Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt question....again!!!

Options
  • 31-05-2023 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Apologies in advance folks.

Looking at a 2015 bike in northern ireland.

It was imported from UK into northern ireland and registered in Northern ireland in March 2021.

Does this mean extra customs charges other than vrt?

Cheers

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Was it imported into northern Ireland before midnight 31/12/20? Thats the relevant date.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭robbie_63

from what I can work out it was registered to a new owner in ni in march 21,so would have been imported around that time I guess.

Could have been imported earlier but only sold in March but I suspect it would be after Dec 20.

Does it count the date it came into the country or the date it was registered to new owner?

The date it came into the country. Ferry ticket showing it's reg would suffice.

Put in a query with revenue and they just pointed me towards the vrt page on their website which is little use.

The bike was registered in NI in March 21 but I can't find any info on when it would have come into the country.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

If you don't have any proof when it came into NI, then expect duty and VAT to apply.

Duty rate depends on Country of Origin (COO) rules (e.g. where it is considered manufactured) and engine cc. This can be up to 8%. VAT also gets added at 23%

• Advertisement

How can you not find any info ? Did the seller import it or someone else.

Enter its reg here and see when it was motd last in England.

it should show the location and date of mots

Yeah it was imported after the cut off in 21 as there was an mot in the UK in early January 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If it was brought in after the cut-off date, you'll be paying 23% VAT on it to reg it here, plus 10% Customs

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭muddle84

Unless it was manufactured in the UK, then its exempt from Customs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement