Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity to shed & patio

Options
  • 06-06-2023 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭

I recently built a shed/workshop/mancave at the back of my garden and alongside it is a new patio area. We used to have a socket and light in the old shed which was run off a spur in the kitchen. I understand the correct way to do it though is to run a cable directly from the main fuse board to a secondary fuse board in the shed. This will be the preferred option. I'm pretty handy with DIY and want to do this job myself, but before everyone gets their nickers in a twist, I want to clarify that I will be engaging an electrician to wire everything back to the main fuse board and to sign off on the job. So first of all, if there is any electrician in D15 area who wants a bit of work, drop me a pm.

This project realistically wont start till mid July as I'll be busy for next few weeks but I want to start planning.

So what have we got to worry about? Not a lot really, as it's a small 3*4 meter timber frame structure with proper foundations. I've insulated it with xtratherm type board and it has insulated roof panels. I will plasterboard it at some stage down the road. I will have a small fridge/freezer in there, run some power/gardening tools/charging etc, a tv and a computer (won't all be running at once obviously). Will need lights inside and outside along with outside power at patio area.

So I will need;

A small fuse board

probably 4 double sockets in shed (one in each corner)

2 sockets on outside wall of shed at opposite corners

1 (possibly 2 sockets) @ patio area for heaters.

2 ceiling lights (thinking led batons like this) inside shed, one at front and other at back

2 outside lights, one front and one side @ patio area

a rope light like this run around shed & fence

So boardsies this is where I'm looking for your advice and opinions please.

I think 2.5 twin and earth cable is good for nearly everything as the cables will be within the walls of the shed even for the outside wall mounted sockets and lights. Or should I go with 1.5 for the lights? Outside lights will probably be a PIR LED floodlight at front of shed and something more cosy beside the patio area. I know outside backdoor light has 2.5 cable

For the patio socket, the plan would be to take a spur off the outer back wall of shed socket and run in around the fence (about 3 meters). Would 2.5 twin and earth suffice if encased in either a plastic or metal housing? or would it have to be SWA? Thinking about ease of bending the cable here as it will require a bit.

SWA armoured cable from the house to shed. I'll be leaving this to the electrician anyway but curious as to whether this can be wall/fence mounted (even happy to further encase it in pipe) or does it have to be buried (because that would be a bloody nightmare) ?

I've no idea about fuse boards so again would probably be leaving this to the sparks but am thinking some sort of 4 way unit like this with an isolator switch for each indoor lights, outdoor lights, indoor sockets, outdoor sockets.

I've noticed there are quite a few different option regarding outdoor sockets and some are considerably more expensive than others. Any reasons or tips as to why a cheap one like this would not be good enough?

I have some probably unconventional ideas that I would like opinions on please.

For handiness purposes to have light switch like this on the outside for lights. But maybe another switch further back the line which would be inside. Meaning I would be able to have them turned off so people can't mess with them without going into shed.

A similar switch inside to turn off the outside sockets.

The rope lights that I can find all seem to be plug operated. I would rather a set that work off a light switch but they all seem to require a transformer plug. So I would prefer to feed the cable into the shed rather than using the outdoor socket. Then I would like to leave it plugged in with basically a light switch further back up the line (which I would mount outside like above one)

I know with the likes of hardwired things like the oven in the kitchen you have a fused isolator switch so I guess I'm wondering if it is ok and possible to do similar with something actually plugged in rather than hardwired and would it have to be a fused switch or would a standard light switch suffice?

I think that's enough for now, so hoping some of you can please offer some good tips and advice

Comments

Advertisement