Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Todays EVs. Which ones are future classics?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

LOl, as a proud owner of one, I'm firmly in the "it's fugly" category, and will date accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

I think the model 3 more than the Y. I just find the Y frumpy. Not sure about the Buzz purely because it's obviously a rehash of the old VW camper van, which had character in spades. Nice though.

The problem with modern design is modern safety and environmental standards.

I'll still include the Megane in my list as it's a hoot to drive and is as rapid as a rapid thing, especially when in sport and the throttle response is not mushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

I think the ID.4 is blander than a week old trifle. The Peugeot is not much better. The best looking of the lot is possibly the Tuscon closely followed by the Megane.

An interesting little experiment. Do a google image search on each of the above. The manufacturers images will show what they consider as the best views. Then think of the viewing angles not shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭micks_address

will any of the ev's be classics like ice cars though? Wont they eventually need a new battery in say 15 years or so and they become more disposable? Doubt id fancy sticking a 20k battery in in 20 year old id4..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Typically some cells in battery become weaker, so you can just replace them and quite likely using good cells from scraped car. For safety reasons batteries are placed under car in the middle so they are very likely to avoid damage accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭D_D

But then how are some folks saying a BMW i3 will be a classic when alot of folks find it absolutely fugly and I don't think it's going to age well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

The I3 is nearly 10 years old and the design hasn't aged at all.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭D_D

I suppose isn't beauty in the eye of the beholder? I see them about and couldn't fathom driving one...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

Reading through the comments, I see no love for the I-pace, surprising as the design and drive are generally well regarded by reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Maybe the BMW I8. Unloved as was the M1.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zg3409

With battery packs it's likely people will swap out and repair /replace individual cells for the first 20 years of life. Then aftermarket newer higher capacity replacements will make sense for common EVs such as leaf. Recycling packs will only happen when there is no demand for working complete used packs which there seems to be. You can buy individual leaf and Tesla cells on ebay and I can imagine people swapping motors and inverters etc to keep cars going.

In terms of rarity the MX5 and old mini are very popular classics but they are not that rare. They are known to be good drives, cheap to buy, parts readily available, reliable and don't look bad. " Everyday classics" is a term used for low cost easily maintained classics that are not rare. Some can have very bad performance e.g. old beetle but still a definite classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭creedp

I think the i3 has quirky design that will age well. Agree with earlier Ioniq 5 owner that it won't be a classic design. Its a very competent, spacious car but I think it has a bland rather than a fugly design. I'm not sure why but I think the Ioniq 5 looks like a butch 1980s era Mazda 323...maybe a trip to specsavers is required

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interesting thread and depends on the region what will be classic. For us here in Ireland I guess the BMW i3 and the Tesla Model S are prime candidates as they were very early entrants in the EV market well over a decade ago, very good at what they do and their number is very limited and they haven't been sold here for a while and you can't really import one any more. To put things into perspective, I was an early adopter buying my first EV nearly 7 years ago and people thought I had 7 heads when I told them. They said the battery would need replacing every year or two and depreciation would be horrendous. At the time, out of 2 million private cars in Ireland, there were a bit more than 1000 EVs. That car was a Hyundai Ioniq classic 28kWh. Maybe a classic to be? The first really affordable electric car that had a reasonable range at motorway speeds (the main failing of the Nissan Leaf)

The Tesla is very good looking and any other owner will tell you they are still amazed at the daily looks and gazes and finger pointing and shouting "Tesla!" (mainly from kids) where ever you go - in poor or rich areas. After owning two of these cars for well over 3 years, I am still amazed by this.

BMW i3 is ugly and a weird form factor. With tall but very skinny tyres and wheels. But it drives brilliantly and was far ahead of its time for a European EV.

Advertisement