Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating pond in front of period property

Options
  • 08-06-2023 5:29pm

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for pond size and shape/design in large grassed front of old Georgian House. I'd like to incorporate flower beds on some symmetrical plan around the pond. I'm guessing there's a design appropriate to the period.

The house is detached five-bay two-storey over part raised basement country house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,156 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe someone here has a pond in the style you are looking for, but I would suggest that you do a bit of research on Georgian gardens so you understand the general style, then incorporate a pond.

I would imagine a square or rectangular pond placed centrally to the house with formal stone slab paving overhanging the water slightly, then a path, then flowerbeds. With a fountain, I think. But what I know about Georgian gardens would not fill a postcard much less a book, so take that with a pinch of salt!

Advertisement