Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigs alone

Options
  • 03-06-2023 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭

I am a very independent person, I live alone, I travel alone ( I do also go away with others, I just don't wait for someone else if I want to go myself,I go )

I go to the cinema and to dinner alone etc.....

I find gigs alone very hard though, on occasion I have bought 2 tickets & brought a friend, but this is not a great idea, I learned my lesson for a Tom Petty gig, the person I brought wasn't a fan and just got drunk, and was very annoying!

How many of ye would go alone, and what advise would.you give? I'm female btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've been (mostly) going to gigs, theatre, cinema by myself for decades. I've the best friends and family I could ask for, genuinely am blessed with them.

But aside from having different tastes, we all have busy lives and if I was waiting for someone to accompany me, I'd never go anywhere! Not to mention expense, we all have different salaries, budgets etc...

I couldn't be bothered drinking alcohol at gigs, so I always drive myself so there's no issue. And a few times I've been incredibly lucky to get a front row seat because I've only needed one ticket, win win!

Just go for it! What's so different about gigs versus cinema etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I go to gigs on my tod sometimes, have gone to festivals alone, I'm all for it. People who find that weird I find are generally just not music fans. Every gig I go to has people there alone. That's the beauty of great live music, you feel part of something, you don't really need to be there with other people to feel that. I'd never let the lack of a partner in crime stop me going to something I really want to see. Granted, it's probably more of a thing for blokes. I'd hate to think it was different for women.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yeah I don't have any issue going to the cinema or theatre alone, theatre in particular I love going alone, because I usually get a really good seat last minute!

I dunno, maybe it's the drinking culture at a gig makes me feel a bit odd when I'm alone....There are so many gigs this year i would love to go to......

Maybe I'll try one to see how i get on, would love to hear from single female gig goers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rainagain

Pre lock down years I went to 30 - 35 gigs a year and at least half were on my own. I much prefer it, whether it's the Workman's or Academy, Whelan's or the point - I can be towards the front, can be there to see the opening bands and I find usually there's less talking from the people around me when the bands are playing. I used to get a pint on arrival and that was it, but now I don't bother. Last year I moved to Switzerland and I've been to a few concerts here on my own too.

I've gone solo to Belfast, Edinburgh, Cardiff and London to see my favourite artists. I'm in Facebook fan groups for a few bands and sometimes meet up with others before the gig for a pint, when there's something organised. Never had any hassle from fellas at a gig, sometimes bit of banter with the people beside me. Also had the stranger beside me hug me when I was in tears at a song that reminded me of a friend who died. The audience at punk shows in particular are great.

The main reason I love going on my own is that I don't have to compromise - I can be up the front, no pressure to drink and I can go straight home. No one to distract me from thoroughly enjoying myself! I highly recommend giving it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The main reason I love going on my own is that I don't have to compromise - I can be up the front, no pressure to drink and I can go straight home. No one to distract me from thoroughly enjoying myself! I highly recommend giving it a try.

This is the most beautiful part of the whole thing, the band comes on, you're 20 feet away, you don't have to worry about anyone wanting you to go for a pint, or asking you to go to the smoking area, or the overprotective boyfriend rowing with anyone who has the nerve to come near his precious flower even though they're in the pit at a slipknot concert.

Filling the gap between support and main can be boring, but if you allow yourself to get sucked in, solo gigs are amazing.

• Advertisement

This is brilliant, great to hear it, like I said I go anywhere on my own, gigs are the one thing I'm hesitant about, great to hear about other solo attendees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I haven't gone through my Setlist records, but in recent years, I probably went to most gigs on my own. Olympia/Vicar Street level, 3Arena, even outdoor shows. I agree with rainagain. You can operate on your own terms. Get there early and queue to be up the front, if that's what you want. I was on my own for two of the three recent Springsteen gigs. Perfectly content.

Edit: I think I've gone to 25 gigs on my own in the last twelve months. I went to several more with other people, but the majority were solo efforts, including driving to Cork for Elton John.

Post edited by delbertgrady on

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

After missing Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine in quick succession in 1990 i realised that if i wanted to see bands i loved or were curious about i would have to go on my own. It's probably only in the past 5 years that i've made gig buddies and i know they will likely be at the same gigs as me. I know feck all about their lives in general but we share the music. Before that, it never bothered me going to gigs on my own, and i estimate 95% in 30 odd years were solo missions! The music was all that mattered. Wasn't interested in pints or hook ups yada yada yada....just the tunes. I'm male though so may be it's a different experience. Basically, if it's someone you want to see to see just go. You'll likely never regret going.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

I’d rather go alone then go with a conversationalist 😂😂😂stfu like till after the show

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Galaxy00

Going to the cinema, and dinner alone, no problem 👌 however going to gigs, and travelling alone is another thing. I actually find the latter most annoying, i would love to go to so many places but my friends are either too busy raising babies or can't afford to travel as they've just bought a house, i really like the shared experience though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Been to hundreds of gigs over they years, been with large groups, a singles friend and on my own, i'm happy with either one of them.

Sometimes nobody else fancies going so what do i do? Miss out? Nah, no issue with going on my own at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭furiousox

Been going to gigs on my own for years now.

Initially it felt strange but now I much prefer it.

Band announces gig, buy single ticket, arrive at gig in my own time, don't bother drinking, enjoy gig because I can focus 100% on the show,

In the last few weeks I was at john fogerty in dublin, sparks in london and roger waters in glasgow and I enjoyed them all immensely.

Judas Priest are playing Dublin next March, I already got my ticket in the presale weeks ago.

I sent the link to some friends and when I spoke to them recently they were "oh yeah, must get a ticket. What date are they playing again?"

Once you get used to doing your own thing you soon tire of that sort of nonsense.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Another recommendation for trying it

I used to feel the same, but then I just did it and never looked back. I'd rather go with someone who'd love it too, but my music taste means that often doesn't happen. I'd rather go by myself than drag along someone who won't be that in to it

The inbetweeny bits can be a bit awkward, but i do normally grab a pint, have a nose at the merch, go to the loo. Once the music starts though, everyone's eyes forward and in the zone, it doesn't matter that you're by yourself at all. In fact, at that point, I'd probably rather be alone as there's no distraction at all

Definitely just give it a go. You'll probably love it

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've gone travelling on my own, most cinema trips and I've done a fair few gigs alone now too. I love doing things alone for the most part, especially travel. I do find standing gigs on my own the hardest though. I find being around people draining a lot of the time 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...going to a festival alone in a couple of weeks, theres no camping at it, as its not that kind of festival, but i ll be camping for it, cant wait!

I would highly recommend travel alone, go where you want, do what you want, when you want. It's great

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...been going to gigs all over the world on my own for years, i love it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've never hesitated about going to gigs on my own, done it for years. On the other hand, I would never go to a restaurant on my own. Maybe in a Pub sitting at the bar I would order something to eat, but enter a restaurant alone would be a challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Went to a gig back in march alone, probably second time ever. No point in dragging people along if they are not interested. Got the ticket 2days before the concert. Got a brilliant seat right in the middle at the front as it was an odd one out. Didn't have to organise or arrange anything with anyone. Felt a bit awkward at first and then it was fine. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I enjoy going to gigs alone. I'm not there for a social occasion but am there to see the band I like. No issues with it whatsoever. I love having people along but being alone definitely doesn't put me off. And like others have said, there's nothing worse than having people along at a gig that aren't into the music!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Only time I've been to one with anyone else in the last few years was when I took my daughter to Post Malone earlier this year. She had just split up from her boyfriend and had no-one to go with and indeed needed a lift up from the south coast to Dublin. It's certainly not a gig I would have gone to otherwise

I try to make the most of my "road-trips" without having to worry about anyone else. Back in 2021 I took in a Champions League match in Manchester on the Wednesday, Genesis in Newcastle the Thursday, Rugby League in St Helens the Friday, headed over to Donington Park on the Saturday morning/afternoon, the Steve Hackett in Nottingham that evening, Sale Sharks Rugy Union the Sunday afternoon and Roger Taylor in Manchester in the evening

Today I'm in Leeds for cricket having spent the last 2 days in Glasgow for Roger waters. I plan my life on a spreadsheet, but there is no way there would be anyone else who would wish to take in the same activities. Half the fun is planning it all, sometimes selling a ticket for one night to pick one up for a day or two later so I can fit in a more recently announced gig

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

I love going by myself. My first alone was The Black Crowes in 1991 when I was still a teenager. Nobody else was going but I wanted to see them so just went. About half the gigs I go to now are by myself. No complainers, arguments, those wanting to leave or stay, bad time keepers and such. Getting lost in a crowd is also something to be cherished. Soak it up instead of going out for a night yapping.

The only ones over the years I would not have gone to alone were some raves where having a few friends might have come in handy just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Yea same as most of the above sentiments....I go on my own to most gigs as very few with same tastes as me. Hate the dragging someone along who's not interested.

I travel about 90mins to Dublin ( Red Cow ) and then Luas into town for gigs. I actually love the travelling home with the music blasting.

Plenty of singles at gigs from what I observe

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

i am a very independent lady as well and go lots of places on my own, it saves so much hassle i am single no commitments and if i was to be waiting around trying to get someone to go to a gig with me i would still be waiting!! i am now comfortable going to stuff on my own - i go to the theatre, cinema, mainly big stuff like in the point or whatever that is called now!! showing my age here but i can be independent and don't have to rely on anyone. you go for it girl....

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I went to a gig alone and enjoyed myself. I wouldn't have said no to some company but at that time nobody else was interested so i went myself. No one will really care that you're alone and you might even make a few friends along the way seeing as you'll have that gig and music in common. I also go to the cinema myself now and then and i don't think once about it. I enjoy sitting in silence and just watching the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Zarkandar

These days I'd say about half the gigs I go to are on my own, loads of people now have family commitments or just aren't keeping up with new music and I definitely find it better on own than bringing someone who may not enjoy the gig, as even if they're just watching politely, you then worry are they enjoying themselves and you can't enjoy the gig yourself. First few times I went by myself, when I went into watch support act, the gap between support & main act could be a bit awkward with everyone else chatting in groups but you quickly get past that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have gone to many gigs alone. There is great craic to be had if you were with friend(s) but sometimes that's not possible.. especially for concerts mid week.

However i can imagine it could be different for women on their own. I'm glad to hear that the reaction has been positive in general for women going on their own.

The only thing for me is when going to the cinema. I am a big fan of animation and none of my friends are so I'm a little bit wary of going to animated movies on my own... just the optics aren't good. It doesn't put me off but I'm always a little bit paranoid so usually I aim for later showings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'd rather if gigs were full of loners interested in the music, over inane dickheads only there for a nice f*cking chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭fafy

I have 3 pronged strategy.

The biggest chunk of gigs, i go to with a close friend, were on the same page on most things musically, but have differences too musically, have gone to Europe and the UK multiple times with them, local gigs and Dublin gigs. If we need to get up close, and q for a few hours, for bigger arena/stadium gigs ,we don’t drink until after the gig, its just a pain.

The next batch is gigs i go to, with my partner, our tastes are quite different, but theres a good few we both like, so we go together.

Then theres a smaller batch of gigs, i go to on my own, these tend to be niche acts, i don’t bother asking anyone, as i want to see them, and know, most people wouldn’t get it. I’ve met randomers at many of these gigs and had a good time, and when my friend twisted their ankle a few days before EP last year, i went on my own, and would do it again as many people there, are in the same boat, and as they are there for the weekend, people are more inclined to chat, as not going anywhere else.

Generally, if going with someone else, if youre big into the act and they never even heard of them, that may not be a good idea, for more well known acts, they maybe some appreciation, but if its a niche act, then go on your own, as someone not into them, will be a liability ! However, if you can find a friend of a friend/work colleague etc with similar music interests, that might be better.

Advertisement