Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best non plug in hybrid

Options
  • 06-06-2023 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Thinking of getting a non plug in hybrid to save some money on the school runs and local small journeys

can’t get a plug in due to my housing situation so I’ve been looking at “mild” and non plug in hybrids.

im looking to spend up to €25k and looking for something that may save me on a bit of fuel.

looking for good mileage per tank so if anyone can recommend.

so far been looking at:

Honda Vezel

Toyota ch r

ford puma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭coolbeans

If you're looking to save money just keep current car. Spending 25k to save pennies in petrol makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Buy an efficient petrol and pocket the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mild hybrids is a lie, they basically save zero fuel.

I'm terms of short runs most cars are not very fuel efficient on short trips.

Any small petrol non hybrid or hybrid should work for you but don't expect to save on fuel. Don't pay big money if not using car much. Try to shop around for value by checking prices and mileage etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you don’t plug it in. It runs solely on Petrol or Diesel. Don’t be fooled by advertising.

Just get an efficient petrol car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I have driven a honda 1.5 insight hybrid, 50 mpg, cheap plastic feel and it felt under powered,

a lexus ct 1.8 hybrid 50+ mpg, lovely car,

Never drove a mild hybrid, my experience is a hybrid gave much the same economy as a diesel, without dpf problems or addblue,

its generally accepted that Japanese cars are bullet proof, to maximize fuel economy you need to change your driving style,

A nice steady acceleration and one foot driving after that, just glide along.

What I like about them was the automatic gearbox and driving through urban areas on battery and at a traffic light your car is silent and you hear all the tractors and efficient engines rattling away.

Of your choices, I think the nicest looking car is the Toyota chr, but I believe head room is not great in the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

I (don't) love the Totota advertising I am being bombarded with every time I turn on the radio along the lines of " Mary used 55% electric driving without ever having to plug in on her school run"..

What they forgot to tell her was that for the 45% of the time the engine was running it was probably using twice the amount of petrol..😉

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭electricus

I drove a Prius for a couple of years and found it better on petrol compared to similar size petrol cars, especially for medium and longer journeys which were comparable with my previous diesel for efficiency, but with less noxious emissions.

The electric motor works best in traffic for saving fuel and emissions. The exception is for repeated short drives in winter which need the engine to heat up and clear the windows each time.

Overall, it was a nice quiet and comfortable drive, quick from the lights, but not particularly exciting. Based on conversations, plug-in hybrids are only better if you can charge every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭eagerv

We had a Prius for 9 years and loved it. Was efficient and pleasant to drive, encouraged you to eek out good economy. But whenever the battery was charging the fuel usage shot up. Used to like the way energy was recovered when descending a hill, but unfortunately you have to go back up them again.. (But better than a standard ice in this respect).

Was also a low depreciating car, we bought as a dealership car at 1 year old and only cost about 1.5k per annum, at a time when most similar sized cars depreciated much more than this.

Advertisement