Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Unchained (Netflix)

Options
  • 08-06-2023 2:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone checked it out yet? I've watched the first few episodes. Not bad so far. Room still gets dusty for "I'm just a farmer's son from Belgium" and there is quite a bit of emotion in it. Not having access to UAE means Pogacar appears as a kind of mythical creature looming over the race. I'll say more when I finish. So far so decent but ultimately I'm more curious how a non-cycling fan might find it. Will the tactics make sense? Will it get people watching the sport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Watched the first couple episodes, it’s very well done. And kept very ‘simple’ like the Formula 1 series, in that they don’t go too in-depth into tactics and the different types of stages etc at the start.

I don’t think it’ll have the same effect as the F1 series in terms of numbers watching it and getting interested in the sport, primarily because it’s a French series with some English sprinkled in, and apparently the dubbing is quite poor (have been watching with subtitles myself). Lot of people won’t bother watching stuff with subtitles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Only just watched the first episode, the managed to make the god-awful bridge stage in Denmark seem exciting, so good start! Stage 3 seems to have got no coverage at all, maybe because I have no memory of it either

Orla from Eurosport seems to have a prominent role as one of the talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Fwiw this is on Tg4 player. The book was a fantastic read.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/player/play/?pid=6328596745112&title=Slaying%20The%20Badger&series=Slaying%20The%20Badger&genre=Faisneis&pcode=619900

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Does drive to survive insert that fake audio for various things? The crashes seem to have been enhanced audio wise, close ups of riders struggling with heavy breathing audio inserted and when a rider grabs a musette you hear a thunk etc. Not that bad but noticeable. I suppose it's modern documentary 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just watched Episode 1. Very slick and well made. Looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Birka

I've just watched episode one. It's enjoyable but I found the combination of subtitles and fast moving content hard going. The introduction has a lot of fast changing content and its hard to take in everything and read the subtitles at the same time.

The Least Expected Day is much better paced in that regard but I'll stick with this and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Just regard it as a the same type of advertorial as Drive to Survive and you won't go far wrong. No dirty laundry,, fake race commentary and sound effects, team bosses all determined to be the star.

I think The Least Expected Day is better as Movistar don't appear to have any reservations about depicting the entir team, top to bottom, as an utter shambles.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Fake commentary is true. Combined with poor subtitles it does fail badly on occasion. There is an episode about the fight for the podium (3rd) between Gaudu and Thomas and many of the team guys are obviously saying we want to get on the podium but the subtitles keep saying 'Podium Win' then the french commentary over the start of whatever stage says "now we see who can get the podium win". As if commentators would be doing anything other than discussing the fight between Pog and Ving at this point (Gaudu involved or not).

I still hadn't seen S3 of the The Least Expected Day, forgot about it altogether when it intially came out on Spanish Netflix, but noticed that it was available on our Netflix yesterday after watching a few eps of the TDF unchained last night.

Watched the first episode of S3, it is comical, forgot how ridiculous a team they are. Token piece on AVV and her success? Endless fawning over Bala? Valiant effort in the break but ultimately finishing 2nd? Endless 'Vamos, Venga, Vamos' from the team car? Riders doing their own thing and everything going to crap immediately?

Check, check, check, check and check!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

Orla is definitely there to explain the basics to non fans... She pops up to explain certain elements, like why it wasn't cool for van aert to drop vinnegard when they'd opened up a gap on POG on stage 4.... She's the perfect choice for that role I think. Knowledgeable but casual vibe.

The bridge segment was excellent.. I remember the bridge being built up and hyped during the actual stage but then turning out to be a bit of a non event. They actually made it seem pretty exciting.

• Advertisement

Since this is about something specific I'll spoiler it.

They left out Pog's fall and Jonas waiting for him. Bizarre moment to skip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The funny thing is, I suspect most of Movistar believe they came out looking good 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭dahat

EP3 with FDJ & AG2R was an excellent watch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Binge watched yesterday..excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Absolutely class episode. Really, really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Just started this last night and watched the first 2 episodes. I think it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,390 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Weird how they don't even mention what happened on the skipped stages and made a terrible choice to only have Orla as a talking head and cut out those legs 🤣

Just about to watch episode 3 now which is about Tibo so gonna try my best not to cry.

Also for anyone who likes this there is a series of Ronde documentaries on YouTube shot from inside the team cars. Covers Ronde 100 to 104 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Those Tattoos!!! Anyone that obsessed has a problem IMO!

He is lucky he only the AG2R boss. If he worked for Quickstep he would have victories tattooed all the way down to his toes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Started watching this tonight, just finished episode 3 and it's already intense, those lads couldn't catch a break. Torn muscle, other lad getting hit in the face. Multiple crashes each then having to ride at an elite level for 5 hours!

Just watched the Alpecin episode. Jeysus their backroom lads look like an awful bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

My wife who isn't into cycling at all has been watching the series with me and is really enjoying it. Both of us were convinced that there's something a bit off with that lad though.

Really good episode and time flying is by when watching the series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any mention of doping in it?

Vaughters briefly mentions his colourful history but there is no discussion of the colourful history of the sport as a whole.

It's a review of the 2022 Tour which didn't have any doping controversy so no.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

watched all the episodes - enjoyed it. the producers had to bring out stories to hook the audience, such as the jumbo one of van aert not wanting to wait for Vingegaaard. In reality I wonder was this such a big deal in the team.

7 out of 10 for me although i could do with seeing a lot less of Marc Madiot, I actually started to feel sorry for his riders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Other than Quintana being scrubbed from the race results due to his "banned, but not really" use of tramadol, and Bahrain having their hotel raided at the Grand Depart.

But even if there were some "full-fat" doping issues at the race, I don't think the Netflix series is where I'd be looking for critical commentary on the matter.

I forgot that raid was at this TdF feels like it was 2 years ago.

Ya much better stuff than Netflix for the big issues. I spotted a new book about Valverde and Spanish cycling which seems to be a critical analysis. Couldn't give a flick through as the bookshop was closed.

• Advertisement

Context is a good thing and historical doping and where things are at now would give a sense of where the sport is now as we begin the TDF 2022. I would have liked a bit more history, never mind doping, so the newbie can appreciate the significance of winning a Stage, GC, winning on an iconic climb like Alpe d'Huez etc. The history of the Sport, it's Monuments and Grand Tours is genuinely fascinating imo. I probably said it when this was first announced but I would prefer a series that looks at a whole season. It would have to be more than 8 episodes but so be it. 2 episodes on winter prep. and planning along with the spring classics, 3 episodes on the Giro, 3 on the TDF and 2 on the Vuelta and Lombardia.

Advertisement