Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Garden Floodlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, I've said this here before but with LED lights you really get what you pay for. Low cost lamps have low-cost power circuitry, low-cost LED's and low-cost enclosures. Going for a mid-range lamp is generally better, but you can still encounter some burn-outs, but it's less-so these days as LED lamps have become the standard and the poorer designs have been weeded out in the mid-range. If the light fixture is going to be placed high up then go for a slightly better model again as you want to minimise the chance of it blowing and having you climb that ladder again.

I've used Ansell in the past around the house, I had one go on me and I have the replacement Ansell lined up to be installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

thanks for that 10-10 great help.

i guess i now just have to figure our which are the brands to look at and the brands to avoid

i wouldn't know if i'm looking at a piece of junk with a hefty price tag...

what's the thoughts so on the LAP Weyburn one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I tend to buy these type of thing on Amazon as the reviews and rating are there to see.

It's nothing fancy, it should be fine.

If you want a recommendation of a sold performer, drop into an electrical wholesalers of a quiet evening and see what they tell you. 👍️

• Advertisement

Yeah, hit-and-miss.

Go for the LAP and we'll see if you're back looking for advice within 5 years. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

LAP is a rubbish Screwfix own brand. I would never choose to fit it.

Steinel is a top quality brand for floodlights (but with a pricetag to match). Collingwood and Robus can be got for reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mountain

Thanks for that, I’ll check them out.

any thoughts on V-Tac? They some with Samsung led’s so think they might be decent?

Also wondering about getting PIR sensor separate or built into the light, what are thoughts on this? Guess I could link the 2 lights (they are close by) to the one PIR sensor and would imagine that wouldn’t have to be replaced every time I get new lights then, ie cheaper lights

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I would use pir LED lights not a separate pir . You get better coverage that way

Also less wiring

• Advertisement
Advertisement