Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky V Eir V Vodafone

Options
  • 09-06-2023 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am with eir for last 2 years for broadband and tv. Have main tv Apple box in sitting room and another Apple box in bedroom. Box in bedroom is handy, works via WiFi so no messing around with running cables/wires etc

eir bill is 82 Euro a month and will jump once contract ends next week but can get them down again with a phone call.

I am half thinking of switching to sky or Vodafone (Virgin not available)

rang sky and they can give a sky q box for main room and sky q mini for the bedroom, prices for year 1 seem ok versus eir

any comments on sky q or q mini.

or anyone with experience of eir v sky v Vodafone for tv and broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭rhinosaurious

Whatever you do, do not go with Vodafone. Vodafone TV never works, search on twitter @VodafoneIreland TV, and you'll see the culprit. I think stay with eir, if it's not broken don't fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

What are the boot up times like on sky q?

I was with sky before and had a sky+hd box (I think that was the name) and it used to take forever to start up, like 3+ minutes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It takes forever, yes. Never timed it but guesstimate it was about two minutes.

Sky’s position FWIW is that shouldn’t matter, you are meant to keep it plugged in the whole time and only reboot it in rare circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Out of interest why would someone need to boot up their Sky box regularly? We have had Sky Boxes over the years and just turn off the box each night with the remote control, don't unplug it or anything. Just takes less than 20 secs to turn on again the next morning.

• Advertisement

My default every night is just to simply switch off the power by flicking the switch beside the plug, it’s just what I do.

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I was with Sky for many years but left it as the cost was getting so high. I used FTA for a few years but moved to Eir, when we were moving house. I really like the AppleTV box and the freedom to place the TV anywhere. I use NowTV for sports and Netflix for entertainment. Each TV is set so that eirTV starts automatically when the TV is turned on.

I use Spotify on the AppleTV to listen to music. (The main TV is connected to a Sonos soundbar and subwoofer.)

My only gripe is that some shows, mainly on RTÉ, are protected and cannot be recorded. Also recordings are automatically deleted after six months. I've just bought a satellite dish to get FTA TV as a supplement to eirTV to get around this. (I like to keep permanent copies of some programmes.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

When joining eir, do you get an Apple TV by default?

And when eventually cancelling eir; do you have to give them the Apple TV back?

I got an Apple TV box by default with eir (2 of them as one in bedroom also)

I am not sure if I am allowed to keep them though if I end my contract.

My recollection is that, at least when eir TV launched, you were allowed keep them after two years, otherwise you had to pay some sort of exit fee to keep them.

They are off the shelf Apple TV’s (though I think you get a different remote now) and have plenty of use beyond eir tv.

• Advertisement

There is a charge if you don't return them, €50 if I remember correctly.

If I was to go with sky for broadband and tv.

I think I get 3 things;

1. the modem which connects to the fibre internet connection.

2. main sky q box which connects to the sky dish and maybe to modem via WiFi

3. Sky q mini box in bedroom which connects to modem and/or main sky q box via WiFi

can the main sky q box and sky q mini act as wireless or as a mesh or are they purely just tv set top boxes only?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

If you go with Sky I wouldn’t bother with multiroom , you can simply install SkyGo on your Apple TV and use your Sky ID to login .

You have to have Multiscreen/Whole House entitlement to use Sky Go on an Apple TV.

In a word, yes. But the Sky Go service is only available to Sky subscribers in any case, so you’ll already be paying Sky money.

From searching online it would appear that the Sky Q box connects with the minis using a private wifi 5GHz network. With multiple minis it appears that they create a private mesh network. There are reports that this can conflict with other 5GHz mesh networks, if present.

Hope this helps, I've no firsthand knowledge.

I currently have amazon prime video etc

If I was to keep the apple box from eir, I presume I could just use it to view Amzon prime?

• Advertisement

It’s a normal Apple TV - you can watch any tvOS apps - not just Prime Video, but Netflix, Disney+, Paramount+, Discovery+ etc.

Nice one. Is anybody aware if one can keep the Apple TV box after being with eir for 2 years?

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Yes you could , you could also put whatever apps you like onto it , IPVX is very good if you have an IPTV subscription but that cannot be discussed here .

If you are watching live tv on the sky q box and want to rewind, will it rewind?

Yes, except for manually tuned channels and the very odd programme where the PVR features are disabled for rights reasons.

Nice. eir does not allow me rewind live tv.

do sky store/buffer a certain amount of live tv to allow this.

Up to one hour, I think, unless you’ve been recording the programme in question. You can’t go back beyond the point you last changed the channel.

if I was to go with sky, would I be able to use my sky go login on the Apple TV box - to watch sky tv in an additional room.

Post edited by obi604 on

Yes, but you’ll need to have a Multiscreen sub. (This applies only to Apple TV, not to other devices, provided you stay under the limit).

• Advertisement

who is this multi screen sub with - Sky is it?

how much is it roughly per month

Advertisement