Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Tarraco DSG gearbox issues - "Gearbox in emergency mode"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Falls under the small claims court limit of 2k, I would say you have a good chance of winning your case if you put in a claim.

Service history with main dealer, low miles and just out of warranty. Something like a gearbox should last a reasonable amount of time, not just outside of the warranty period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

So my local Seat dealer came back and advised again that Seat are not going to provide any Goodwill on the repair. They said I could try the Seat Dealer where I bought the car as they may be able to help.

Rang the Seat where I got the car in Lucan and they said they have no goodwill budget but I should try Seat Customer Care and gave me their number.

Rang Seat Customer care and they told me that its up to the individual dealer to provide goodwill, and not Seat themselves and the Customer Care rep is going to contact my local Seat about this.

Such a run around and I'm really leaning towards changing car once this issue is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭User1998

I can’t see how it would hold up in court. Out of warranty, 4 years old, and almost 90k km’s on the clock.

You said miles, which is almost 90k km’s.

How much would Seat charge you if you took the car back and went elsewhere?

• Advertisement

apologies, your right I said miles originally. I meant KMs.

Not sure the price, Im holding off asking to see what Customer Care come back with but they said even if I green lit the repairs, its 10days to 2 weeks before they have the parts

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If its 53k km, I'd certainly try small claims court.

If nothing else it will at least force a response from Seat.

The run around you are getting is a disgrace. It's an expensive vehicle to buy but the service so far doesn't match that.

Also something to look into is parts availability. Ring around. A parts guy might let it split that these are on back order due to demand / number of failures...... which would only strengthen your case.

Thats very reasonable.. if all else fails it might be worth getting the receipt which outlines what needs to be done and seeing what other garages will charge

Results of the diagnostic.... blooming handwriting

• Advertisement

just an update. Told the dealer to go ahead with repair and they had to order the part to me made specifically for my car and 500euro deposit.

Ordered on 9th june and was told 10day to 2 weeks. Rang after 2 weeks, no part. Rang yesterday and told it could be another 10 days.

Honestly, once I get the car repaired, Im thinking of going to Kia for a Sorento.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

For other people with similar problems, If you can find a good independent mechanic then I'd recommend these guys

https://www.ecutesting.com/

I had the DSG on my Octavia go south, mechanic took off the mechatronic box and said send it to these guys, came back 10 days later fitted back on car all done for way less than 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭GavPJ

What a lousy outcome!!! Bad form from Seat Ireland.

This is why I hate any Audi/VW/Skoda/Seats with that poxy DSG gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did you get any goodwill from Seat OP? Hope you're not waiting much longer either.

I got no Goodwill from Seat or the dealers I dealt with. Still waiting on the part so ordered 9th june and still here.

Thankfull I havent had the error on the gearbox in 2 weeks, but I havent driven for more than 15mins at a time as forums online show it mainly happens on longer journeys.

Up until this happened, I really loved that car but this experience has really put me off Seat.

Just a casual question, is the Seat Terraco a wet or dry clutch? If it's wet then gearbox oil changes are essential to its life if anything like the Skoda wet clutches.

Wet clutch according to seat website. Car is at 52.5 thousand killometers and has been serviced by Seat at the set intervals so hopefully they have done this when required.

Reckon 40k miles which is 64k km.

Just something for anyone with DSG or contemplating buying one to be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭zg3409

Changing gearbox oil at specified interval is very very important. In this case I think car was not even due first change.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can't believe the op in this case has agreed to pay.

Madness. Small claims all the way.

Judges are coming down on the side of cheap used car buyers with failures smaller than this after 6 months.

An expensive vehicle bought new with 50k miles needing gearbox repair would have to get a favourable outcome from small claims process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

You're partially right - I'm sure the OP needs his car fixed ASAP so he's agreed to the repair. Then try and recoup the costs afterwards

Yeah, bascially I need my car. I have only been taking it on short drives of 20 mins or less and lucklily I havent had the error on the gearbox in the last 2 weeks. Still waiting for the part to come in which was ordered 9th June so will call the dealer later today.

Hopefully my last update. After chasing the dealer, on July 25th I emailed them to get in writing what was going on. Someone came back saying it was part supplier and they would only be shipping the part Week 30 (the week I emailed) and they would get me in on 4th Aug for the repair.

Got the repair done, got a small discount for the delay and job is completed, but my time with that dealer is pretty much done. As car is out of warrenty, ill be going to a good independant mechanic again.

At least now I can drive my car for more than 30 mins without the worry of gearbox issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Buffman

Glad to here you got going OP.

Personally if it was me, I'd still submit the small claim. Just because you were forced to pay up to get back on the road doesn't affect it at all.

The €25 fee could be the best €25 you ever spend.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Glad to hear you are sorted at last OP. I wouldn't let it go, put a claim into the SCC. You were treated shockingly considering the age and expense of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

I wouldn't be done with the dealer - I'd be done with the brand. Manufacturers have to come to the table on high-expense claims on components that should not fail at low mileage / early in life.

Advertisement