Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

covid discussions

Options
  • 03-06-2023 2:50pm

There are numerous threads in the covid forum that I have been threadbanned by Beasty, this in my opinion unacceptable as he is censoring open discussion on the outcomes of covid.

It is clear based on the large number of other posters who have also been threadbanned that he has exceeded his moderation duties such that he is suppressing any discussion that shows the official response to covid was excessive.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from DRP as this isn't DRP related.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It's high time that Beasty was put out to pasture. He is incapable of fairly moderating/administering this site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Were you given a reason for each of the threadbans?

Were you told you were being censored, or was it something rule/charter related?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Such as the one you got threadbanned today because you decided to have a dig at me

TBH OP you may well soon have something you can appeal in the DRP because I'm pretty close to permanently banning you from the forum for your behaviour in it over an extended period

It is really to do with the fact that Beasty has taken upon himself to be extremely inflexible in relation to any discussions covid related, he refuses to allow other posters who have genuine reasons to have a grievienc to discuss their griviences about how cvovid was mishandled by the authorities. It seems that there are some posters who are very keen to shut down any discussions that criticise the official line taken and Beasty is more than happy to remove posts, ban posters to keep this small group of users happy. He has in my opinion become very biased and therefore should not be participating in moderating with such a biased viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you like I'll list out all the sanctions you have received from me in connection with the forum. Readers can then make their own minds up

It won't be for a while though as I am going to be travelling for a couple more days yet

By all means, you can also list all the posters you have threadbanned because they have made anti-covid comments that you disagree with.

There is a very clear bias in the way you have moderated this forum, very supportive to those who want the discussions about the risks and adverse affects of the measures silences as much as possible.

Even today, you're still threadbanning people.

February 2022. You stated

"The vax only has a temporary protection for some older people who are already in poor health."

I gave a 0 point warning explaining that your post was misinformation as it is accepted that vaccines reduce transmission and symptoms

November 2022. You stated

"Please, do you have to rely on press releases after all the lies that they have spouted over the past three years!

Ask those same doctors do they still believe what they said was correct."

I gave a 0 point warning instructing you to quit the conspiracy theory nonsense

December 2022 You told another poster

"...it is clear your reading comprehension needs a lot to be desired"

I gave a 0 point warning stating "uncivil - next time it's a threadban"

December 2022. You stated

"the vaccine that was developed to suppress only the spike protein and was unable to protect when variants changed other components of the virus, the millions of cases in vaccinated people hold that as an undeniable fact."

"While I do acknowledge that for the very old, the weak and already immunocompromised the vaccine was better than no vaccine, for the remainder of the healthy population, the risk benefit analysis says otherwise."

"What do you say to all those poor people who had to watch their elderly parents or relatives die alone behind a perspex screen due to these crazy regulations! I could also add the gimps who forced families to stand two metres apart while mourning them at the funerals.

Was it correct for a 95 year old woman to be forcibly separated from her family due to the covid regulations! This was the cruel reality of the rules." )with a picture of Queen Elisabeth at Prince Philip's funeral added)

I gave a 0 point warning

"trolling anti vax nonsense

Do not post in this thread again"

February 2023 - 1 point warning for ignoring the threadban

March 2023, you posted

"Effectively useless and very limited effect, have similar meanings so don't be playing word bingo with me.

The point has been proven, otherwise the numbers wouldn't have continued to rise when the {mask} mandates were imposed on people, even today, you can't visit a doctor without having to wear one! Now that's completely pointless as almost no one wears one outside of the medical establishment.

Reposted due to an "offensive" word which caused the original to be deleted, this place is getting very "Chinese" these days."

I gave a 2 point warning for whinging about moderation and using information gleaned from the mods forum to inform your post.

May 2023, you posted

"It's probably more to do with the fact that they've been so traumatised by the relentless COVID scare propaganda that was hammered into everyone, that they can't see beyond the fact that things are now nearly back to normal, some people are going to need years of therapy to remove their fear of being in public without a mask."

I gave a 0 point warning stating "Cut out this nonsense or you will be threadbanned"

May 2023 you posted

"Seriously! you remind me of one of those ARP wardens who was still insisting on blackout rules in 1946, just in case the Luftwaffe decided to resurrect themselves for another raid!"

A very clear dig at me and my moderation. You were threadbanned for that

Seriously? You think you can defend a single one of these? It really shows you for the anti-vax Covid sceptic troll you are

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Based on this information posted how can this person remain to be a moderator on this site who has full access to all the mod tools outside their designated forums?

With respect, you're clearly showing a severe bias here, you have failed to mention the threads that you deleted because they referenced a certain Doctor who has done more research into the anti covid measures taken, that particular doctor changed his view point based on the data that he found, this has since ben and is continuing to be proven to be more correct that the government line.

Blocking any such discussions and also trying to hide thee discussions by deleting so many posts and banning so many users for attempting to discuss the issues raised by the anticovid measures, is censorship, pure and simple.

I would like people to see that there is a difference between moderation and out and out censorship, Beasty is clearly on the side of censorship as opposed to impartial moderation.

With reference to the "I gave a 2 point warning for whinging about moderation and using information gleaned from the mods forum to inform your post." that was not necessary for me to view the reported posts forum as all the information was in the thread!

"Seriously? You think you can defend a single one of these? It really shows you for the anti-vax Covid sceptic troll you are". this is where your bias is showing and as more evidence surfaces, excess deaths etc post covid and similar data, my stance will be proven to be correct. Suppression of contrary information and data is very unscientific and in the long term very damaging.

