Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping my plants alive...

Options
  • 07-06-2023 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

Finally got the patio done and starting to look at what plants to add... I'm doing it incrementally. It's a new build, so just turned it from a waterlogged lawn to a seating area (seats yet to arrive).

1. I think the pot for the climber is way too small... will one double the length be any good? (added after overall photo taken). I'm relying on this to bring some life to the back wall...
    2. The red Maple at the back is leaking yellow water all over the paving... Will a tray retain it or do I just move it somewhere else
    3. How much water should I give them every night?
    4. Next step may be to add a wild flow bed south of these photos... its not a big garden, but would be nice to get some life into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,073 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have never had any luck growing climbers in pots. If you do want to try it you need something at least 3 times as deep and wide.

You could put a tray under the maple, but you could easily drown it in winter/a rainy spell. How it it getting water onto the paving, its on gravel?

How much you water them depends on conditions. The compost usually needs to just dry out a bit before watering again. If it is damp on top it doesn't need watering. If it dries out completely it is difficult to get it damp again and water will just run through the pot. Stand it (temporarily) in a tray to give it chance to soak up water, but be careful in wet weather that it doesn't get overwet. A really good soak once or twice a week is better than a dribble every day. Mulch on top of the pot is a good help.

I would hesitate to put wildflowers in that kind of garden. You have a display for a few weeks then it looks untidy for the rest of the time. This does not matter in a large garden but would not improve your area. Look out some relaxed looking perennials to plant that will give a long succession of flowering and the bees will be just as happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Thanks, that's very helpful! Interesting comment on the wild flowers, I'll have a look at what else I can put in.

The maple in question is the one on the far right... it's sitting on the pavers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Is the climber pot sitting on gravel? If so I'd be more inclined to dig down and plant it in the ground, it will never do in that size pot and in fact no matter what size it will struggle, would be much better with roots in ground. I have a reasonably successful honeysuckle in a big pot at the moment, it's the only thing that has survived well, all clematis were very poor performers because I imagine roots too hot. Jasmine is doing fairly good in another container at the moment but lots of watering required.

Agree with wild flower comments above, a wild flower garden actually requires quite a bit of maintenance, they are not easy to keep looking good or returning year after year. A few good flowering plants will keep the bees happy, I like perennial geraniums as they come back year after year with no hassle, just need a tidy up when they die down over winter and there is a good selection of colours, small flowering hebe good choice too. You can also get dwarf buddleia (butterfly bush) which is nice in ground or pot and obviously attracts butterflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭phormium

Unfortunate so, much much bigger planter needed if you want to grow a climber and if that's clematis it will struggle with the heat on it's roots no matter what size.

• Advertisement

What is the aspect of those walls. Is the maple facing south? In which case the other pots are in total shade and probably won't be happy. The maple would do better in a bit of shade. Where the sun and shade falls is vital to whether your plants survive. (I didn't notice that maple pic).

Completely agree about the climber if it is a clematis, clematis roots like to be underground with a slab or similar over them to keep them cool. Very little chance of it surviving in a pot.

Tell us the direction the walls face and what the plants are on the left and we can help maybe move them to better positions. If you like, which walls have full sun morning, midday, evening. Are any in permanent shade (including from the house).

Plants in pots like that need a good bit of nursing, you could mind them carefully then go on holiday for a week and lose them.

The garden is North East facing... so the sun shines on the left (where the three maples are) in the morning and right in the evening (bbq side)... That main photo is taken at about 5.30, sun will be gone completely by 8. The varieties of Maple were selected for their suitability, wanting shade mostly...

Yes that's good for maples, its hard to tell with the sunshine and not knowing the time of day of the photo.

The photo was taken at 5.30... all corners of the garden get sun at some stage of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭notAMember

You have a lovely sun trap there, but it is also inhospitable to plant life, as you have completely blocked access to drainage and soil. Is it possible to create breaks in the gravel or by the wall for planting climbers or other plants? I'd also consider moving those acers out of the pots, and into beds where you have grass. The pots look far too small for them, thinking of their potential future size.

Pots are very hard to maintain this kind of plant in, as they dry out, limit root growth etc. Succulents and annuals is all I put in pots.

• Advertisement

Damnit! Ill have to find a way to have something on the back wall...

You could grow something like sweet peas. They are annuals so you would have to start again each year but they are quite interesting and rewarding to grow and smell gorgeous. If you put up some good quality trellis that would look good even without things growing on it, you could grow the sweet peas in the late spring/summer/early autumn and leave the trellis bare in the winter. You could hook on a few hang-on containers and grow pansy/violas and maybe some bulbs in the winter and early spring till the sweet peas are ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If you want to be insect friendly, try planting some catmint - it has lovely blue flowers, and the bees/butterflies are absolutely mad about it.

Agree also about the sweet peas, they're amazing. I have some planted and they're coming up for the 3rd year in a row all by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

An irrigation system might be useful to keep the pots watered. I got a good one with timer from ‘The Garden Shop’ saves a lot of hassle and my pots look far better since they’re consistently watered this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I noticed an interesting thing about my catmint, I’ve had 3 different varieties over the years, Cataria, walker’s low and six hills giant. The last 2 are sterile so don’t produce seeds.

I noticed that pollinators much preferred the cataria version and don’t show the other two half the same attention. Much to my annoyance as I’ve replaced almost all the cataria and only realised afterwards unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Your clematis looks like it could be "Countess of Wessex". If it is, then you certainly can grow it in the planter. Ours is in a hole in the ground no bigger than your planter, and surrounded by stone/concrete. It's a slow grower compared to other varieties, it's 3 years old and has only around a 3 foot spread (which is ideal for us). In other words it won't cover your wall. It likes full sun but the base needs to be protected from direct sunlight, as someone else said. It's early flowering and in full bloom now, but will have far fewer flowers next month. Snails love it so you'll need to pick these off to protect the flowers/buds.

We also have a couple of acers growing reasonably well in pots and the shady spot in your garden looks ideal. Water them every couple of days until they're established. Then once a week should be fine. They will grow bigger and won't like to rub up against your fence in the wind. You'll need to move them further from the fence towards your patio slabs in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's an interesting observation, and while still the subject of debate it would make sense that sterile plants would produce, or at least learn over time to, less nectar to attract pollinators because they don't need too.

Thanks for all the responses, I've a new large pot on the way to see if I can get a climber to take... If not I'll figure something out. The maples seem to be doing alright & the leaky one seems okay now with a tray... There's a wee bit of trial and error, but it'll all get there soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alexago

Maybe dracaenas? These plants will enjoy vacationing outdoors in the spring and summer. And they look nice. You can place them in partial sun. And it is better to prevent heat stress by using light-colored pots that don't trap or absorb heat.

What else I like about dracaenas is that they don't require much care and various types can look similar or different, so you can mix them. You can check this list to find out more. I have several at home, but indoors. Though I plan to place several outsides when we finally finish the patio repair.

Post edited by alexago on

• Advertisement
Advertisement