenger door. I never let him behind the wheel of any car I owned ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭thegame983

Usually its the person who owns the car in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

My wife is a good driver, my mother is the worst driver ever to get behind a wheel ( I’m in a state of terror if I ever sit in with her)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭windowcills

I always try to drive her, wife does a lot of stuff that i couldnt do, (she is great with making sure kids have homework done correctly, and has play dates), so i am forever trying to return the favour

She is also better at navigating, so can tell me where to turn, i would not be able to help her

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I never let my missus drive, I value my own safety too much

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

That's how it is in my case. She drives us back if I had a couple of scoops but generally I drive. If she drove to pick me up then we don't bother switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭NSAman

I'm in the Midwest, here it is the reverse. The woman drives!

Not me, prefer driving ..... not that herself is unsafe.

Always find it weird here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Because there are more opportunities to criticise the man if he is driving rather than just sitting there. I'd be pissed off if I hadn't enough opportunities to bitch about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Advertisement