• Advertisement

I stated what I said I would state

Are you going on about that retired nurse who repeatedly spouted conspiracy nonsense, like yourself? A self appointed "expert"?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

So you are 100% right and anyone who disagrees with you anything you say is wrong?

I haven't posted in covid discussions for over a year now as you would just threadban or sanction me at the drop of a hat (despite a long and completely long history in other forums) just for having a different opinion to you.

This is no way to moderate or be admin in a discussion site. I don't see anything in what Dolanbaker has said to warrant sanction, his opinions are just as valued as yours and arguably more educated.

So you think mods should be able to "inform" their posting with information they pick up from the mods forum not related to the forum they mod?

You think we should permit anyone to ignore threadbans?

Those were the only two pointed warnings

And no, we do not want posters posting stuff that is clearly against the proven/established science. You may think the vaccines are no use whatsoever but we are not giving a platform to people looking to encourage others to go against very clear and scientifically established public health measures

And to be absolutely clear my own views are irrelevant to the actions taken. Telling people that vaccines do not work is actually medical advice which is against site rules

I don't see anywhere he said they don't work, just that they don't work as well as advertised.

Anyway if that's true then surely telling people they do work is also medical advice and against the site rules?

I would suggest you read the first post in the list of warnings issued

It was fully acknowledged that when Omicron became dominant their efficacy was reduced but the vaccines did continue to reduce transmission and symptoms.

At no point did I tell people not to get vaxxed, never!

What I did say many times is that compelling people to get vaxxed is wrong and we should never have been put into a situation where you are forced into choosing between having a job, being able to travel and many other activities that were being denied to those who chose to not get vaccinated.

The fact that even beasty now acknowledges that the vaccines were not as effective as originally claimed, really shows that many of us were correct to highlight this in the past. But we're repeatedly silenced for doing so.

As another example, I started a thread that included a video published by Dr Campbell, beasty locked the thread with the comment "not that nurse again" no discussion about the data presented, simply shut down.

Did you or did you not say

"The vax only has a temporary protection for some older people who are already in poor health"?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's noticeable that the OP has failed to point out that they were banned not just from forums moderated by Beasty.

They are also thread banned from the conspiracy theory thread on covid vaccine safety.

Here's a sample warning for "non-sensical bad faith posting":

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That is correct and has since been proven to be correct, as history has shown that the vast majority of covid cases occurred after the vaccination rollout!

• Advertisement

It is proven that vaccines do what it says on the tin - reduce transmission and symptoms - that is across all cohorts, not just older people in poor health

Did you not realise that Omicron was a more transmissible variant than the earlier ones?

Did you not realise that when infected the vaccines reduce symptoms?

This is probably not the place to debate you hypotheses - the Covid form would probably be best. The issue at hand is that you don't allow these debates to take place there.

The poster makes declarations of proof without evidence. Either misinformation, disinformation, or entirely bad faith misrepresentations.

Very often the poster will make a claim and when the basis for the claim is dragged out of them then actually the study does not say what they claimed - or actually disproves or contradicts it

No response from the poster accepting this. They ignore any response that plainly disproves their claim. No awareness from them is shown they either misunderstood the study. They just move onto the next piece of bad faith nonsense. That is not a debate. It is not a debate when someone carries on like that. It is just a dump of disinformation.

That is where moderation comes in.

Here we have a classic example of a poster who will do anything to silence other posters whop are critical of the covid restrictions, the compelling of vaccination, no jab no job etc etc, simply claim misinformation to kill the debate.

This is where moderation censorship comes in.

You cannot have it both ways, the vaccines cannot be effective when millions get infected after vaccination and you cannot claim that it reduces symptoms when the virus has mutated into a far milder variant.

As someone who claims to be a member of the scientific community, you should know these factors.

These are examples of the types of discussions that some posters want suppressed and beasty is happy to accommodate.

Why didnt you mention you had been banned from an entirely different forum, by a different moderator, on a covid related thread?

It is not censorship to prohibit shouting fire in a crowded theatre. There can be no 'debate' of such a claim. Any more than unfounded scaremongering should be allowed under the pretence of debate.

Scaremongering was first and forefront in the government's strategy from about March 2020, remember the daily covid news bulletins and the propaganda campaigns to get everyone to abide by the lockdowns while allowing "essential workers" free reign to travel the country, as an "essential worker" I had far more freedom than many others, made a complete mockery of the situation, of course we were not allowed to discuss these matters.

Same with misgivings about a vaccine that was rushed out in less that a year when normal medication can easily take 10 years to come to market with all the stringent testing that is mandated, or in the case of these vaccines simply ignored. The rollout was in fact the clinical trials, we have since seen one vaccine quietly withdrawn and others restricted in their use due to all the adverse affects, but these discussions were silenced!

One of the reasons vaccines were withdrawn or limited was because other vaccines were available with better safety profile.

And the fact that this process occurs shows that the authorities are actively monitoring the vaccines for benefit versus risk.

The authorities who oversaw the clinical trials and the process to expedite were well aware of the reasons for the usual delays in timelines.

You know this yet pretend not to.

The effectiveness of the vaccines at protecting versus severe covid is established beyond all reasonable doubt. To assert it is because of the virus mutating is completely without foundation. The studies eatablishing the effectiveness occurred for vaccinated v unvaccinated happened at the same time. The same variants were in circulation.

It is in a microcosm an example of the tactics you have used across multiple forums to dump misinformation about vaccines.

• Advertisement

You have just confirmed that the ones that were withdrawn were not safe, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement