Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera

Options
  • 04-06-2023 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭

I was in cotters yesterday pricing up new gear as my own stuff is due replacement fairly shortly.

while there I mentioned that I wanted a camera for my helmet and the guy there said not to do it as it changes the impact point. A fair argument when you think about it.

he suggested getting a fixed camera for the bike. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

I don't have a camera for the bike, but i really like the footage you get from the insta 360 stuff. I like the idea of being able to review every angle from a ride, not just where you were looking! Big downside is the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've the 360 video they're great but you've to position them right as if you're using a lens protector the stitching needs a bit more room around it to as not to warp the video at the seam.

Only issue I've got is sharing it. YouTube destroys the quality of 360 videos, the actual file I can make you the detail in the road for a good distance but you tube algorithm has it like a circle on the ground of good clarity and then a very obvious change to a bland grey/black with no detail.

I've got a long pole for it too but not used that yet but the 360 can remove the handles and poles from the video so it looks like you've a drone trailing you at speed or you've got a real life version of GTA.

I've the insta360 X2, there's the X3 now and if you want to spend over a grand there's a even better one.

If you edit the 360 video to a normal perspective like being a camera man after the fact then the quality is fine, it's just actual 360 video that Youtube **** with.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

my suggestion is just because a guy works in a bike shop does not make him an expert.

theres a lot more nuance to helmet mounted devices than " it changes the impact point", get one if you want.

Ive a sena all in one yoke for the last 4 years batterys gone to **** so I hard wired a small powerbank to it. Ive to crashed with it yet so cant say how unsafe it is. But they guy must have collected alot of data to come out with complete statements like that?

Ive a Innov K5 as well, pricey but good. tried a chinese yoke of ebay years ago. pile of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have a helmet cam for hte last 5 years. Believe me, if you/it hits anything it's going to shear right off. Even the mounts is 'just' self adhesive tape. Buy what you like/afford.

The advantage of the helmet cam is if you have more than one bike, you always have it what ever you're riding.

The INNOV bike cams seem to be well thought of for bike-mounted ones.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I think a lot of the helmet stuff came out after Schumacher’s crash, but his helmet was a bike style one and the camera was lashed to it through the cuts in the helmet so it wasn't going anyway in a crash.

Normal plastic mount glued on to helmet is probably fine if coming from a decent brand where it isn't a very strong glue or any metal

There are a few mounts that tie in and around the lower chin of the helmet, those I wouldn't trust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement